OCD in a youngster

racer

New User
Visit site
Here's my story(and it's quite long!):

I have a 2 year old warmblood with OCD. I have had her since birth and she has been handled ever since, my farrier said she is the best youngster he has ever seen and my whole yard would agree she is a brilliant behaved creature. Her annual vaccination was done in Sept 2010 and the vet that came out(from one of the university hospitals), who has since had many complaints registered about her from several owners, without examining my horse, wrote on her records she had fusions of the joints in her rear limbs and thus had OCD. She recommended xrays. To cut a (very) long story short I had nothing but trouble with this university hospital who resulted in telling me that my horse was a dangerous animal they couldn't handle - and this really is another story but I am absolutely furious with them over this - and that she needed to mature so bring her back in a few months.

Over the debacle, I went to another vet in April this year. She came out, sedated the youngster, xrayed her no problem and it was concluded she has OCD of the hocks. Then we had another disaster - I live with my mum and at that time, we had moved into her partner's house who then turned violent and my horses were threatened etc so to cut another long story short, we had to postpone the op. Anyway, now we are sorted we started to move with the op but now insurance are proving a problem.

I have been with NFU Mutual for 9 years and had 2 claims on another horse with no issue, however they are now trying to throw a lot of spanners in the works with this case. I am concerned that my 12month gap is almost up and they are dragging their feet with the claim.

So, the worse case scenario is they won't pay or pay on time and I will have to pay for the op myself which will again drag it out for a few months whilst we put the funds in place.

Can anyone else who has had a similar situation, recommend any supplements/injections/holistic(never tried before) or anything to ease or prevent the condition worsening?

In my opinion and my vets, the condition isn't that bad but is still evident.

minmax

Visit site
If you search OCD on here you will find loads of advice and info. My youngster was also labeled as dangerous, so he didn't have the correct treatment for his OCD. He should have had pressage boots on but my vet at the time said not worth it... if only I had ignored him! He had both hocks cleaned out and the stifles checked..... lots of money. Get NFU to cough up, get your vet on the case too. Say its urgent. I would be phoning all day every day until they accept the claim.
Supps wise, I give mine Cortaflex, ginger, turmeric,marigold and clivers and comphrey every few months. I did give him MSM too at first.
If your horse has "mice" you need them cleaned out, the joint may need to be debribed of any other bits. Mine ws a rite off, at 3. He is 5 now and doing a few days schooling and a bit of hacking..... he hasn't been written off by me yet.
Good luck.

rockysmum

Visit site
OCD can be treated by operation or by joint injections, I think the operation has better results. Apparently a lot of horses have it but it isn't always picked up. It is hereditary but diet can affect it. Youngsters which have been fed up for the showring etc are more prone.

A couple of years ago an operation on both hind legs cost just less than £2000 with associated vets bills being another £1000. This was Leahirst at Liverpool.

Not all insurance companies will pay for this, it depends whether they exclude hereditary / development problems, many do.

Long term they are more prone to arthritus and need to stay on a glucosomine supplement for life.