OCD in stifles

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Talk to me about OCD in stifles ….

Today I got the dreaded call that my 5Yo Dutch warmblood mare has OCD in her stifles.

When I say I have barely done anything with her I mean she’s not even left the ground yet and she’s bred to SJ.

She was a 3/4 out of 10 for lameness on right hind hence the need to scan her stifles.

There doesn’t seem to much on this online and feel like is there much point in me bothering to go through surgery and continue her education? I feel so drained and deflated this is my third horse running with serious problems and I’m just exhausted from problem after problem after problem.
Livery is so expensive and I feel like I’m just burning through money for no real enjoyment.

Any stories on real experiences with this?

Landcruiser

Visit site
My young mare was investigated for this as her brother was operated on for it at 18 months, and it was suspected she had the same. She had both stifles laprascopically examined after imagery was inconclusive. It turned out to be a damaged meniscus with her - but meanwhile I had researched OCD. I'm surprised you can't find much online OP, I found lots of stuff, including videos of laprascope ops, and plenty on rehab too. It's pretty pricey, and the box rest and controlled hand walking is a bit of a nightmare especially with a youngster - but the prognosis is very good generally and well worth doing in a 5 yr old. It's a very routine op for equine ortho vets.

eggs

Visit site
I've known three WBs who had OCD in their stifles. All were operated on and all came good and are out competing.