OCD in the stifle!!!??!!!

ChelseaGostomska

Visit site
Talk to me about OCD in stifles ….

Today I got the dreaded call that my 5Yo Dutch warmblood mare has OCD in her stifles.

When I say I have barely done anything with her I mean she’s not even left the ground yet and she’s bred to SJ.

She was a 3/4 out of 10 for lameness on right hind hence the need to scan her stifles.

There doesn’t seem to much on this online and feel like is there much point in me bothering to go through surgery and continue her education? I feel so drained and deflated this is my third horse running with serious problems and I’m just exhausted from problem after problem after problem.
Livery is so expensive and I feel like I’m just burning through money for no real enjoyment.

Any stories on real experiences with this?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
My appy x TB had this. Is it bad enough to require surgery straight away ? And what type of surgery- screw or bone chip removal?
Mine had it quite mildly so tried treating without surgery with PRP- he responded to it very well and was sound in 2 weeks.
Sadly he turned out to be a wobbler so had to be PTS but initially the stifle looked to respond well.

I understand that most horses do well after surgery too so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet

Tacobell

Visit site
I have two with ocd . One had surgery when he was young and the other is very mild, but we monitor it. Both out successfully showjumping .
Well, one has navicular that we are currently transitioning to barefoot but not related.

lannerch

Visit site
I wouldn’t hesitate to have athroscopy as X-rays and scans cannot tell you the extent of the problem.
My horse had athroscopy as a 5yo , the cartilage damage was quite extensive , even though it looked a lot less in the scan, she had her cartilage debraded , then full rehab , and has come back to eventing . She was never lame on it at all . We had her scanned because she started backing off a fence more and more thank goodness I did .