Odd bruising in mouth? Ideas?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
The vet is out Wednesday, if he can't come tomorrow (which I'm hoping)

I'm no Ellen Whittaker but I haven't yanked her around to cause that bruising, I'm confident it's not from my handling I'm just concerned where it's come from :( I am going to change her bit though just incase.

Marydoll

Visit site
The vet is out Wednesday, if he can't come tomorrow (which I'm hoping)

I'm no Ellen Whittaker but I haven't yanked her around to cause that bruising, I'm confident it's not from my handling I'm just concerned where it's come from :( I am going to change her bit though just incase.

My friend has good hands and was really upset she might have inadvertently "done something".Doesnt yank her horse about either, dont beat yourself up.

meandmyself

Visit site
Does she wear a rug to go out? Friend's pony caught his jaw in his rug and bruised his mouth. Looked a lot like what your girl has done.

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Hi there, so difficult to say without seeing but I am pretty sure this is trauma related either from chewing a rope and getting it stuck for a millisecond and then throwing her head up. This is quite low for butting trauma but is the kind of bruising I would expect to see from it. V doubtful it is from erupting canines.
Keep an eye on the area, it is really easy for the interdental space to fracture (sequestra - common in polo ponies) with small fragments
Hope this helps!

cptrayes

Visit site
It is exactly where the horse I hunt damages his mouth when he pulls out hunting. I have never understood how, because it is so much lower than the bit sits in his mouth, but nevertheless, it is where the damage happens and it is definitely his bit that does it because nothing else goes in his mouth.

Don't blame yourself too much, some horses have very easily marked gums :(

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
She is rugged to go out yes, though there is no damage to her rug (yet!)
VictoriaEDT- it's so odd isn't it? She's not been tied up so it's not from a rope but could she have put her mouth over a branch and caught it perhaps? There are trees in her field.

I've emailed that horse bit shop lady for advice but I'm probably going to go for a NS losenge snaffle- however I'm not doing anything with her until my vet comes first. :( hate the idea that she's in pain.

nixxyz

Visit site
just a wild thought but maybe someone has ridden your horse in the field with a rope or string through its mouth?? ive heard of it happening before so maybe a possibility??

amandap

Visit site
I wasn't saying you had just offering some suggestions that came to mind. It's hard to write stuff without causing offense which I didn't mean to.

I do think we underestimate how sensitive the bars are and how much force we use when a horse takes a pull. I wonder if letting this heal first before using a bit is an idea? I'm imagining it may be extra tender at the moment and the horse might associate a new bit with the discomfort? Just pondering out loud here btw...

ps.I hope it heals soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
Could this possibly have nothing to do with the bit or with injury but be evidence of spontaneous bleeding ? Have you checked carefully over the rest of her body for signs of 'bruising'. I'm just wondering about Thrombocytopenia, a disorder with the platelets that can sometimes resolve on its own but will sometimes need urgent treatment. If it doesn't resolve itself pdq I'd get a vet to advise.

forestfantasy

Visit site
Is it just one one side? is it possible that she could have been kicked by a field companion? A horse without back shoes could have left no trace of this on the outside her face.
Or possibly banged her mouth on the gate/stable door/wall etc..

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
She's out with a small herd all of which have shoes on: although tonight she is in for the night to keep an eye on her.

I can't see any bruising elsewhere, it was the same this evening.