Odd lumps?

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, my boy has recently developed small, flat lumps. They don't appear to be annoying him and I thought 'fly bites'. However, he keeps getting more and today I noticed a round scrape on his flank and also the two lumps on his check are scabby and bleeding?
I wondered about ringworm? Any other suggestions? He was in all night for his legs so not likely to be flies opening the lumps..

Natalie_H

Visit site
It could be an allergic reaction (urticaria). My boy is allergic to a variety of cereals, other foods, and even storage mites in hay. When he reacts to something, he develops lumps over his body - the severity of them varies. Some people have told me it looks like ringworm, but this is a misconception. When the lumps come up they then flatten in the middle and gradually flatten outwards leaving the ring shaped marks which also eventually disappear. Sometimes he is itchy, and other times he doesn't seem bothered. In some cases he will rub them and they will discharge and then dry so they look scabby. I now have control over the problem with anti-histamines. Has he eaten anything different / been in a different field / or been exposed to anything different recently? If you have any photos, I could let you know if they look the same as the lumps my boy gets.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
my boy came up with small lumps around his girth area and hindquarters last week which do look very much like fly bites, his were like little scabs which would bleed although he didn't seem irritated by them. the vet has said he has urticaria, which in his case is probably an intolerance to sugar. If you got last weeks H&H there is an ad in there by Allen & Page for their ride & relax with a picture of a horse with the same sort of lumps as my boy had.

Natalie_H

Visit site
I actually looked at the Allen & Page ride & relax for him - unfortunately it contains peas & linseed which he is also allergic too! I think with urticaria you have had a result if you can find out the cause of the problem in order to eliminate it. The problem with him is that he is allergic to so many different things, the introduction of anything new can bring him out in lumps.