Odd question re micronised linseed!

lynz88

Visit site
I remember doing dares to eat horse feed as a kid. I can tell you that "sweet feed" is defo not sweet. I suspect you could eat it...

SaharaS

Visit site
I micronise whole linseed myself. It goes rancid within a week of being micronised..(even the stuff you buy ready milled)so you would essentially pay fortunes to feed a lower value/efficiency. It just goes in a bur mill till just before it starts to cake. A cheap coffee grinder works, but the blades blunt easily.

I make the biscuit base for no bake cheesecake with this..add cocoa powder and maple..sometimes just tea or coffee or butter/any combo.sweetened with dates maple or honey to taste/bind (or savoury) squish. Chill.add topping..Stuff face. (Repeatedly!) Occasionally I remember to take it to the horses.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I micronise whole linseed myself. It goes rancid within a week of being micronised..(even the stuff you buy ready milled)so you would essentially pay fortunes to feed a lower value/efficiency. It just goes in a bur mill till just before it starts to cake. A cheap coffee grinder works, but the blades blunt easily
The micronised linseed for horses is not just ground up. Depending on the manufacturer it is cooked in some way, Charnwood use a trademarked infrared process (Micronized®) others like marriages cook at 120°. It's them ground after. It has a shelf life much longer than a week!

honetpot

Visit site
The micronised linseed for horses is not just ground up. Depending on the manufacturer it is cooked in some way, Charnwood use a trademarked infrared process (Micronized®) others like marriages cook at 120°. It's them ground after. It has a shelf life much longer than a week!
PC had a visit to D&H and the smell of the cereal being flash cooked was lovely.

Last edited:

Marnie

Visit site
My dissertation when I did my degree years ago was on linseed as an animal feed - raw linseed does contain a compound that can produce cyanide as it degrades so it could potentially be toxic. It also contains an anti-vitamin B6 factor. I think you would have to eat a fair amount for toxicity but there are various articles about it if you do an internet search.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I remember doing dares to eat horse feed as a kid. I can tell you that "sweet feed" is defo not sweet. I suspect you could eat it...
Agree squished bits of corn and peas covered in molasses is not all that! 🤢

My mum used to put linseed on and in everything. She is fine!

Widgeon

Visit site
No idea to be honest, but what's to hurt? As kids we used to eat boiled barley and boiled linseed on a cold day and none of us died from it.
Yep....same here, we used to eat horse feed because it was....fun? It seemed fun at the time, anyway.....

Regarding the shelf life of a sack of micronised linseed, it lasts ages. Months anyway. Before I switched to feeding linseed oil I used to buy 20kg at a time and only fed a cup a day. Stored in a cold feed bin it never went off.

Widgeon

Visit site
Sugar beet wasn't very nice I recall.
Sugar beet was very disappointing. I can only assume that our riding instructor didn't feed her ponies the molassed stuff.

ETA We really were living our best lives weren't we....while our peers spent the weekend catching up on Dawson's Creek or whatever. Must be why we've clearly all grown into such well balanced and rational individuals

😂

Esmae

Visit site
Sugar beet was very disappointing. I can only assume that our riding instructor didn't feed her ponies the molassed stuff.

ETA We really were living our best lives weren't we....while our peers spent the weekend catching up on Dawson's Creek or whatever. Must be why we've clearly all grown into such well balanced and rational individuals

😂

You are clearly much younger than I am. (So are most folks now LOL !! What was Dawson's Creek?) There weren't molassed feeds as such back then. Not that I recall anyway. Molasses was only given as an extra for poorly horses. Yes it was a good way to grow up. Dirty, smelly, eating questionable stuff, drinking direct from the hosepipe and as fit as fleas!!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The local feed merchants used to make up their own mix called Hunters mix. It was high energy/calorie and I think molassed. That had milk pellets and bits of what I think were carob beans which tasted quite nice so we used to pick them out.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The local feed merchants used to make up their own mix called Hunters mix. It was high energy/calorie and I think molassed. That had milk pellets and bits of what I think were carob beans which tasted quite nice so we used to pick them out.
We called them locust beans. I've only just realised they are the same as carob.

Annagain

Visit site
You are clearly much younger than I am. (So are most folks now LOL !! What was Dawson's Creek?) There weren't molassed feeds as such back then. Not that I recall anyway. Molasses was only given as an extra for poorly horses. Yes it was a good way to grow up. Dirty, smelly, eating questionable stuff, drinking direct from the hosepipe and as fit as fleas!!
I was probably a few years too old for Dawson's Creek but still watched it in my early twenties! It was great hangover TV on a Sunday morning.

Esmae - it was an American teen drama about a group of friends in a small town. It launched the careers of quite a few Hollywood stars - mainly Katie Holmes, Michelle Williams and Joshua Jackson