Odd things that horsey people say ....

Eaglestone

Visit site
My friend's new horse got his foot stuck in the stock fencing last night and stood happily waiting to be 'removed' so that was a PHEW
smile.gif

Knowing that she has some white posts and tape, I asked whether she thought is would be a good idea if she put some tape (electrified!) up to stop him getting near it (as I would do that
smirk.gif
) and her reponse was "No that would not work"
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
.... end of conversation ...... is it me or was that not the solution
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

kerilli

Visit site
she's lucky he didn't rip his foot off... that time. silly cow.
you were right, that is the solution.
fwiw i've seen a horse on the operating table after nearly removing a front foot in sheep wire... "a mess" does not even begin to describe it.

Daisychain

Visit site
Yes you are right, TBH as i have got older i tend to think let them get on with it... and just dont give it a second thought, mention it once and thats it lol!

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
so what makes her say i wont work or was she just completely blunt about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

She wasn't exactly blunt, but it was said in such a way that it was not an option ....
mad.gif
.... I would have helped her sort it out, and she knows that
smile.gif

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
hmm... strange, you'd think she wouldnt want to waste the money she just spent on this new horse just seems completely mad that she is willing to let her horse injure itself when she has the posts and the tape already. even has a friend to help her put it up too. i think your friend is completely bonkers lol

lochpearl

Visit site
I have a similar problem at my yard in the fact that there is a clueless woman there, she has a connemara (sp) which she bought years ago for her daughter, daughter too scared to ride to she bought her another pony, she wont ride that now and it is a saint and the mother wont ride connemara as she is too scared of it (she says she rides when others aren't around!!) They have had the ponies there for 3 years and never sat on them!! Anyway mother was in stable with conemmara one day and got locked in so got the haynet and kind of used it to climb over stable door. Also on another note they hang the haynets so they touch the floor!! I had mentioned this as dangerous to them but wouldn't listen. Anyway one night I was at yard till 9pm for some reason and heard kicking in stable, was about to shout at horse and he was hanging from haynet, had it completely wrapped round his fetlock, it was cutting into his fetlock and leg was swollen around, managed to cut the pony loose and called owner. Her excuse was that the pony had watched her climb over the stable door with the haynet and he was copying her. Since then I have rescued the pony 6 times and in the end lost my rag this weekend and told them I would take the ring off the wall if they didn't start feeding it off the floor - they have now bought a very small bucket to put it's hay in!!!

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a similar problem at my yard in the fact that there is a clueless woman there, she has a connemara (sp) which she bought years ago for her daughter, daughter too scared to ride to she bought her another pony, she wont ride that now and it is a saint and the mother wont ride connemara as she is too scared of it (she says she rides when others aren't around!!) They have had the ponies there for 3 years and never sat on them!! Anyway mother was in stable with conemmara one day and got locked in so got the haynet and kind of used it to climb over stable door. Also on another note they hang the haynets so they touch the floor!! I had mentioned this as dangerous to them but wouldn't listen. Anyway one night I was at yard till 9pm for some reason and heard kicking in stable, was about to shout at horse and he was hanging from haynet, had it completely wrapped round his fetlock, it was cutting into his fetlock and leg was swollen around, managed to cut the pony loose and called owner. Her excuse was that the pony had watched her climb over the stable door with the haynet and he was copying her. Since then I have rescued the pony 6 times and in the end lost my rag this weekend and told them I would take the ring off the wall if they didn't start feeding it off the floor - they have now bought a very small bucket to put it's hay in!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo.gif
ooo.gif
I know exactly where you are coming from on this one .... I would not personally say anything to a stranger, but to my friends I would make a 'helpful' comment
blush.gif

But in my travels I tend to see some really dangerous things going on, or about to happen .... but I suppose others may see me doing 'stupid' things ... but I really do hope they do not
blush.gif
blush.gif

I actually pride myself on being very practical with a lot of Common Sense, doing it all myself, as there are only my two where I am
smile.gif

Thinking about it though ... I do not always electrify my tape, so this may be seen as be stupid .... and I suppose they would be right
crazy.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hmm... strange, you'd think she wouldnt want to waste the money she just spent on this new horse just seems completely mad that she is willing to let her horse injure itself when she has the posts and the tape already. even has a friend to help her put it up too. i think your friend is completely bonkers lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It just beggars belief really doesn't it
crazy.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sometimes you can't help people. Maybe he barges through electric fencing? Or do you have it elsewhere that's successful?

Lochbear, that sounds horrendous! It's a wonder you haven't slapped the owner!

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you can't help people. Maybe he barges through electric fencing? Or do you have it elsewhere that's successful?
!

[/ QUOTE ]

She has only had him 2 1/2 weeks and from what I know about him, as I have been around him a fair bit, he would respect it 100%.

He is such a lovely horse and very calm and willing to learn
smile.gif

niagaraduval

Visit site
That was definitely the right way to go.
My horse caught his front foot in barbed wire, he panicked and it cut and cut and cut. It as a real bloody mess, the vet came and sewed it up. He was on box rest for a month, and not exercised for two.

Needless to say, I moved yards to where the field were fenced with electric tape. never had a problem.

dufffy

Visit site
maybe he wont stay in electric fencing my neighbours horse just walks through electric tape like its not on (it most definitlely is though). hence why my friends horse nearly ripped his leg off fighting with it him over the fence.

or maybe she is just stupid??? lol

Eaglestone

Visit site
LOL .... no I have to be quite tactful here, but she is very unlikely to log onto this site .... she is one of those friends who thinks I am very odd coming on here
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But what if she did
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
.... I would soooooooooooooooooooooo hate to offend her, as she is a lovely old friend (well not so old, just that I have known her for about 18 years ha ha )
blush.gif