Odd things you've found while hacking?

NeilM

Visit site
I have also had a squirrel fall out of a tree and land on me out hacking, it scurried down the horse's leg and disappeared pretty quickly

PMSL. :D

I think I'd soil myself if a squirrel fell on me, and if it landed on Harry we would instantly accelerate to Warp 9.5.

Toffee44

Visit site
I had a buzzard fly down winstons nose and then get arsey at winstons feet because he had stood on said buzzards rabbit.

Had a squirral run accross Winstons back and then bck up a tree which was funny.

Best one was toffee the other day saying hi to a donkey and then when donkey laid down to roll it became a tiger AMAZING!!!!!And toffee promptly F'd off

steph91

Visit site
An old man who had lost his memory and forgotten where he lived, gladly took him to where he thought he'd lived. And more recently a drunk man passed out (first thought was dead) lying on the corner slightly off a main road surrounded by about 20 empty beer bottles

juliette

Visit site
A pigeon dropped dead just as I passed under a branch and landed almost on top of me!

Recently, lots of condom wrappers and used baby wipes on the bridleway - yuck! wondering if we should install a vending machine on one of the trees!!

Also found a purse once that had been stolen. Old lady was glad to get it back, as it had precious photos in it.

adagio

Visit site
daughters came across a baby mole desperatly scrabbling on the tarmac trying to dig itself a hole. Younger one got off and put it on the grass verge where it dug itself underground, (yes she took pics on her phone and posted them on facebook!!)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
A flasher when I was about 14 - most embarassed especially when interviewed by police. He asked me the time and then said look at this :eek:

More recently a full set of lacy underwear tied decoratively to a gate.

somethingorother

Visit site
Aw mine is pretty boring. Just the usual underwear (most recently a pink leopard print bra in a tree for about 6 months) and dead sheep etc. The dead sheep thing freaked me out big time the first couple of times. Especially piled in a gateway of farms etc.

I have found a dead body, but not on horseback unfortunately. I think it should still count though.

Oh, and this might not be unusual for some people, but a row of dead moles tied to a barb wire fence. Gross!

Oh, and there's a little shrine to someone's father on the moors, in a random field off the bridlepath i ride a lot. There's always fresh flowers and stuff on there. Very sweet.

Oh, and a huge rusty pair of swimming pool ladders (like a lifeguards). Ok, i'm trying, but i can't beat a ferret in a plastic bag, ok? :p

Last edited:

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Only a 'stolen' wallet on the hedge - I handed it in and weeks later got a thankyou letter. Never come across anyone shagging - that would be funny!! lol Many lose animals over time... oh hang on, when I was a kid we used to ride around a disused air field, and one day came across a spit fire. Not sure how it got there as it clearly wasn't in flying condition, but it was a whole one!!

nofie

Visit site
A very nice scarf in the middle of the road (today)

A man with his trousers down either having a pee or something else (didn't wait to find out!)

A horseshoe hanging on a fence.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Aw mine is pretty boring. Just the usual underwear (most recently a pink leopard print bra in a tree for about 6 months) and dead sheep etc. The dead sheep thing freaked me out big time the first couple of times. Especially piled in a gateway of farms etc.

:p

Just as well the sheep wasn't wearing the leopard print bra!

I once came across a WW2 re-enactment society as they were about to have their annual battle! That was interesting, I thought that I was halucinating after a night on the wine having watched "Band of Brothers" the night before! Although my landlord profusely apologised for forgetting to warn me about it, as it was on private land.

A rally car being tested.....hurtling towards me in the woods...same landlord..same bad memory!

JessandCharlie

Visit site
A ghost rider?

I cigarette box full of joints?

A car full of bullet holes?

Two horses. Loose. Lenny was such a star and helped me round them up but they were quite near the road :s

finkle

Visit site
Many years ago, riding across Bradgate Park, myself and my friend nearly 'cantered' over an old lady who had fallen in the long grass!

Really proud of ourselves as we were only about 14 and felt that we had 'saved' her.

miss_c

Visit site
I went hacking with trendybraincell a few weeks ago, and we were in the woods and found a campsite... a big tent and a smaller tent. We didn't quite have the guts to go up to them and say hello though!

hannahbanana

Visit site
My mum and the yard owner came across a pile of brand new wooden planks lying in the middle of a bridlepath. The yard owner went back in his car to see if it was still there and it was, so he loaded it up and used it for fencing or something for his chickens :p

rhino

Visit site
OK, I think I really need to know how the horse reacted to the ferret in the plastic bag!

The usual, just looked a bit disdainfully at it. Wouldn't do anything so common as spooking ;)

I ended up carrying the ferret home (still in it's plastic bag) and the horse didn't seem to care about that either. I love my horse :)

DW Team

Visit site
When teenager couple making out in MG midget parked across the gallops no room to go round and I was somewhat out of control so had no option but to jump the car!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
ROFL at some of the posts on here.... but as a ferret owner I can't shake a mental image of one dooking down a road in a carrier bag :)

Haven't seen many unusual things really out hacking except for dead animals such as birds, sheep and badgers etc. Odd shoes ( why is it always the one lol?), socks and other items of clothing. One overreach boot and a hiz viz item along a bridletrack.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
The usual, just looked a bit disdainfully at it. Wouldn't do anything so common as spooking ;)

I ended up carrying the ferret home (still in it's plastic bag) and the horse didn't seem to care about that either. I love my horse :)

Cool :) did you keep it or find its owner?

rhino

Visit site
ROFL at some of the posts on here.... but as a ferret owner I can't shake a mental image of one dooking down a road in a carrier bag :)
I have to say though I bet the horse was spooked surely? You know what horses are like with moving carrier bags at the best of times never mind one that was technically alive lol.

Seriously! My horse just doesn't DO spooking! His natural reaction to something unusual is to go straight up to it and shove it with his nose..

He's a superstar at the obstacles section in TREC as nothing ever phases him.