odd white hairs in a patch on bay horse

marley and danni

Visit site
hi all....

my boy is bay all over no white markings and black points..... the thing is recently iv started noticing all these little white hairs! theres a few in a group on one of his legs (hes not had an injury there) and theres a re quite a few all over his body just off little hairs... and aldo on both shoulders there 2 big patches of white hairs it looks like dried swaet when you look at it but then you brush it and its lots of little white hairs with bay ones inbetween.... hes had no rugs rubbing and no ijurys there!!

its all very odd both his sire and dam are bay horses?!

can anyone tell me what this is!?

the white bits on his shoulders are covered by the saddle if this helps?

Chez

Visit site
Have you had your saddle checked recently? Do you bandage him/boot him? My first thought is pressure points where somethings been rubbing.

DebbieBrand

Visit site
My bay had a patch of white hair which didn't show until he was clipped for freeze marking. He has white hairs through his coat but also a lot of grey in his tail, I believe tis is caused by a colour gene Rabicano. Does yours have white/grey hairs in his tail?

marley and danni

Visit site
hes only 6.... :( not had saddle check in 4 ish months but when it was they said it fitted fine. it has gone a little flat though so i put a fake sheepskin numnah underneath untill i can get reflocked (should be next month)

could it be this? its ioonly apeared int he last week..

the ones on the legs could be from boots as hes TB he wears them a lot for schooling.... he has a big thick bed so no hard surfaces...

could it be the saddle then? should i get the vet to check his back?

amandap

Visit site
^mine is going grey and he is a bay:( 12yrs old and getting a grey face. my moms black horse is going grey too and starting to look roan!
My bay tb (?xtb) mare has had increasing numbers of white hairs throughout her coat on her body for the past two-three years. It's more pronounced when she is changing her coat. This year she has three small white patches on her bum as well.
She is approx 13 now.

Lockie123

Visit site
My horse is bay and 9 years old. Last year at around this time of year just before clipping he started getting white hairs/white spots in random places on his body. There was no change to the skin, no irritation, pressure points etc it was just white hair. The largest one was on his neck and about the size of a thumbprint.

In Spring when his Summer coat came through they totally disappeared. He has just started to get his winter coat now and i think there are some white hairs appearing again!

Could it be birdcatcher spots?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_markings

marley and danni

Visit site
no nothing like bird cather spots there not a solid group its like hes been sprinkles with white hairs randomly in a patch on both shoulders lol!

think it maybe from one of his numnahs rubbing him maybe as a couple times iv rode for a long time and hes been foaming with sweat and i cooled down then went for a hack thus swaeting again could it be from a cold wet numnah rubbing?

i dont think its the saddle but i will be getting it check in oct... but he isnt showing signs of being sore :S