Ode to Sedalin

_jetset_

Visit site
After a long day competing, my lovely husband came up to the yard to meet me for some moral support... It was the first time in over 6 weeks (with 4 weeks complete box rest) that I had ridden Grace.

On Saturday I had walked her to the end of the yard and back a few times, and let's just say I was glad I was not sat on her!!! I have never seen a buck like it in all my life
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Because of this, I decided Sedalin was the best way forwards to ensure I was safe, but more importantly that Grace did not cause any more damage to her legs after the operation. I gave her 4ml as the vet had suggested, and 40 minutes later when I got on her she had heavy eyes and seemed to be quite out of it.

I walked her into the arena, but as our feet touched the surface she came around abit, enough for me to feel happy getting on her. She had a few spooks, but whereas that would have been an explosion of bucks, rears, spins and squealing, it was a small spook and nothing more. Thank goodness for Sedalin!

Tonight I am going to go it alone, but I am also going to give her 2ml as I still felt she was a bit too sedated at first... by the end she was coming around, so I think 2ml will just take the edge off her enough for me to walk her around for 20 minutes
grin.gif

My husband couldn't stop laughing at me because I was blubbering all the way around
crazy.gif
I never thought we would get back to this stage, and Grace felt so fantastic, I had forgotten just how beautiful her walk is!!! The bounce and ping just made me realise how determined I am to get her back in work!

_jetset_

Visit site
smile.gif

I asked the surgeon and he said that is quite a lowish dose for a horse her size and build for this work. But, because he has found chestnut horses to be more affected by this kind of drug, he dropped it to 4ml
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Really?

I was under the impression it was not a lot
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

I will just give her 1ml tonight then as opposed to 2ml... She was definitely not out of it though last night, she was alert enough to spook at a blackbird flying off from a field about 20m away from her
grin.gif

Thistle

Visit site
Sedalin increasing the dose extends the sedation time rather than the degree of sedation.

Just make sure you give it before she realises what you are going to do as is she has adrenalin in her system before you dose her it stops the sedalin being effective.

ClaireH78

Visit site
I sedated my horse this weekend with Sedalin to attempt to clip his back legs as he is so naughty but it didn't even touch him and he wasn't sedated at all and he managed to kick the clippers out of my hands. I now have the vet coming to sedate him properly!

I wish George would go under like your horse does, it would be a lot cheaper!

_jetset_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sedalin increasing the dose extends the sedation time rather than the degree of sedation.

Just make sure you give it before she realises what you are going to do as is she has adrenalin in her system before you dose her it stops the sedalin being effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this... I thought the amount depended on how sedated you wanted them
blush.gif

I do it 40 mins before riding and have to muck out etc in that time...

DidiR

Visit site
Thistle is right... in that once they have their maximum dose of ACP products (of which Sedalin is one)... any further dosage will only prolong the time they are under.. it doesn't make them even dopier... ie they will not fall over etc...

However, not having a box of Sedalin in front of me... 4ml doesn't sound like it is a max dose anyway.

_jetset_

Visit site
No, when she was sedated to clip with it I gave her almost 2 tubes
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Tonight I dropped it to 2ml and she was an absolute angel
grin.gif
There was a tractor rolling the field, quite a bit going on, and yet she was still a sweetheart!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... Ideally I want to get her off it by the end of the week
smile.gif

Due to her previous colic surgery, I do not want to upset anything right now.

_jetset_

Visit site
I rode her this morning with just 1ml and again she was a really good girl!
grin.gif

I am going to try her without it tomorrow night, I can always give her it again the next day
smile.gif