ODE- what did I do?!

dianchi

Visit site
So Big Girl Pants applied and off to keysoe we went......

Got there early enough to go through all the millions of checks that RC require before you get on, walked the XC again to find the turns on the course and plot a route.

Toddled off to DR, warmed up nicely and we were in, a few opps moments above the bit and "tension" :)
Thought it was ok- Ended up with a 35 (is that a 65%?)

On to the SJ, i had liked the course as it was spread out and could flow- although lots of odd lines everywhere made it not an easy course.
Listening to the riders before me, two were Eliminated, 24flts, 16flts- I have to say I had a little wobble, but just thought big and forward and will be fine.

Well she was a star flew round and even when I buried her at 3 she levitated over it somehow- so a clear was in the bag! (pro got pics of this)

Bit of a gap to XC so stupidly thought would go and check the scores up, with the SJ causing so many issues we were sitting 5th!!!! (OMG moment there)

So toddled over to XC to find there were only three left in the entire class to go (me and my friend making up two!) opps, but they said they were running early and to warm up and set off when we were ready.
Annoyingly I lost the toss and I had to set off first and she napped the whole way to the first fence as buddy was behind her :(
And yep stopped at the first (I WAS FURIOUS with her!)

Short sharp smack and lots of vocal encouragement and over we go- came off the hedge line to two locked on, sat and drove her and she was off.

I then spent the rest of the course holding on and stopping her locking onto EVERY fence on the course- not just ours!
Flew the houses, round to the ditch and she didnt even falter!

Upto the the corner where the pro Photographer was sat (seriously vain pony) gawping at them so had a massive jump over the fence (buying this pic!)
Lept into the water and ran all the way home spot on strides to every fence.

So cross with her for napping like that to the first as took an ind prize away from us. However even with a stop I only had 1.2 time pens, so would have been well clear if not!
However as a team we ended up 5th, with best score in our team (57.2) so guess cant complain too much :D

Have clearly lost all hope of sense and brain power as just entering another ODE in two weeks time (what is wrong with me?!)

Any suggestions on dealing with napping to the first??

No link to pro pics as of yet but posing pic....
photo_zps119c5e15.jpg

Thanks all!

Joyous70

Visit site
No tips on the napping im afraid, my youngster does this going off the yard sometimes, with and without company. But wanted to say well done sounds like a fantastic day :D

ponymum

Visit site
Well done! No tips from me either I'm afraid, except to ride it as if you've already had a stop. It's so frustrating when you're in a good position and they go and do that though. Good luck for the next one - you'll be ready for her next time! :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Huge well done :) sounds like a great day :)

Like ponymum says I would ride at the first fence as if I had had a refusal, also try to stay as relaxed as possible and try and get in and out of the start box whilst moving forwards.

dianchi

Visit site
Yep we canter through the box then 5 strides out from fence she starts to slow- no amount of kicking or growling seems to work.
Have already told friend that she goes first at the next one to see if that helps!

Bernster

Visit site
Congrats, what a fab day. I did spend some time last year working on napping away from company/course. Main tip for me was that I needed to be more aware of when it was about to happen, and the situations when it was most likely to happen, and kick on/growl etc before she actually started to back off/nap. I think now you've had this moment, you will be more aware of it and ride with that in mind - sounds like it was just a combo of short warm up and first fence-itis. You'll be BE before you know it, as this rate :)

monte1

Visit site
Well Done what a great report, sounds like you both had a really fun day. look forward to reading about your next outing ;-)

Arniebear

Visit site
Well done!!! my lad competed at keysoe's last ODE last month and was pipped to the post pushing him into 2nd due to napping out the start! the horror thankfully we clambered over one so didnt get a stop just time faults which lost us the win!

not sure if this will help, but a week after my last comp (keysoe's ode) i had a xc lesson at keysoe (well planned!!!) the instructor asked me how i come out the start gate.... i replied well like a bat out of hell, with the attitude of your going over it! really riding him so he gets the message of no napping (i dont mean beating him just a bit of growling and lots of leg) (his idea of napping is stop and reverse) she told me not to do that but instead showjump the first fence so sit quietly with my legs on and 100% with him so when he stops and reverses im with him not where i used to be which was in front of him as he dived undearneath me in reverse mode.... if that makes sense! so basically ride him strongly but no flapping, shouting, kicking, just sit quietly legs on and stay with his movement that way if he does reverse im with him and can drive him on again as opposed to having to readjust myself and then drive him forwards. Not sure if it will work as havent competed since... he's out this weekend so we shall see! he's been a gem xc schooling ever since that lesson with no napping thou so something may have just clicked in his head, who knows guess i'll find out on sat!!

sorry if thats no help! you didnt say how she was napping, spinning? reversing? its usually a confidence thing so fingers crossed with more outings the napping should disappear!

dianchi

Visit site
Sadly it's more a slow stopping from 5 strides out
Just sets against my leg and if you smack her just slows quicker!
Growling and shouting I think will work as it's shock tactic!

Problem is she's 21 it's not massively going to change!
I'm hoping sending her friends off in front will help!

lottiepony

Visit site
Fantastic well done! My mare is exactly the same she basically shuts down on me so difficult to deal with. Hopefully though the more you do the better she'll get :) Photos are gorgeous too, you can never have too many competition photos!

vallin

Visit site
Keysoe is awful for stops at the first! My horse did it as did half the class last time I was there! Well done on your placing :D

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Keysoe is awful for stops at the first! My horse did it as did half the class last time I was there! Well done on your placing :D

And they've made the start much nicer! I remember when you had to wiggle around this hedge thing to get to the first fence (which was in a fence) terrible for stops then.

Dianchi glad it went well :)

irishdraft

Visit site
I have the same problem with my younger horse, its like he is stuck in the mud just won't go forward, I went to a hunter trial recently as a practice for xc run & by fence 4 I was completely exhausted from trying to keep him going forward to the fence so he obligingly stopped ! Once we are on a homeward bound route he goes like a dream soo frustrating don't really know what go do with him