ODE- what have i done?!

dianchi

Visit site
So ive entered my first proper ODE, RC areas at keysoe

Went schooling so I have seen and know what to expect out on the course :)

I have the two saddles, two bridles, two sets of boots for horse- although starting to think sod it she can wear XC tack in SJ! etc etc etc

However dress for me?!

So I am normally a dressage Diva and have a cut away blue jacket, but I cant wear that for SJ
I do have a SJ John Whit jacket (love it!!!)

But can I bothered with having to take two jackets?! I do have my showing tweed, but that I have with a tie and I dont think thats right for Eventing?!

And there was me worrying it would be the horses tack that would cause me the issues!!!!

PorkChop

Visit site
I wear a tweed and stock for the dressage and sj, though lots wear black/navy.

Hope you have a blast and look forward to reading your report :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Whoohoo well done on entering :) I went to see my first ODE last weekend and its inspired me to do at least one this year (BE80) and I plan to wear my tweed with tie for dressage and SJ and then change tops for XC.
I have one saddle, one bridle. I will add the martingale and boots for SJ and XC. Job done.

It's the taking part for me not the showing off how much clobber you have and how many times you can change! To me that's pointless and way too much effort!

My tack will be spotless, I will be smart and my horse will be well turned out and fit for the job and we will just go have some fun :D

Good luck, don't forget pics :)

ponymum

Visit site
Good on you for entering! I would go with the tweed and get a nice coloured stock. I borrowed my daughter's tweed and felt the part! It's not a showing class though so wear what you feel most comfortable in, most of your option sound fine. Enjoy it and don't forget the report afterwards :)

wkiwi

Visit site
In answer to your question "what have I done"? You have:
-set yourself an exciting challenge (challenges improve health, learning, etc. etc.)
-begun a period of addiction to frustrating and seemingly useless sport that will get under your skin and bring you both despair and joy
-commenced a period of fun/happiness/thrills/the odd sleepless night/stiff muscles/great friendships/disappointments/disasters/triumphs and fabulous times...
-joined a unique club of loony horse riders who (even if everything else goes wrong) still end up with a big silly grin on their face for getting round the crosscountry making all their non-eventing friends scratch their heads in puzzlement!
Welcome to the club.

Chumsmum

Visit site
In answer to your question "what have I done"? You have:
-set yourself an exciting challenge (challenges improve health, learning, etc. etc.)
-begun a period of addiction to frustrating and seemingly useless sport that will get under your skin and bring you both despair and joy
-commenced a period of fun/happiness/thrills/the odd sleepless night/stiff muscles/great friendships/disappointments/disasters/triumphs and fabulous times...
-joined a unique club of loony horse riders who (even if everything else goes wrong) still end up with a big silly grin on their face for getting round the crosscountry making all their non-eventing friends scratch their heads in puzzlement!
Welcome to the club.

Haha this is spot on... I usually wear tweed with stock for dressage and sj. Enjoy your ode ☺

vallin

Visit site
I always wear a black pikeur jacket and no one has ever commented on it, I wouldn't worry overly and good luck! I was hoping to be there but the OH out his foot down and said not as we are in leeds at his brothers birthday the night before and he didn't want to drive home at some unholy hour :(

dianchi

Visit site
Thanks all, I don't have a stock that would match currently.....................

So should I just go with Tie? will it look silly tweed with a Navy JTE hat tho?

Also just found out that the course is the same as they have had for their last three events! Mildly sounds like XC you can cheat quite easily if they never change the courses!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I'm surprised it would be the same as keysoe have just overhauled their cross country course and the BE was run over all new fences? Also you can no longer school over the course they now have separate schooling fences.

ETA or are they using same course as BE? That doesn't surprise me as it's probably easier than changing every time!

dianchi

Visit site
I'm surprised it would be the same as keysoe have just overhauled their cross country course and the BE was run over all new fences? Also you can no longer school over the course they now have separate schooling fences.

ETA or are they using same course as BE? That doesn't surprise me as it's probably easier than changing every time!

info so far has been its same as BE, an ODE, plus they have had many schooling sessions and camps on that have all ridden it!

Times now out..............................

dianchi

Visit site
Where are the times published please? I cant see them!

Had them emailed via our riding club- which was good as we needed to do some swapsies with the club!

Also have seen the "bogey" fence, and have a master plan nabbed from a fellow team member to practise at home!

Blythwind

Visit site
Oh I see. I'm not a member of a RC so entered the open class. Guess I have to wait until tomorrow then!

Eek what is the bogey fence?!

wkiwi

Visit site
Blankets sounds a good idea. I think the brightness might depend on the sunniness of the day (looks like pale wood rather than white, but that might just be my screen).
Also, you've probably already thought of it, but take corner as wide as possible and with a few strides of trot, then power-up when the horse has had time to see it.

good luck and have fun!!

wkiwi

Visit site
I would aim to be turning about from where the camera shot was taken? This would give a few good strides fairly straight, but then i haven't seen it from the ground so you are probably right.

dianchi

Visit site
Sadly the pic was taken from the hedge line on apex of corner
So would require an interesting line!
Its going to be a hug the corner, and hope!

There is also a fence next to this now for the 70 course

wkiwi

Visit site
Umm, over the hedge further up - back over the corner apex - then you'd be on a perfect line for number 2? Just joking!! I'm betting the hedge and corner are a tad higher than 80cm ???
I would still swing out and drop to trot on the turn - judging by what looks like tracks, you would get two bouncy canter strides before take off i.e. pretend it is a skinny. I am guessing that it has become a bogey fence because of horses glancing off to the right, - it also looks as if there is a gateway or gap further off to the right, so if they are focussing on that as they approach it might encourage a run out?
However, you know your own horse best and it is important to stick to a plan. I would try to put out of your mind that it is a bogey fence though - from personal experience i know that once a fence gets that reputation we end up riding it differently than if no-one told us.

dianchi

Visit site
Its not a bogey fence thats "known" i dont think, just that all the others on the pics look fine!

Also not explained myself well.
There is no corner or hedge to jump here (a house is fence 1)

But you have to ride through a gap in the hedge and this pic is taken on that corner turn!

wkiwi

Visit site
Its not a bogey fence thats "known" i dont think, just that all the others on the pics look fine!

Also not explained myself well.
There is no corner or hedge to jump here (a house is fence 1)

But you have to ride through a gap in the hedge and this pic is taken on that corner turn!
oops, sorry. Thought you meant the photo was taken from a 'corner fence' on a course at a different level (i.e. an actual jump) so my tongue-in-cheek suggestion was based on that - LOL.
I think you will be fine. Have a great time on the day and hope the weather is nice too.

Visit site
See you there!!! The 80 fence 2 rides lovely. Yes its 'blind' from fence 1, but keep the canter, hug the hedge, look up & kick. Fence 1 caused more problems at the ODE in May due to napping from the warm up! Enjoy, its a lovely course. BTW the 2 houses at 6 & 7 need to be ridden carefully, the striding comes up quick inbetween!!