% of Import Tax on supplements from USA???

Doublethyme

Visit site
Anyone know the percentage of Import Tax that would be applied on something like a joint supplement from the USA?

I know that sometimes they can sneak through, but I want to make sure that "if" it gets caught up, it won't be prohibitively expensive. I think its still worth ordering from the US even with the import tax/VAT/admin charges, but trying to make sure.

I've tried looking up the TARIC code, but can't for the life of me work out where equine joint supplements would come under.

Thanks.

Como

Visit site
Hi there
I would budget to add around 23% to the purchase price. If your item doesn't sneak through (and many do I have to say) you will be charged VAT, import duty and often a handling fee from the royal mail. If the item you buy is worth less than £18 and the US sender marks it as a 'gift' on the customs form then you won't incur any costs. I would call HMRC to find out the TARIC code if you want more details as it is very difficult to work out from any of their inpenetrable documentation!! Most things are liable to import duty however.

Doublethyme

Visit site
Thanks very much for the information. Even adding 23% makes the supplement a lot cheaper than I can get it here, so definitely looks like its worth it.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Como is right - its likely to be 5% duty, 17.5% VAT and the handling fee from Royal Mail or courier.

However, and I should not say this... you could ask them to tick 'gift'

Baileyhoss

Visit site
If your looking at cortaflex, check the doseage. The American version is weaker & you have to feed 3x the doseage to the UK version. Therefore, doesn't work out much cheaper once you add the postage and hassle etc.

Doublethyme

Visit site
Yes just checked and it is the same feeding rate, so definitely worth importing it, even with import taxes/vat/admin charges it comes out vastly cheaper than I can get it in the UK!!