Off food today after surgery!

magicsmum

Visit site
My 21 year old mare had surgery to remove a granulosa cell tumour on her ovary ten days ago, she has been making a good recovery, wounds look dry and very clean. She's suppose to be on box rest but have had to turn her out into stable sized are outside as she was so stressed being in which has worked well, seems much happier. Up til tonight has been eating as normal but wouldn't touch her hard feed, is eating hay which is something! Trying not to panic yet, daughter gave her a bute tonight, yesterday was first day without any since surgery. Never having had to deal with anything like this am I just being over cautious if I ring vet in morning, he's coming out on Thursday to remove staples but don't want her not eating for long. She's too precious for anything to go wrong now!

magicsmum

Visit site
She seems fine in herself and was eating hay so will ring in morning if she's still not touching hard feed. She only ever passes on food if she's not well! Maybe just getting fussy in old age!

gunnergundog

Visit site
She only ever passes on food if she's not well! Maybe just getting fussy in old age!

Want to risk it post-surgery? I wouldn't. Call your emergency vet NOW and let them decide whether or not this warrants a visit given your horses history.
Am sure they would prefer a call or even a visit now to pre-empt something that MAY (or may not) become more serious in the ungodly hours of the early morning.

Also, if your horse is supposed to be off the bute now, was it after discussion with the vet that your daughter administered some tonight? I do hope so.

Last edited:

magicsmum

Visit site
Was told by vet when we picked her up to give utte for four days but carry on for couple more days if needed! Have every faith in yard owner to call vet if she is in any doubt when she checks them later!