off to look at horse tmoro but need advice/help

kateknights

Visit site
Hi i am off to look at a potential new ned tomorrow morning, have just phoned about him, he sounds perfect in every way but, he weaves at dinner time! I have never had or seen a horse that does this! does anyone have any experience in a weaving horse? would you buy? does it give them any health problems? should he be any cheaper with this?
Thanks in advance
confused.gif

Kate x

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Hi,
it is classed as a stable vice, so I would imagine it would be reflected in the price.
I have a weaver - she is 15 yo and a int Grade A and hasn't had any health issues connected with her weaving.
The biggest problem for me was making sure she doesn't weave over her stable door as she would rub her chest raw.
It can be managed to a degree, and if it's just at meal time, just make sure that her/his supper arrives first - before the other horses in the vicinity.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Nah. Dizzy weaves with excitement.

I read up a lot about it when I first realized she did it. The findings were: no medical issues; is not 'catching', i.e. other horses will not copy; is considered a coping mechanism for horses that are stressed and cannot deal with it in the situation in their physical surroundings, which is why it is rarely, if ever, seen in the field.

Read up before you go and see her.

marlyclay

Visit site
Weaving can affect the foot balance inthe front feet.Horses that weave badly will wear holes in the concrete by their stable door where they stand and do it.This can also lead to uneven wear on shoes and possible wear and tear on joints.
That said my mare weaves but i manage her condition by having her out as much as possible,i have a rubber mat by her door to minimise concussion to her front legs should she weave and in winter when she has to be in more she has a corraled off area outside her stable so that she dosn't feel shut in.
Horses that weave are generally more stressy in temp than other neds and you may find that moving this horse to a new home will exasperate his weaveing untill he settles into his new enviroment.

Fairynuff

Visit site
I would forgive any horse that 'weaved at dinnertime'. Its no big deal and wont do any harm to him. Big time weavers are a pain in the bum-they tend to lose weight, wear down the floor and can put excess strain on their joints. Its also said that they can 'teach' their yardmates to weave so many yards arent too happy to accept them! As for the price, yes, it should be lowered a wee bit
smile.gif
M.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally wouldnt buy any horse who weaved, but then I wont accept any stable vice! I would however, ask if he does it when turned out at feed time?? If not, then Id simply leave him out 24/7 and then he'd never do it
wink.gif