off to Rossdales tomorrow

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
The Hoss is going off for some diagnostics tomorrow, looking forward to it but scared too. The story so far.....he is 7 years old, and was sold from an eventing yard as not being up to the move up from Novice. Vetting said he was under developed on his hind quarters but that proper work should help him get a better topline. That was April. I have done flatoerk with him and lots of hacking and riding club stuff with him over the summer but he never felt powerful and even with more work was never fast, particularly going uphill.
He had several episodes of sore back during this time (saddlle fitted, teeth done) usually after galloping work, and the vet was called out to see him - she said it was just muscular. Bute, rest and back to work OK.

Move on couple of months....He fell down on a stony track being led to the fields, just onto his knees, no cuts, no swelling. Around that time I bought a Pessoa and had quite a full on lesson in the same week in the space of 3 days. Later that week a friend was riding him and she said he refused to go down a hill and felt really stiff turning round. She bought him straight home. We had the massage woman and the back woman out. Their comments: He is very one sided in his development and had a very sore back and loins. Gossip on the yard was that he was a wobbler so I called in the vet again.

She came last week, did the usual trotting, lunging, ridden exams and said she would like to refer him for more diagnostics. She doesnt think it wobblers but might be kissing spine, or a hind leg issue causing the back pain. He is marginally lame in the hind legs.

I rode him last night and tonight, just 15 mins in the school and he was sore and grumpy which is good, I didnt want him to be pain free but I felt horrible riding him, he looked so depressed.

Fingers crossed its not KS but I dont know enough to know what else it could be. He has never bucked, never refused a jump - such a brave boy.

Emily84

Visit site
Hi. My horse has been there since Monday having diagnostic tests on her back as well. She had an x-ray which showed ks on 5 vertebrae, then thermal imaging which showed heat around her muscles in her back. Today she had a bone scan which showed poss hock + pelvis problems but the kissing spines didn't look too bad!! Tomorrow she's having ultrasounds. Poor horse is having the works. Its lovely there though and the vets are very thorough. Good luck.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Phew, no KS! No lameness. Arthritic vertebrae in neck, but that doesn't explain all his symptoms so going radioactive tomorrow for a bone scan.
Emily - you are right, one of the vets spent ages explaining things to some owners today and answering question for them.

Last edited:

Emily84

Visit site
Bless him. Mine had her bone scan yesterday. The ultrasound today showed moderate changes to her supraspinous ligament + muscles so she's had several injections in her back. Picking her up tomorrow afternoon. Good luck.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Emily - we have run out of diagnostic funds (well run completely and utterly over the limit actually) so no ultrasound for us. Will you girl be able to do what you want work -wise with her in the future?

Just been reading more about arthritis in the neck - could lead to neurological issues ...... and i was "happy" for it to be that.:(

Emily84

Visit site
I hope so but she will prob need repeated injections which is fine for the next 10 months while she's insured but not sure what to do after. I mentioned surgery to them but they don't feel the kissing spines is severe enough so just to go down the injection route! Haven't got a clue how much the bill is going to be. Fingers crossed for your boy, I'm sure you will get him sorted. Is he insured?

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Yes, its the long term that is always a problem. He is insured but the bone scan alone has taken more than my limit for diagnostics. My husband is very analytical about it - sayin that if the horse cost X amount why would you even consider going over X by even a thousand. You have only had him for 7 months and so havent got a life-long bond etc etc. Not telling me I cant spend money just making me think.
I have seen a lot of people discussing similar on these forums.

claracanter

Visit site
Has he been xrayed for bone spavins in his hocks? That can cause them not to want to go downhill, work properly from behind and have a sore back from compensating.
Hope you get on ok at Rossdales.

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
osteoarthritis in his neck and slightly in sacroiliac region. Injected with corticosteroid into C5-C6 and C6-C7.
and I asked for a full neuro just in case he was a bit wobbly - but all fine.
Now starts the slow rehab back.

Emily84

Visit site
Bless him. Mine came home yesterday, she's also had steroid injections but into her supraspinous ligament in her back. Apparently I can start bringing her into work after 2 days! I'm a bit apprehensive about it!! Hope the injections help your boy.

Madam_max

Visit site
Hi. My boy has just been diagnosed with the same, but C7 and T1,plus the sacroiliac pain too. Mine too has been injected. I went through the same thoughts as you about it being Wobblers. :(

YasandCrystal

Visit site
osteoarthritis in his neck and slightly in sacroiliac region. Injected with corticosteroid into C5-C6 and C6-C7.
and I asked for a full neuro just in case he was a bit wobbly - but all fine.
Now starts the slow rehab back.

I would recommend giving turmeric as a supplement for arthritis and joints. My WB who has chronic SI dysfunction is on turmeric - human grade MSM and Bromelain. Keeping the area warm before and after ridden work helps too. Someone on here made a DIY solarium in their stable cheaply using 2 halogen heat lights fixed high in the stable angled down.

Last edited:

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Thought I would show you an update on my boy's progress - please ignore my riding, my diagonals are rubbish.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZoafaNYKYWe dont have a menage so schooling has been in the field and on hack with just a few sessions in a rented school. Anyway he is a generally happy horse, which he wasnt before, he loads straight on (only tried a trailer but he could take a while even on a trailer before) and he is starting to get some mucles - but very little topline so far.We have cantered a little on hacks but he isnt balanced or strong enough for a prelim yet.

kerryflower

Visit site
I have just come back from the vets having had my 8yo diagnosed with facet joint arthritis in c6-7 vertebrae. Had triamcinolene injected into both sides and told to work quietly for two weeks and then bring him back into work and carry on as we mean to go on (medium dressage). Will be having physio to help him on his way too. Fingers crossed the injections work and we can enjoy plenty more years together.

Hope your boy continues to recover. He looks lovely :)