Off to try a horse for my friend

dumpling

Visit site
Friend has been looking for a new pony/horse for her daughter for pony club. Currently has a little 13.2hh but he's just too wee now and jumps no bigger than 2ft9. Everything's been snapped up quickly that she likes but she's found one and is going to see it today.

Instructor can't come so I've been asked, however I've not been to 'see' a horse for years ! Yo does deal with 'difficult' horses and has asked me to sit on a few , and I've had my boy since 3 so have been through the mill. It's more so , what am I actually looking for?! She insists it must be 100% safe, pretty much straight forward as she will be paying alot of money for it.

So what's your 'plan' when you go to try a horse? Obviously you want to see its paces, can it jump etc perhaps take it a hack.

Also note, the owner will be riding it first so we can see what its like, then myself ,then the daughter.

muddygreymare

Visit site
You'll be fine, I hope the pony is a good match for your friend's daughter :)

In regards of what to do, make sure you ask lots of questions, watch it being tacked up, caught, groomed. Assess the pony ridden, both by the owner and the child, and give them an honest outsiders opinion on the pony. Make sure they/you ask about a vetting, if they're willing to let you have one that's good, if they're a bit iffy about it they may have something to hide (I've found this through experience).

Another thing you could ask, if they like it is if they'd be able to come back for a second viewing, and if they could have the pony on trial to see if it would be suitable before buying. Lastly, take a camera with you, video the horse, both on the ground and ridden by the owner and the child, then you can show the footage to your YO, their instructor and anyone else that needs to see.

Good luck to you and them, hope the pony is a good'un :)

be positive

Visit site
Get the owner to do all the obvious things before you get on, watch the pony and how it reacts to things, is it well mannered will it stand for mounting, girth tightening etc. try and move a jump or two just to make sure it is not set up how the owner wants, use fillers if you can.
When I try for people I like to feel safe, its not really a definable quality but you just know, I always spend a bit of time fiddling with stirrups and girths then walking on a long rein then go through to trot and canter, a little lateral work just to make sure it moves away from the leg and I will have a canter dropping the reins, if it feels safe enough, before coming back to a walk.
The child needs to spend more time on it than you, it will be for them afterall, get them on and let them get a feel before going through it all again plus jumping, it needs to be seen to jump what is expected of it in the future or at least something decent that shows its ability, if all is really good go for a short hack or ideally go back a second time to hack properly as it will be tired by the end of all this and may not be at its best.
If facilities do not allow you to see enough arrange to hire somewhere, if it is an expensive pony you need to make sure it is what is really required.

dumpling

Visit site
Excellent thank you. I think because it's for someone else and not myself is making it more difficult!

Daughters mother will be dealing with the legalities so I don't need to worry about that.

She said that apparently they were taking it to another arena as there's wasn't very good for jumping. She thought this was a bit strange but then we made the point that at least you can see what it's like out of home.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Manners, conformation (no pony is perfect but what is the most important to your friend), ability, safety. Try the pony in every situation you can think of that the daughter will want to put the pony into. I'd ask to see a child's pony ridden, or led, in traffic before putting the child on it, for safety's sake.
Both adults should ask similar questions at different times, so that you can compare the answers. Trust your gut feeling.

Boxers

Visit site
And don't forget that at the end of the day it is their decision whether to buy or not. Don't tell them they should buy it if they are not 100% about it themselves. the last thing you want is if things go wrong with the pony or it turns out not to be suitable after all, is for them to turn round and blame you for 'making' them buy it.

dumpling

Visit site
Went over to try it. Watched it come off the lorry and get tacked up, stood like a lamb. Very long stride, feels like your on a 16.2 instead of a 14.2 ! Which is a good thing as I reckon she'd do the girl at everything she wants. Works in an outline, jumps with ease. Bends, does a bit of lateral aswell. I thought she was rather strong in canter as you really need to make your aids obvious if you want to go down a pace. Girl went on and was a bit nervous to canter but I talked her through it, she also thought she was a bit strong and was a bit put off as she's used to little 13.1 pony who's a 'kick and go'. She tried the other rein and again talked her through it, I'd say with a bit of getting used to, some lessons shed be able to learn to control her in the canter.

Her current owner is also too big for her and quite competitive, her friends are on horses do they're obviously going faster and higher than her so she is pushing the horse and probably wanting her to go fast all the time.

We all thought she was fab, however as always there was 1 issue. She is grey. And has had a history of melanomas which have been removed. We're going to do a bit of research on them but obviously not too knowledgable and worried about cancer and insurance.