OH B*LLOCKS, Vibes and ideas needed...............

charlimouse

Visit site
I've just been doing evening yards. I went to get Murphy in from the field and he refused to move his right fore leg, so wouldnt move. Eventually I managed to get him moving, but he is dragging his right fore leg, and doesnt seem to want to stretch the leg forwards, although this does improve a little bit the more he moves (it was about 100yds to his stable from the field). I've checked him over, but cannot find any heat or swelling, the there is nothing stuck in any of his hooves, and all his shoes look ok. He is very well in himself and is not upset, nor is he showing actual signs of discomfort (except for not wanting to move his leg).

Until today he hasn't been ridden for 2 weeks due to snow and ice, but has been turned out every day, and his feed has been reduced to a scoop of pony nuts, a small amount of Blue chip pro, and half a scoop of happy hoof. This morning I rode him for the first time, we just did 20 mins schooling, stretching and bending, just to get his mind back on the job, but he was not worked hard, he didn't even break a sweat. He went really well and I gave him a good cool off. After riding I turned him out and he was absolutly fine. I then found him in the state he is when I came to fetch him in. He is turned out with one other horse, and it is a bit slippy due to the melted snow and ice.

So I have put him to bed, and will see how he is in the morning, and if necessary call the vet. I didnt get the vet this evening as the lighting in the yard is not very good. So do you HHO'ers have any ideas what could be wrong with him, at the moment im hoping he has pulled a muscle, but am worried it could be azourtia (sp). So please can I have healing vibes for him, and your ideas. Thanks.

LindyLulu

Visit site
pulled muscle maybe if very muddy or if ground is hard/frozen might have jarred something? maybe bandage for support over night and if still bad get vet out in the morning. don't know what else to suggest. Hope it isn't too serious x

charlimouse

Visit site
He can bear weight on it, but would rather not, so he was resting it when I left him. There is absolutly no swelling or heat that I can tell, and he happy as larry in himself (trying to mug treats off me, and left happily munching haylage as normal!) Blooming typical!!!!!

mbequest

Visit site
Tying up is normally shown more as a reaction in the hindquarters, so I would be surprised if it is this.

Just a silly ? did you take his rug off, to say swap it for a stable rug?? Just wondering if he hasnt been kicked during play. Sounds like a point of shoulder type injury.

Is he weight-bearing properly when he walks, is it just when he walks and goes to step forward that he is in discomfort??

Personally, if he is as you describe, for peace of mind I would be getting the vet this evening.

kerilli

Visit site
i had 1 do sth which looked quite similar i think, years ago, turned out he had been playing and reared over the back of another one and paralysed the nerve bundle under the shoulder blade iirc... box rest, vet attention etc and he came totally right within a few days...
could be what your lad has done. i'd box rest and get vet to check, obv make sure there's no fracture...

Worried1

Visit site
Ditto Kerilli - we had one horse who we were convinced had fractured his shoulder, instead it turned out he has damaged the nerve and came right within a week.

But I would call the vet - difficult call to make and I would rather air on the side of caution than leave it 12 hours.

charlimouse

Visit site
Yep I swapped his rugs and had a good look at his shoulder, which seems to be completly free from heat/cuts/swelling. I did just pick up his leg and move it, he was reluctant to let me pull it frowards, but is fine if I pull it back. I don't think it is tying up either, but just because it was his first time working in 2 weeks today it did cross my mind.

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Sounds like MoM's shoulder injury earlier this year. She slipped and fell on her shoulder out in the paddock. She was on bute for a week and it took about five weeks for it to come right. SHe was fine in herself but wouldn't bear weight or swing her leg forward to begin with. We kept her in for two days and then put her out in a very small area, coming in at night.

Big vibes for Murphy <<<<>>>>>

charlimouse

Visit site
I would get the vet this evening, but the light in the yard is broken, so it is pretty much pitch black, so i think i'll just have to get the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

SusieT

Visit site
can you at least ring the vet, as resting a front foot tends to be a sign they are pretty sore, as vet may prefer to take a look with torch/ car headlights.

charlimouse

Visit site
Just called my vet, says he cant do anything in the dark, but to give him a call in the morning, and if not better he will come out. He didn't give any indication into what he thought it could be. So i suppose I now just have to cross my fingers, and hope it isn't too serious as i am hoping to have a busy BE season!!!!

phoebeast

Visit site
my horse did exactly this on boxing day. didn't call the vet, just plonked her in. turns out she'd overreached and knocked her heel. i'd be suprised if the area hasn't swollen by morning but it sounds like its most likely to be a knock. if he's not in any obvious discomfort apart from his leg then i wouldn't worry too much. swelling should come up by morning so speak to the vet then if its causing serious concern.

i think it's easy to panic in these situatons but horses are flight animals so they're built to recover!

i hope that he's ok x

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
prob not much help but similar thing happened to one of my mares and i later found out she'd got her back leg stuck in between her rug surcingles, so leg was bent up all day. she was fine a couple days later just v bad stiffness. vet advised some bute for couple of days

Dolcé

Visit site
we had a kick injury in the field and nearly had to carry the mare out of the field to the stable, got the vet and basically she had a 'dead leg' and was perfectly fine next morning. Hope this is something similar for you!

charlimouse

Visit site
i'll check him again this evening, and update you tomorrow, thanks for the advice and ideas, i'm feeling better that hopefully it is nothing to serious.

KingCharles

Visit site
Friend on yard had a similar sounding problem, She put her HW elderly gob out into the field as normal, he was fine comeing in and was out with her other horse who is used to being out with said gelding. No reason to think anything was out of the ordernairy. Came up the next day got him out of the stable and he was dragging his right fore toe across the ground and not picking his leg up high enougth to make a stride. No heat or swelling or cuts nothing!

He was reluctant to stretch his sholder forward . Turned out he had obviously wrenched his shoulder in the mud and had strained it. He had 2 weeks box rest and is now a lot better. Vet gave bute for the pain and imflamation but the strain had to heal on its own.

Scheherezade

Visit site
I know this sounds silly, but my horse had the exact same. He had a foot abscess that hadn't popped, and there was no heat or swelling. I wrapped it and only the day after they it popped and we realised we were right.

Rudey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know this sounds silly, but my horse had the exact same. He had a foot abscess that hadn't popped, and there was no heat or swelling. I wrapped it and only the day after they it popped and we realised we were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts! I have seen a few horses prefer to walk on three legs, being horrified at the amount of pain they are in, thinking the worst, and turning out to be an abscess! One of my mates TB's had a nasty abscess, the vet didn't dig it out properly, she had the farrier and he sorted it in the end!
grin.gif

Not to upset you, but another friend at the yard found her horse in the field unwilling to walk. No heat, no swelling, had the tiniest nick on the inside of his front leg above his knee. Turned out to be a fracture
frown.gif
He made a good recovery, it was a long process mind!!
wink.gif

....and another friend had similar issues, again we thought the worst, and it turned out to be a cellulitis infection in his hock!

Oh mannnnn do we have alot of horses with problems at our place lol..... *frantically touches wood*
wink.gif

Definitely think you should get the vet to cast an eye over him. Good Luck, I hope it turns out to be nothing more then a strained muscle or similar xx
grin.gif