Oh dear first driving lesson

Leo Walker

Visit site
I started thinking I might do the odd drive out, maybe to the pub or something, but I wasnt particularly fussed about it. Until the first time I drove and that was it! I much prefer it to riding. It is expensive but if you are careful it can be done for the same sort of money it would cost you to kit out a riding horse with tack. I've had to do it all on a shoe string. I started out with a £200 carriage and slowly upgraded until I got my beloved Bennington.

Whereabouts are you? I'm sure there will be someone local who will take you under their wing to get some experience.

merlin84

Visit site
I wasn’t expecting to find it exhilarating in the same way as riding! Also it is more similar to riding than I realised although I think I kept twitching my leg thinking I needed to put some leg on!

Am in SE London just off the A2 but my share horse is kept in Kent

scruffyponies

Visit site
Another shoestring driver here. It doesn't have to be horrific on your purse.

My most frequently used harness is a foreign leather pony set - it cost me £30 twenty years ago. It has needed repairs from time to time. Learn to repair bits of stitching etc; it will save you a fortune.
Cheapest carriage I ever owned cost £50 (breaking cart at auction). Most expensive is my current 4-wheeler at £800, which I can drive to a single or pair 12hh to 15hh. It came with two sets of harness.
Over the years I have owned, enjoyed and sold on a number of vehicles. Generally they hold their value, and if you're a careful buyer and/or handy you won't lose money.

I don't see driving stuff as 'spending' so much as 'alternative investments'.

Also remember that all the time you're trotting around a field / country lane, you are nowhere near the shops... so it's saving money really :D

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I had 6 driving lessons about 20 years ago with a pair of Fell ponies...I enjoyed it alot. I have nowhere really to drive around here and I feel I would be to vulnerable on the roads otherwise I'd love a little pony and cart 😁😁😁

scruffyponies

Visit site
70332199_10220090171550929_6808882731762581504_n.jpg

scruffyponies

Visit site
I had to be a bit fly getting the camera out and taking that shot, if I'm honest.

Driving is such an amazing experience. A good driving pony is almost telepathic, and responds like part of the driver. Still working on getting 3 of us to work together perfectly, as that's a bit more tricky.

Leo Walker

Visit site
That's a huge part of it for me. When it all comes together that's exactly what it feels like. I am useless with my left and right and will quite often say left but mean right, yet my pony always goes the way I mean. I have no idea how other than telepathy!