Oh dear, I've done something very stupid...

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Oh good God, what have I done!
Right, bit of back story; Mum and I have just (a week ago) moved yards to somewhere with group TO as Dude wouldn't let any other horses into his and Ava's field (companion plan didn't work). All feeling very happy and settled. Only one stable currently available, Mum and I come to the agreement that *if* another comes available, that's when we look for another horse. Very small yard with hardly any turnover, so not likely for at least a year.

So, picture the scene (dreamy music starts); it's Sunday morning, the weather's nicer than it has been for days. We get a message from the YO, one of the other liverys has taken on another horse and is moving somewhere with two stables, would we like the her old one?! YES!!! Immediately got shot back by the Mother. Words that I won't post here, instinctively fired out of my mouth in Mother's direction. Along the lines of "What on earth are you thinking, you silly old bean?!" (Please feel free to use your own imagination)

An advert was promptly shoved in my face of some indiscriminate bay TB mare. Phone dialed for me and somehow we were on our way to Horstead Keynes. :oops:

"Nope, not buying it. It's too soon after Ava." Says I on the drive there. "I don't even *want* another one yet. AND, it's not even chestnut!"
"We can but look" says the ever optimistic lunatic sat to my left :rolleyes:
"It's not been ridden for months, a complete unknown, I was buying something *sensible* this time" I protest.

We arrive, and trudge out to the field to see this mare. I get asked the inevitable "what are you looking for?" On our walk. 'Not this' thinks I. However, I answer in the most sensible fashion I can.

Well, there she was, a skinny sad looking mare troughing through her hay. Typical broodmare belly, but some wonderfully kind eyes and a beautiful face. A headcollar was slung on and I gave her quick trot up and a spin on the lunge "Sound!" Came the proclamation from Mum behind me. Completely fell in love, attempted not to let sellers know (failed). Walked to car trying to act nonchalant, pretended I would think about it and BACS deposit over if I decided yes. Got to car and chickened out, worrying she might go, so walked back to hand over cash. Remind me never to become a dealer :p.

So everyone, please may I introduce the gorgeous Widlake Snowdrop (Grace at home)...

The picture is from her ad, I will get some more once she's home.
She's 10 years old, 16.2hh, has been a broodmare her whole life and never been given a stable name :(. We've settled on Grace, as she is just the most kind and gentle horse you ever will meet. She's not your typical TB in any way, very chunky and so, so calm. If anyone with more knowledge of TB breeding could tell me anything about her, I'd be most grateful. Her sire is Echo of Light and her dam is Artic High (don't know damsire, sorry).

Feeling very conflicted as it is still so soon after Ava, but I really can't see a lovely, sad little mare and walk away. Picture of my gorgeous girly, as I know she'd hate being left out

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
How lovely 💕. It could also be the best decision you ever made so no sense worrying about the odds on that yet 😀. All the best horses find their perfect owner not the other way round.

Reactions: JJS

EquestrianE01

Visit site
How lovely 💕. It could also be the best decision you ever made so no sense worrying about the odds on that yet 😀. All the best horses find their perfect owner not the other way round.

Thank you, I think she's definitely more sensible than my last purchase (Ava :p). I mean, at least this one didn't try to kill me at the viewing :eek:

EquestrianE01

Visit site
She looks lovely.
To find out about her breeding use the search facility on the Racing Post website.

Thank you, I've looked up her sire, but can't find anything on the dam. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me a bit more about the temperaments those two tend to throw, I know most of her siblings are either UK or Irish bred NH horses but that's about it

NLPM

Visit site
Both beautiful mares. Best of luck with Grace (lovely name for a lovely sounding horse!) - sometimes these things are just meant to be. Not a single one of mine was what I was looking for, including.... 'that one you want to put an offer in on has sold, but I've got this other one that's much younger and wilder and clearly a much worse option?' and 'you want a 16hh bay showjumper gelding? OK. Well I know a 15hh that's not bay or a gelding and will trip over every pole she ever sees but can cat leap a good 1.2m clear over a 30cm fallen tree?'

They are the best two horses I've ever known! [Although I never made a jumper out of the mare...]

the ever optimistic lunatic sat to my left :rolleyes:

I get asked the inevitable "what are you looking for?" On our walk. 'Not this' thinks I.

You are hilarious, OP :D

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Both beautiful mares. Best of luck with Grace (lovely name for a lovely sounding horse!) - sometimes these things are just meant to be. Not a single one of mine was what I was looking for, including.... 'that one you want to put an offer in on has sold, but I've got this other one that's much younger and wilder and clearly a much worse option?' and 'you want a 16hh bay showjumper gelding? OK. Well I know a 15hh that's not bay or a gelding and will trip over every pole she ever sees but can cat leap a good 1.2m clear over a 30cm fallen tree?'

They are the best two horses I've ever known! [Although I never made a jumper out of the mare...]

Oh now don't be giving me ideas!!!

You are hilarious, OP :D

Thank you, so glad someone has finally realised my genius :p:p:p

Asha

Visit site
Clearly a bonkers thing to do ! But we all do crazy things from time to time . Life would be very dull if we did everything by the book 100% of the time
She looks very sweet , I hope you have many happy years together . 😊

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Clearly a bonkers thing to do ! But we all do crazy things from time to time . Life would be very dull if we did everything by the book 100% of the time
She looks very sweet , I hope you have many happy years together . 😊

Thank you, unfortunately when it comes to horses I feel my bonkers to sensible ratio is seriously out of whack

Trouper

Visit site
You have a very clever Mother - be grateful!!;) Personally I don't think it pays to try and find a replica (says she who did just that!) as they are never the same and there is always to the tendency to compare. Start afresh with this lovely looking girl who clearly deserves a wonderful home with you and will probably repay you a thousand fold!! Just love it when the stars align in the heavens!!

EquestrianE01

Visit site
You have a very clever Mother - be grateful!!;) Personally I don't think it pays to try and find a replica (says she who did just that!) as they are never the same and there is always to the tendency to compare. Start afresh with this lovely looking girl who clearly deserves a wonderful home with you and will probably repay you a thousand fold!! Just love it when the stars align in the heavens!!

Ah you see, I have a long standing history of making ill advised purchases of crazy ginger ninjas. I've had two absolutely fabulous ones now, and have had to be dragged away from many more.

My other previous crazy...