Oh dear....

RainbowDash

Visit site
He doesn't look as bad as you described :) - I would get on and use those hills to your advantage - walk out for the first week, walk, trot second week and just build up from 30 minutes or so and build it up. Do give him a small hand full of feed if that's part of your routine but no more until the work rate has built up.

I had the opposite problem to you - my lad was underweight when i brought him so needed feeding up and was very unfit.

NZJenny

Visit site
I was expecting something FAT. He looks fine to me, just unfit. Why not start riding, and if you find yourself on hills that you think are too much for him, just get off and walk.

Equi

Visit site
He needs toned, but i have seen MUCH much worse, even in "competition" horses.

This was my mare about a month or two after i got her. When they say minis need NO food...they mean it! Was my first mini though and after a poor doing TB it was quite a change so the cool mix and 2months of summer grass was a nooooo. Shes nice and trim now though :)

Also, just to add, shes fed adlib crap hay as much as possible and just lo-cal balancer. She is slimmer on adlib than she was on seriously restricted feed. Happier too! Come summer yes, she won't be on the grass, but its a sacrifice for her health. Adlib hay will still be available.

cccebb53-caff-4df3-8d76-560890f92117_zpsizwsrzkl.jpg

Last edited:

VikingSong

Visit site
I wouldn't say he was particularly fat, more unfit really which will improve once his workload increases. However, I would swap the sugarbeet for speedibeet though.

twiggy2

Visit site
If he has been living out I would just get on and do walking hacks of about half hour to 40 mins from the start, start trot work after a week to ten days, just short steady bursts of 2 mins and build up length of trot and frequency, I dont thin, he looks fat in those photos, but does he have a crest?
Remember a horse living out will have a much higher level of fitness than one that has been stabled as they move in the field all the time, all walking work should be brusque and forward. Hills are great just what you need.
ETA I just looked at his photo again and his field looks to be on a hill? If so he is already doing hill work and his level of fitness wont be terrible so I am not sure why people are thinking the hills will be an issue, I would just crack on op.

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site
He doesn't look as bad as you described :) - I would get on and use those hills to your advantage - walk out for the first week, walk, trot second week and just build up from 30 minutes or so and build it up. Do give him a small hand full of feed if that's part of your routine but no more until the work rate has built up.

I had the opposite problem to you - my lad was underweight when i brought him so needed feeding up and was very unfit.

Thats the thing hes used to getting hard feed so I was feeling a bit unsure about stopping it completely, but dont want to hinder him getting fit :/
Maybe rather than stopping completely ill just give him a small amount of chaff and see. If hes still not reallly getting anywhere or starts ballooning once the spring grass comes in ill stop and just get him a lick.
Believe it or not this pony wasnt in the best of shapes when I bought him. He was underweight, full of worms, and had been ridden his little legs off by a whip happy teenager. You wouldn't think its the same pony to look at him now.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
He needs toned, but i have seen MUCH much worse, even in "competition" horses.

This was my mare about a month or two after i got her. When they say minis need NO food...they mean it! Was my first mini though and after a poor doing TB it was quite a change so the cool mix and 2months of summer grass was a nooooo. Shes nice and trim now though :)

Also, just to add, shes fed adlib crap hay as much as possible and just lo-cal balancer. She is slimmer on adlib than she was on seriously restricted feed. Happier too! Come summer yes, she won't be on the grass, but its a sacrifice for her health. Adlib hay will still be available.

cccebb53-caff-4df3-8d76-560890f92117_zpsizwsrzkl.jpg

Aww bless! Thats the thing the hay my YO owner had was brought in from up country somewhere and was very good I have to admit. Basically my YO was putting a bail in the paddock for the horses and ponies that live out and the little sods dont move from it! I have actually seen my boy asleep with his head still in the bail :D

Equine_Dream

Visit site
If he has been living out I would just get on and do walking hacks of about half hour to 40 mins from the start, start trot work after a week to ten days, just short steady bursts of 2 mins and build up length of trot and frequency, I dont thin, he looks fat in those photos, but does he have a crest?
Remember a horse living out will have a much higher level of fitness than one that has been stabled as they move in the field all the time, all walking work should be brusque and forward. Hills are great just what you need.
ETA I just looked at his photo again and his field looks to be on a hill? If so he is already doing hill work and his level of fitness wont be terrible so I am not sure why people are thinking the hills will be an issue, I would just crack on op.

He isnt particularly cresty no
Yes his paddock does have a slight slope. His last one did to. I keep him on a mountain farm so basically all the fields have slight hills and slopes :D

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Considering he has such a thick coat which is making him look 'puffed' out I really don't think he is fat at all. You could lead him up and down those hills that would get a bit of muscle on him ready for you to ride him.