Oh for Goodness sake Get a Grip of your self !!!!

tubby1

Visit site
I am so annoyed with myself , my nerves are back with avengence , thought I'd got over this stage !!!! My lovely big horsey is taking the p*** out of me shooting forward then reversing making me think she is going up . I know it's my fault inconsistent contact with my outside rein and not being quick enough to push forward. Not looking for sympathy just need a kick up the backside to get me through this bit. Can't deal with the nerves again. Please either provide a large confident kick or tell me your positive stories 😳

wills_91

Visit site
And breathe. Tomorrow is another day. Is this in the school or out hacking or both? Can you get some lessons on a school master or ride a friends sensible horse to get some nerve back?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Saying that, my little horse Moses suddenly started spooking forward in the school. A bird tweeting. Someone laughing, a pigeon in the hedge....whoosh off he would go, no warning...0 to flat out in a fraction of a second. Scared the bloody life out of me I can tell you! I don't feel silly saying it either, the sod did it five times in just under half an hour, shook me up. I made him walk around for a bit before getting off. My so called friend at the yard called me a wuss because I got off, i don't care! I decided I wasn't getting back on without support so called the lady who backed him, she came out and hacked him, he took off with her four times, I called in my instructor and we lunged him and it was clear he just was not right on one rein. I had the chiro vet and he had a poorly back. So there was a reason, but it has still taken me a while to build my confidence back up. Get yourself some help, do get her checked out, just in case and don't kick yourself . I think it's a sign you are sensible, those are the behaviours that get you on the floor!!! Only an idiot would ignore them and you are clearly not one of those!!! Unlike my ex friend!!!! ;)

Last edited:

SadKen

Visit site
Mine's being a tool at the moment too. I broke my arm and just got back on board; the combination of coming in at night and being ridden by other less forceful riders while I was out of action means we are having a disagreement every time I ride, involving shooting forward and bunching up and general silliness. I am not frightened of my girl cos she is a sweetie really, but I am very wary of hurting my arm again (not reaaally supposed to get back on for another month). This is putting me off riding due to the effort and stress involved in having the argument every time. I haven't ridden for three days. I haven't said this to anyone because I'm a bit embarrassed and also angry with my girl despite knowing that's irrational.

I realise this is no help to you OP except for the possible suggestion that the time of year might not be helping, but wanted to say you're not alone and you and me are going to pick ourselves up and we are going to get through this! Things can and will get better, and in the meantime we will have some wine!

Turks

Visit site
Mine's being a tool at the moment too. I broke my arm and just got back on board; the combination of coming in at night and being ridden by other less forceful riders while I was out of action means we are having a disagreement every time I ride, involving shooting forward and bunching up and general silliness. I am not frightened of my girl cos she is a sweetie really, but I am very wary of hurting my arm again (not reaaally supposed to get back on for another month). This is putting me off riding due to the effort and stress involved in having the argument every time. I haven't ridden for three days. I haven't said this to anyone because I'm a bit embarrassed and also angry with my girl despite knowing that's irrational.

I realise this is no help to you OP except for the possible suggestion that the time of year might not be helping, but wanted to say you're not alone and you and me are going to pick ourselves up and we are going to get through this! Things can and will get better, and in the meantime we will have some wine!

Well SK, you have probably helped OP but defo helped me. Onwards and upwards. Ta muchly:)

flosskins

Visit site
SING! Lunge first to get rid of all excess energy, and sing outloud! It keeps you breathing which helps stop you tensing up, which transfers to your horse. Or ride with someone who can make you laugh! But although you need to stay alert anything that stops you tensing and waiting for the horse to misbehave!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Turn this on its head.

Instead of thinking that your horse is taking the p, consider what it is that you are doing that is asking her to perform the movements that she is doing now. When you understand that she is responding to your aids, you can begin to change the aids that you are giving, to ones that ask for what you DO want her to do.

In fact you have already begun to identify the problem aids, so with the help of a good instructor, I'm sure that you will be able to take back control of the situation and get your horse moving as you want to her to again.

When you know that you are controlling the situation, your confidence will build.

But also ask your RI to watch her carefully in case there is a problem that she is trying to alert you to.

tubby1

Visit site
Thanks guys for all your replies, taken a wee step back today & had day off (thanks to lovely OH ). The big girlie has had a day in the field rather than a couple of hours. Going to lunge & do ground work Tommorow. And take it from there. Need to look out my brave pants ,body protector, neck strap and best singing voice x

tashcat

Visit site
Think everything else has been covered but I wanted to add that before competing (when feeling nervous) I have a friend who takes human calming medicine - natural remedies that you can buy in a pharmacy. (Not exactly sure what could be: st johns wort maybe).

If you're feeling like you might be having a rough or nervous day then why not give it a try. Does not affect performance! :)