Oh god - Lockdown Ebay accident...

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Someone stop me, I have far too much evening time on my hands and I have just had an Ebay accident to the tune of about £400 o_O

Good deals though, three Rambo rugs for £65 or less each - love that he is 7ft3 as no-one wants them!
A new hacking riding crop to help me open gates - it's perfect for the job and I have never seen one like it -bamboo with a horn hooked end. I just couldn't let it pass me by of course.
And some flex boots as I have taken Jacobs back shoes off and he's struggling with the rocky lane to the yard.. so obviously absolutely needed..
I may have also bought a Pivo for less than RRP which is also completely essential.. not, not at all. Oh god I have gone mad!

Some of you must have had similar purchase accidents recently... someone make me feel better!! :D

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Not ebay but facebook, but I've just bought some hoof boots too. £100 for nearly new Renegades. One is wider than the other and my horse has one foot wider than the other so it seemed like a cinderella moment. Hope they fit. Current fusion boots haven't been needed for years and are falling apart.

Evie91

Visit site
At least you have spent money on stuff you will use. I spent £73 on a bespoke collar for the dog and hate it!! I thought it would be half the width (numbers not my strong point), similar to the Kate Negus collar I have for my collie (brown leather, with brass clinchers - looks like old fashioned brown band). This one is red with brass but its huge,at least twice the width of the KN one - fits, beautifully made, soft and supple but would look better on a staffie,rottie,boxer, malnois type dog than dainty lab cross collie - I’m gutted!!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I've just paid £50 for some dog toe nail grips from the states, not sure what I was thinking but the ad and reviews looked good ?

Interesting - I think I have seen these, do they go over the nail and look almost like polish? Apparently handy for older dogs on wooden floors.

At least you have spent money on stuff you will use. I spent £73 on a bespoke collar for the dog and hate it!! I thought it would be half the width (numbers not my strong point), similar to the Kate Negus collar I have for my collie (brown leather, with brass clinchers - looks like old fashioned brown band). This one is red with brass but its huge,at least twice the width of the KN one - fits, beautifully made, soft and supple but would look better on a staffie,rottie,boxer, malnois type dog than dainty lab cross collie - I’m gutted!!

Oh no! It sounds lovely but a shame you're not keen. Could you find a local boot mender or leatherworker that could cut and re-stitch it so all is not totally lost?

Oh I'm very jealous of the hacking crop!

I am so excited, I have been looking for 'the one' for months and didn't think what I wanted existed so had to jump on it. Jacob is better with gates, but I am not physically long enough to hold it open so it doesn't get him in the bum, not ideal if they're weighed either which most are. Can't wait to go up top and try it out!

You don't want to know how many saddlecloths I've bought... Oh, and a Prolite girth.

NOOOO, you've just reminded me of the two LeMieux saddle pads I bought on Ebay on Tuesday :oops: In my defense I only currently own one after clearin out what I no longer liked, and the LeMieux ones are the ones which fit him best in the wither... is that enough excuses?! Which did you get?

criso

Visit site
The wellies I sold were a useless impulse purchase, they had sold out of a 6 and I thought a 7 would be OK with socks but they were more like an 8. Luckily they were such a good price that I managed to get what I paid back including postage.

Pippity

Visit site
NOOOO, you've just reminded me of the two LeMieux saddle pads I bought on Ebay on Tuesday :oops: In my defense I only currently own one after clearin out what I no longer liked, and the LeMieux ones are the ones which fit him best in the wither... is that enough excuses?! Which did you get?

Um... Weatherbeeta rainbow ombre, Woof Wear ocean and shiraz, Rhinegold goldy-mustard and royal blue, a cheap pink one with diamante heart... And they all have to have matching overreach boots and fly bonnet, obviously. And matching hat silk.

I'm not allowed any more.

In fact, I'm not allowed to buy ANYTHING. Unless I find some straight-topped long boots, preferably with a garter strap, suitable for short, wide legs, for under £200.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The wellies I sold were a useless impulse purchase, they had sold out of a 6 and I thought a 7 would be OK with socks but they were more like an 8. Luckily they were such a good price that I managed to get what I paid back including postage.

That's lucky! I have done this many times before I am truly a size 5.5 but I can't tell you how many size 5 pairs of shoes I own that just aren't comfortable but 'should have been fine'.

Approx £260 on fur lined boots! Though I’m not sorry about it they are lovely!

I am seriously in love. I really want to ask you where you got them from, but it's probably best that I don't look at the photo too hard and I'm not told :D

Um... Weatherbeeta rainbow ombre, Woof Wear ocean and shiraz, Rhinegold goldy-mustard and royal blue, a cheap pink one with diamante heart... And they all have to have matching overreach boots and fly bonnet, obviously. And matching hat silk.

I'm not allowed any more.

In fact, I'm not allowed to buy ANYTHING. Unless I find some straight-topped long boots, preferably with a garter strap, suitable for short, wide legs, for under £200.

That is an enviable spree, I feel much better about mine now! Although I swear every time you post it reminds me of another thing I have bought in the last week that I have forgotten about (I may have also gotten 2 sets of 4 exercise boots which I saw a day later on Ebay also to match said numnahs - I'm terrible).

Evie91

Visit site
Oh no! It sounds lovely but a shame you're not keen. Could you find a local boot mender or leatherworker that could cut and re-stitch it so all is not totally lost?
Great idea but the clinchers are larger than I anticipated and it really is beautifully made,padded, hand stitched - which forms part of the design so no scope for alteration. Waited for ages as bought old dogs one at Burghley one year (and it’s at least five years so far and still looks great) when I was cancelled decided on internet purchase instead. Oh well!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Went on a shopping spree for baby horse, who shows up on Thursday (all being well!). I bought her a hi-viz quarter sheet that will attach to surcingle, although she will need to learn about both rugs and surcingles. I bought her a nice rope halter and lead for training, and..... tat. Basically. Just tat. My friend, who's from Germany, has a cool headcollar thingme made out of rope that just slides over the horse's head. It's very easy to use and gives you a wee bit more control. I wanted one for bringing her in and out of the turnout field. I'd naively thought I had found an identical thing online for £11. But it showed up in the post today, and it wasn't that. It was a length of rope with a bite at the end. That's it. You can shove a loop of rope through the bite, sling that around the horse's nose, and voila, you have a rough-and-ready headcollar. Except I'm pretty sure the barn staff and assorted mates actually don't want to do that every day (or at all). I don't really want to do that. I could have saved £11 and made the same damned thing out of a retired climbing rope by tying a figure-of-eight on a bite.

On the other hand, I have learned how to make an emergency headcollar and lead out of just about any rope. Find a loose horse while on a mountaineering trip? I got it sorted.

Abseil tat? Prussik? Rug-hanging line?

155504214_10100904832729855_3415864786675707202_o.jpg

Last edited:

criso

Visit site
Went on a shopping spree for baby horse, who shows up on Thursday (all being well!). I bought her a hi-viz quarter sheet that will attach to surcingle, although she will need to learn about both rugs and surcingles. I bought her a nice rope halter and lead for training, and..... tat. Basically. Just tat. My friend, who's from Germany, has a cool headcollar thingme made out of rope that just slides over the horse's head. It's very easy to use and gives you a wee bit more control. I wanted one for bringing her in and out of the turnout field. I'd naively thought I had found an identical thing online for £11. But it showed up in the post today, and it wasn't that. It was a length of rope with a loop at the end. That's it. You can shove a loop of rope through the bite, sling that around the horse's nose, and you have a headcollar. Except I'm pretty sure the barn staff and assorted mates actually don't want to do that every day (or at all). I don't really want to do that. I could have saved £11 and made the same damned thing out of a retired climbing rope by tying a figure-of-eight on a bite.

On the other hand, I have learned how to make an emergency headcollar and lead out of just about any rope.

Abseil tat? Prussik? Rug-hanging line?

View attachment 66777

If Ikea made headcollars, it sounds like the headcollar equivalent of flat pack furniture.

Caol Ila

Visit site
If Ikea made headcollars, it sounds like the headcollar equivalent of flat pack furniture.

Yes... but with the shocked and baffled feeling you'd have if you thought the flatpack chair would be an intact table.

My German friend knows how to make the type of headcollar I want, provided she has an appropriate rope. So I've now bought some meters of rope from a rope supplier, which sells everything from climbing ropes, vehicle tow ropes, marine ropes, rope access rope... all the ropes. It's called ropelocker.co.uk, for all your rope needs.

fankino04

Visit site
Interesting - I think I have seen these, do they go over the nail and look almost like polish? Apparently handy for older dogs on wooden floors
Yep that's them, the house is covered in rugs and runners but she still squeezes into the only non covered bits as I think she likes that the floor is cooler, but as an old girl with some muscle atrophy the getting up from the floor isn't as easy as it once was.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Your "hacking crop" sounds like it is a hunting whip without the thong and lash ?

That’s exactly what it is, except it has Rams horn as my issue with the last one is that the straight horn handle wasn’t quite ‘hooked’ enough to work fully. I also then broke it in half with my face when he decked me on the Downs ?

E647F517-A577-44D3-98C3-40D8D6173C0B.jpeg