OH god what a day!!! found something i shoudnt have :<

bambigirl

Visit site
Hiya, well here goes... i fetched my youngster out of the field today for a bath and a fettle hes 2 yr old, he was gelded at the yard i bought him from last august so anyway i was covering him in coopers fly stuff round his sheath.. and grabbed a handful of testicle... hes been running with mares... im not sure what to do..

pics of him below

mayjune048.jpg

mayjune049.jpg

mayjune050.jpg

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh dear
blush.gif

I don't know much about these things..., but oops, that don't look too promising. Any of the mares looking on the plump side? I'm trying to work out timings and dates and not doing very well
cool.gif

Have you posted this in Breeding? Asked your vet?

Good luck!

f_s_

Visit site
Oh dear!!!!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...is it an actual testicle, or just loose skin???

Don't doubt you for a moment, but just thought I'd ask!
grin.gif
grin.gif

hopppydi

Visit site
That dosent look right for a gelding? I think id be talking to the vets...could it be some sort of weird swelling so to speak
blush.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Probably not what you want to hear, but I used to breed and show dogs and if someone had a dog with an undescended testicle it was often suggested that letting them mate a bitch was a good way to get it to drop
tongue.gif

lozzles

Visit site
this is gonna sound odd but could it be due to a fly bite, a definate gelding we owned looked a bit like that after a fly bite.

Keltic

Visit site
Was it your vet or another that castrated him? Id be on the phone tomo, hope the below helps a bit.

<font color="blue"> Temporary retention occurs mainly in ponies and is characterised by small testicles weighing less than forty grams. This condition usually involves only one testicle and in 75% of cases, it is the right side. The retained testicle can occasionally be felt in the inguinal canal but more often than not the horse has to be sedated to allow confirmation of its position. If left alone, the retained testicle will eventually descend into the scrotum by the time the horse has reached three years of age </font>

bambigirl

Visit site
im going to ring them first thing, it was the previous owners vet that castrated him, iv spoken to her tonight and she said she didnt watch but it was apperntly done correctly... its baffled me

china

Visit site
just get your vet out to take a look. my NF when he was 3 had this and everyone panicked and thought he was a rig or something. the vet said it was a hernia so he went to langford to have it removed, when we got there it turned out just to be a fluid sack. this can happen in youngsters apparantly and the surgeon said that if left overtime with exercise it would go down but they did it for "comsmetic reasons" aka money lol. keep an eye out, i found that his would disapeer and then drop back down throughout the day.

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse has this and its his nut sack. He can even retract it. SOmetimes late cut geldings have a bigger nutsack after gelding, which is what has happened to my horse. As they are more developed than those gelded at 6 months or so.

He is a gelding, but hash an empty, but prominent sack. This was confirmed by a vet.

Blue-bear

Visit site
Will be interested to hear what the outcome is as i was told that there is some kind of law against only removing one testicle when someone is paying for the animal to be castrated. I would most definatly be getting on the vets that did it.

f_s_

Visit site
I would have a word with the vet that originally did the castration.

Also apparently there is two ways of castrating, they either make one cut or two??!!! Don't know if that's relevant but my vet told me this.
grin.gif

I hope that he has been gelded properly, otherwise I think you wold have a good case against the vet who did it for costs, extra surgery, plus he may have managed to get the mares in foal!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

I hope it's just loose skin. Let us know what happens and good luck
smile.gif

sallyellis

Visit site
Hi my advice is obviously to ring the vets that originally castrated him and the old owners. But on the other side I bought an Arab gelding and this happened to him and I reacted much in the way that you did, it turned out to be fluid and usually happened when it got very hot. He was only 3 as well so it backs up what a lot of others on here have said. Please keep us informed and I am keeping my fingers crossed that all is well.

Kenzo

Visit site
Contact the vet who castrated him and if possible get them down to inspect it as they should be interested to know what has happened, if only one dropped at the time then the vet should of informed the owner to wait for both or he should of been put out and done on the operating table to locate the other one.

Does it feel like testical? (if you have every felt a colts wot not before
grin.gif
)

A simple blood test will also confirm thigns although your vet will know if he looks at it.