Oh Great....He's come in lame this evenign, advice needed....

smallgirl

Visit site
Help.......my horse came in lame this evening, its very hard ground, lots of snow too today so I think he has been for a hoolie.

He's not wanting to weight bear on his right hind leg, theres no swelling on the leg from the top of it down to the bottom, there is what I would call a spongy bubble thing on the underside of his fetlock, which has come up before when he did something similar, this went down overnight and he was fine the next day.

I'm a bit more concerned about this one as he was weight bearing last time but not this time, he will put it down when he has to when turning him to go back into the stable but not really otherwise.

I have cold hosed it tonight for 20 mins and put him to bed in his stable and will have to see what it is like in the morning.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what it could be, am I doing the right thing etc. Bear in mind if it is no better tomorrow morning I will be phoning the Vet, but I couldn't see what they could do between tonight and tomorrow morning that would make a huge difference as he is in on a deep bed resting it. But maybe I'm wrong so please let me knwo what you think.

Thanks in advance

brightmount

Visit site
Yes well I would agree you're doing the right thing with rest and cold hosing. It sounds like a pulled tendon with fluid in the tendon sheath. I would keep him in for a few days even if he seems better, especially if the ground is hard or slippery. Best to get the vet out if he's not weight bearing in the morning.

(((vibes)))

smallgirl

Visit site
I guess its a wait and see game with this one, ground has been very hard so he might have twisted round in the field and as there's no cushion in it he's tweaked something.

Thanks for the vibes, got my fingers crossed too.

smallgirl

Visit site
He is much better this morning, still not wanting to put all his weight on it but much more than last night, I have cold hosed it again, the spongy bubble has vitually gone so I think if I leave him in today and see what he is like later I am on the right track.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Sounds like its something time, and just TLC might cure, but just keep an eye on him when you next let him out, as if he is tearing around like an idiot, or fighting with another hrose it could be a swollen tendon sheath or something like that....
glad he is getting better htough!

smallgirl

Visit site
Thanks Lucy - I think thats what I think but you know what it is like, can't be complacent, thats why this place is so good, we can ask for advice when we need it, sometimes its good to put our minds at rest.

smallgirl

Visit site
Hmm so he had been in since Wed (3 days) and I thought he was so much better that I'd put him out for 20 mins whilst I mucked him out. Only he's come back in lame again. So I have phoned the vet as I am at the end of what I know and he has told me to keep him in for the weekend and he'll come out on Monday to see him. I've also got to poultice his foot in case there is an abcess, although this is just to be on the safe side.

Sooo....it might be hgher up the leg than I first thought, oh great, thank goodness he's insured.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Indeed, insurance is much appreciated in such circumstances!!!
I am sorry it has not gotten better, but that might indicate that there may be something like an abscess that won't just go away with box rest?
but just htink of it this way, you are doing process of elimination!
smile.gif

smallgirl

Visit site
I hot poulticed his foot today and this evening there's gunk on the poultice pad, so ithink I've found part of the problem. Thank you so much for suggesting this, I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.