Oh I am so very excited...

HEM

Visit site
I have just had the best phone call from Mum after coming out of the longest, most boring meeting of my life!

"You know that police puppy fostering post you tagged me in a while ago, well I did apply in the end and they have accepted our initial application and want to come and do a home visit!"

I haven't been able to stop smiling this whole afternoon even though I have been constantly reminding myself it is still early days!!

My whole life I have begged for a dog of my own and now as my parents are retired at home/working part time they have finally given in... to a degree! But I will take it!

I have all my fingers and toes crossed!! I really hope we are suitable to be foster parents to a furry friend!

Has anyone else done puppy fostering for the police force, I would love to hear your stories!

HEM

Visit site
No stories to share I'm afraid but congrats on the progress so far, it sounds like a great thing to do (less the giving them back again bit)

Thanks! Yes, that is going to be very difficult but it is for a great cause! Hopefully I will be able to remind my self of that when the time comes anyway!! :oops:

Moobli

Visit site
Never done fostering (as couldn’t hand them back) but my ex was a police dog handler/instructor for the majority of his police service and a friend of mine recently puppy walked my dog’s brother for Police Scotland. She is a dog handler but her own GP dog won’t be retiring for a couple of years so she fostered the pup for experience. She’s recently handed him over to his new handler.

Brilliant thing your parents are doing. Which force is it for?

Reactions: HEM

HEM

Visit site
Never done fostering (as couldn’t hand them back) but my ex was a police dog handler/instructor for the majority of his police service and a friend of mine recently puppy walked my dog’s brother for Police Scotland. She is a dog handler but her own GP dog won’t be retiring for a couple of years so she fostered the pup for experience. She’s recently handed him over to his new handler.

Brilliant thing your parents are doing. Which force is it for?

Yes, I am absolutely dreading handing it back to them but it is for a great cause and that is what I have to keep telling myself!

I believe Essex Police, although I know they work very closely with the Met too so potentially could end up in either. Not sure what type of dog unit the puppy will end up with, I think it is likely a case of you are get what you are given.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Good thing to do but you must be prepared to hand the Dog back.
Remember it's not your dog. This is very hard and you really must go in to it with your eyes open.

Clodagh

Visit site
Good thing to do but you must be prepared to hand the Dog back.
Remember it's not your dog. This is very hard and you really must go in to it with your eyes open.

But then you get a new cute puppy in exchange (if you want to). We used to walk foxhound pups and were always delighted when they got to the horrible teens and went back to kennels.

Sandstone1

Visit site
But then you get a new cute puppy in exchange (if you want to). We used to walk foxhound pups and were always delighted when they got to the horrible teens and went back to kennels.
Yes I agree. It's a great thing to do but you really have to be very sure you are prepared to give pup back. It can be hard!