Oh it just gets better

Nic

Visit site
The vet has just confirmed that D has arthritis in his coffin joints in both ffront feet. Depending on how he reacts to the steroids next Thursday, it is almost certain he will never event again.
frown.gif

I will never sell him so perhaps it is dressage here we come
smirk.gif

I feel really shi**y, how many times has he been in pain when I have called him a badly behaved donkey. Not feeling great at the mo.

frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

KJJ

Visit site
Oh no hun.. hugs to you and to neddy.

4.gif

As for him being in pain.. you were not to know... and you know that 9/10 he would have just been taking the mickey and having a game!!!

Good luck for next Thursday hun xx

ruscara

Visit site
Oh, dear. That is bad news. I hope the steriods do the trick for him, and give him another year or so at least. They can sometimes work wonders. Yes, I have been guilty of the same as you, and feel awful about it. We can only do our best though, and horses sadly can't talk.
frown.gif

Puppy

Visit site
Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that and best of luck thursday. xxx

Please don't beat yourself up about it. I bet nearly every single horse owner at some point makes the mistake of misinterpretting discomfort as naughtiness.

(((hugs)))

vicster

Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear the news - just see how the steroids go you never know, if not then like you said you cna always do dressage i know it isn't as fun as eventing but at least you will be able to do something ay keep your chin up sweetie
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Sorry to hear that... someone I know had cartrophen (sp??) injections for her horse because of arthritus. Is that what your horse is having? I just know this horse was so much better after these, so don't let yourself get too down in the dumps.

Even if you have to retire him to doing pure dressage, I am sure you will many a good time with him doing that. Try to think positive honey.

airedale

Visit site
I hope you are not having steroid (Cortisone) injections done into the joints ?

Please ensure that your vet advises you very carefully if that is what you are planning to have done, regarding the risk of laminitis as a result of these injections.

Also, Cortisone is known, in both horses and humans, to destroy the cartilige in joints over a period of time and no more than 3 injections should ever be given.

I totally abhor any use of Cortisone on animals or humans.

If your 'steroid' IS Cortisone then please take extra advice and google thoroughly before you make this decision final.

Good luck and sad about the news.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Just a gentle Beware! Based on personal experience check twice daily that while on Steroids or after completing the course of Steroids that he does not go pottery or have an elevated digital pulse as Seroids can set off Laminitis.

juliehannah58

Visit site
Oh huney, I'm so sorry

2.gif

I know how you feel, after spending years getting my mare going just pefectly she has a chronic check ligament injury, if I had completely stopped her work right at the start instead of listening to my vet, she might be fine now instead of 6 months box rest.

It happens to us all, as they can't tell us whats wrong and some are so good at hidding it.

Chin up
xx

Nic

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the hugs. The injections are NOT cortisone and we have (and will again before Thursday) dicussed it thoroughly with our vet.

I am fully aware of the risks regarding laminitis and aware of it's effects. Our little pony will be PTS this autumn due to laminitus brought on by cushings
frown.gif