Oh no, loan fell through for Alice -In a different country -help!!!!

Apalacia01

Visit site
Well, the inevitable happened and the loan fell through for Alice. So I have 30 days to find someone. Problem is I am in a different country.

So I have 3 options 1) try to find someone through word of mouth and correspond via e-mail and phone only
2) Fly over (for 500 quid) and do 2days of intensive viewings
3) Ship her to the States (mum not convinced that it is worth 6000 quid).

Any ideas? Please? This was the worst thing that could happen,and the best I suppose, as loan really wasn't going well, and all the work was starting to go backwards.

frown.gif
confused.gif
smirk.gif

Eira

Visit site
Have you got someone over here that you trust that could carry out viewings for you ?

Sorry to hear things have not gone the best for you
frown.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
Nailed -indefinately - I love it over here.....

Argh I knew this was going to happen!

ISH- Duckling and medley are both close to me, Duckling rides Alice but goes back to uni on Saturday. There are people, but its just uncomfortable to have to ask others to do it! Thanks for your responses.

harvgj19

Visit site
Same thing happened to me and I couldn't afford option 2 or 3, so had to do 1) with the help of a horsey friend who did all the meeting of people and checking out of homes. It was very stressful and upsetting and I spent many a day in tears. It is also why I would never leave a horse on loan again whilst in another country and have advised everyone who ever asks the question to NOT leave their horse on loan in another country. It is just too hard.

All I can hope is that you have a horsey friend who can help you with finding somewhere for her. Get them to put notices in local papers and tack shops and have their details for contact.

Good luck.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Harvjg - Yes, I know I shouldn't have. The pony has just been a bomb from the beginning having had arthritis (thus I can't sell her). I am not really willing to give her to a charity.
Duckling is sticking up notices in Frogpool today.
Sorry that it also happened to you.

_April_

Visit site
I'll do anything I can to help you A.

Nightmare!

I think you could do a lot by email to check out potential loaners -
getting their background, getting references, possibly even see the yards online.

I really don't mind checking people out for you once you find some possibilities, it's so local to me anyway.
You just need to let me know what you are looking for.

Wish I knew someone looking for a loan!! The only person I coud think of would be far too tall sadly
frown.gif

duckling

www.facebook.com
Me too - I love Alice-monster, just a shame I'm skint and heading back to uni (oh and its Monday not Sat btw
wink.gif
).
I will be back up occasionally and wouldn't mind heading back if you needed me to be there (if I can afford the petrol..)??
I will do a mass facebook to all horsey friends in the area and see what we can find although have text all up the yard and so far no joy...

Medley - at your yard is there a noticeboard we could whack an advert up on?? And I'll see if I can nab pony to come for a hack with you before I go!!

_April_

Visit site
Yep definitely, just email it to me and I'll stick it up.

I went round the woods on Sunday, is a great ride
laugh.gif

I'm busy all weekend but could do tomorrow or Friday xx

Apalacia01

Visit site
Thanks guys - will see what the response from my mum is to shipping. Going to be a negative, but worth a try!
Trying to keep her where she is, unless its someone known to somebody. As she has the dodgy legs I worry if she goes somewhere, if something comes up they aren't going to know what to do, and just ring me and say 'uh, the pony is lame!'.

I am sure we can get you on Alice for one last ride ...she only has 30 days, and I am now 'Amanda the transcontinental dictator superior' so we shall see. Would be great if you could meet up, and then someone will have actually met! (Medley, one day, maybe!) At least you get to meet the Alice beast!

Apalacia01

Visit site
Duckling - you have good pony photos right? Maybe from the clear round at SL where you got the rosette? Maybe e-mail them to Yard Owner as well as they are better than what I have, and my internet is naff and takes days to upload.

_April_

Visit site
Good idea keeping her where she is - especially if YO is familiar with her.

Makes the process easier as then you are just vetting people not homes!

Have you put her on the frogpool online site? xx

Tia

Visit site
Sorry to read this. Unfortunately this is the fairly typical outcome of this situation which is why I, like Harv, always suggest either selling the horse or taking it with you. Unfortunately some people are often not as responsible for horses if they are only loaning them.

I brought 1 mare with me and sold the other 2 horses when I moved over here - I needed to have peace of mind that the horses were the full responsibility of someone.

I must say that the decision I came to, those years ago, were definitely the right ones for me. Very best of luck in finding a terrific new home for you girl and thankfully you have some people on the ground in England to oversee this.
smile.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
Thanks Tia - yes, I was worried this would happen, but sadly, she is unsellable due to bone spavin - she's sound, but wouldn't pass a vetting, so I wa stuck between a rock and a hard place!
I am still waiting for my mum to say no, but I have a few helpers around, so should all get sorted. Eventually I will get her over here.
Tia - how long was the quarantine?
Nailed - yeah, unsellable. As I said, I could sell her without a vetting and for cheap, but then I just worry that the buyers would be not the greatest. Thanks again for input. Its good to have ideas bouncing around a bit.

Tia

Visit site
Yes you are between a rock and a hard place. This was exactly how I felt with one of my horses I left behind
frown.gif
. He was, and always had been, completely sound; however he had ringbone and I was very concerned about shipping him over here; spending all that money, to then, perhaps, find that once he was here that the flight had been too taxing for him and he would become a field ornament - that was an even bigger worry than selling him. So I made the very sad decision to not bring him - it turned out wonderfully though as an amazing person came along and offered him a home for life.
smile.gif

Cloud should have been in quarantine for 15 days. She flew into New York and was then shipped to Cornell to do her quarantine, however due to the time of year we shipped her, there were no Canadian land-shipper prepared to go and collect her on Christmas Eve. Indeed there were none prepared to go and get her at all during this holiday season
frown.gif
. So I had to wait till the 4th January, (27 days later) until a shipper would go and collect her. I did pay door-to-door though so it was no extra cost for me. For ANYONE shipping horses I would always suggest door-to-door otherwise your costs could end up astronomical ... mind you they are pretty astronomical anyway; but sooo worth it.
smile.gif

duckling

www.facebook.com
Yes I do have lots of photos - will send to you. And don't worry too much if I cant get her - can do either tomorrow or Fri to hack but don't want to cause any more drama!

I reckon she'd work well with just a nice light happy hacker - shes such an angel to hack, wonder if theres anyone like that who'd like her??