Oh no ! not another worry

Finlib

Visit site
having lost our lovely old Thoroughbred aged 30 to a field accident 6 seems ago (He had a fall in the fie!d) We have problems with his elderly companion.
We got a new friend for the remaining old boy a nice arab cross aged 18 remaining old boy is 26.
They have settled in and really love each other been together 5 weeks
Went out about 10.30pm to check the horses and noticed a little bit of blood on the 26 year olds nostril thought he had just caught himself cleaned it up went to bed.I
Got up this morning blood all over his nose! Got them in cleaned him up and there is a small trickle of blood coming down his nose keeps snorting and coughing seems subdued refusing food. Temperature 37.2.
Phoned the vet who came straight out..Now a little snot with the blood.
Vet thinks sinus infection given iv antibiotics left 5_days of antibiotics.
The horse is quite miserable last night he was perky ate his tea fine.
Still some discharge Keeping the horses in today as it is killingly hot and The flies are horrendous.They are stabled in a huge airy American barn.
Will turn out overnight.
Really worried .Will be refered to local vet hospital if no improvement.
Just hoping it isn't anything awful having lost one 6 weeks ago can t face it again so soon.
He has been fine up to now no sign of any problems.

pippixox

Visit site
Hopefully it is nothing. My old boy had a bad nosebleed 2 years ago. First just noticed a little bit of blood one morning. Vet thought it may be a reaction to something and gave him an injection of some sort of steroid I think, Then, trying not to worry you but here is my story: a week later the hole side of his face swelled up so he couldn’t see out of his eye on one side, found him lying down in the field, and more bleeding. Slowly got him into barn. Ended up scoping (at home to avoid stress of move to a vets) to find sinus clear. So vet concluded it was either a brain abscess or tumour. He was eating and upright but very slow. Decided to give him 2 weeks with strong antibiotics and pain killers, but with vet knowing they may get a call sooner if it was time. Put him back out with his mates and he was very plody but happy grazing with his friends. Over two weeks the swelling reduced massively and he started to perk up. 2 years later he is still here living out his retirement. We were ready to say goodbye as it didn’t look good, but luckily it must of been an abscess.

I have no idea if I will suddenly find him one day having had a brain hemorage or a new abscess. But that’s an unknown you have to live with.

Sorry if it is a bit of a scary story- but basically even if it gets even worse like it did with my boy, it may not be the end at all.

Finlib

Visit site
Nosebleed increased and to both nostrils horse depressed not eating.Vet out again first thing .Endoscope reveals nasal tumour . He was pts at home in the shade of the trees in his field.
He was 26 had controlled Cushings for 3 years and had given us 18 years of joy.A lovely Anglo arab real sweetie affectionate and easy to do . Bless you Chester now running free re united with your field mate Ash who died 6 weeks ago aged 30 after a falll in he field.
Two lost in 6 weeks even though they were elderly it still huts!

SEL

Visit site
oh no so sorry - going to leave a big hole in your life xx They were lucky to have a human who cared so much to give them years of happiness xx

Reacher

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss, it's especially hard when you've had them a long time. You gave them both a good life

Finlib

Visit site
It's what happens when you allow your horses to retire at home when they get elderly You end up having to make the decision to pts when their quality of life becomes compromised.
They give you years of happiness and joy but break your heart when they go.

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm so very sorry OP. He must have had a charmed life being so well loved and cared for to the end. x

mytwofriends

Visit site
So very sorry. Oldies leave an extra special hoofprint on our souls. Yours will be together again now.

Look after yourself.

AandK

Visit site
So sorry OP, he is back with his friend running free. I have a 21 and 28yo and (owned for 16 and 21yrs respectively) and I dread 'that' day, which I know is getting closer and closer...