OK.. Farriers.. and... Galloping.

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Right, moved yards on monday, move went really well, it seems my old YO spited us moving by not getting our gelding shod when the farrier came a week before, we now have a new farrier booked for this wednesday, however, a horse at our yard has been shod recently by him and has had to be done AGAIN this week! thats only 4 weeks inbetween! I would have a word with the farrier.. but i am currently on the train to Kings X then on my hols for a week, going to get my brother to have a word with him, but i dont know if he knows a good shoe when he see's one.. what should i do? just trust the farriers judgement?

Also.. Galloping.. Had my first "proper" gallop today, was great fun.. been riding 4 years and have not been allowed at my old yard... well.. at least i can do what i like here
laugh.gif

S
laugh.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My horse is currently only going 4 weeks between shoeing because of the amount of work he is doing. It's nothing to do with the quality of the shoeing (it is excellent), but about the wear on the shoes (ie. they are worn out after 4 weeks due to the amount of road work I do).

So I would trust your farriers judgement - but expect him to suggest 5 weeks in the first instance. I would also be speaking to him myself, and ensuring I was there the first time he shod my horse.

TGM

Visit site
Different horses go different lengths of time between shoeings. If a horse does a lot of roadwork it might easily need to be shod at four week intervals - in fact the general rule of thumb is that most horses need to be shod every four to six weeks, so I don't see why you are automatically assuming there is something wrong with the farrier?
confused.gif

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Well, she has used him before, and his shoes lasted 6 weeks, then the last few he has lasted 4, she has actually reduced the work as she has been on her honeymoon, just a bit confuzzled really.

S

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's also summer (apparently) and horses hooves do grow quicker at this time of year.

Any way a quick chat with him and you will be able to see what he suggests for your horse.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
okie dokie thanks, also, should i mention to him i want my horses clenches straight as poss, as the shoes ive seen have clenches all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I would just let him get with the job, and see how it goes.

Maisy

Visit site
Why does the horse need doing again? Has it lost a shoe, or do his feet look overgrown or something??

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Well, its pastern line isnt fitting with the length of toe he left on, he has left far too much on, about 2 inches more.. so it has affected the horses gait, he has also lost a shoe on his off hind hoof.

BeckyD

Visit site
My horse only goes 4 weeks, and often has one loose one after 3 weeks. farrier very competent but Ronnie's feet grow very quickly (especially at this time of year).

As for the clenches being in a stright line, no I wouldn't mention it. I'm sure he shoes the horses as individuals rather than as identikit versions. He will put the nails into the best bit likely to hold them - at this time of year that needn't be in a straight line due to cracking/crumbling horn.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and see how you get on. Insulting him (in his eyes!) before he starts shoeing your horse probably not the best way forwards
wink.gif

Good luck at new yard!

carys220

Visit site
Chunklovescooks, if your farrier turns out to be good could you let me have his number? My horses are up near Bingley and my farrier is shockingly unreliable and it's been impossible to find another one, feel a bit embarrassed as my NF has a big chunk out of one of her hooves(they grow v. fast anyway).

Knowing my luck though it'll be the same farrier!!!