Ok folks....the wait is over (hopefully..!!)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm saving every last penny I have. I'm trying not to rush but unfortunately I don't have tons of spare cash to save. I'm still paying my field rent as per my contract and saving everything else. Realistically 3k is the most I'm going to have and that's just taken a dent if I dont get my deposit back. I had enough separately for a vetting and transport so will now have to replace the vetting money. I realise that it would be naive to think the first horse would pass etc but I can only do what I'm doing :(

Remi'sMum

Visit site
So sorry SLH, you must be gutted. I totally feel your pain - it took me 6 months, 33 horses viewed and 3 failed vettings to find my boy. I’m so glad you’ve gone with your gut feeling though. Sending hugs xxx

siennamiller

Visit site
Really sorry about that SLH.
As I’ve already said on a previous post, you can find what you’re looking for. My mare was less than half your budget, a bit of reschooling, and we did bs up to 1m, Be80, and hunger trials up to 1m.
She was utterly bombproof out hacking, and a lovely person too.

Hollychops

Visit site
So sorry it didnt work out. I lost my mare to ataxia and it was heart wrenching to see her go from an active horse to one that some days would stand on her own hooves and hit the wall as she walked round the box. You did the right thing in walking away.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I love her and if my life wasnt such a mess right now I'd have been on the phone about her. A quick google shows her out doing everything the ad claims and at 1k I'd take a punt

Reactions: TPO

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The Suffolk will need careful weight management in summer, a large stable, an insane amount of hay in winter and a set of shoes will be £150 every 5 weeks. The fencing will need to be excellent too, a draft horse on a diet has scant regard for fencing. The advert also clearly states not a novice ride. There are many variables in the meaning of that !

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am being realistic- once upon a time you could have gone to Southall market and take a risk and get a lovely horse. Things have changed. Could you not save up and wait so you can have at least a bit more chance of finding a safe horse. Buying a horse is a lottery.

Since the vet who did the vetting has told OP that he sees plenty of sound horses fit tfor the purpose that she requires for her budget, I should imagine that she will find one before too long. You have to know where to look.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The Suffolk will need careful weight management in summer, a large stable, an insane amount of hay in winter and a set of shoes will be £150 every 5 weeks. The fencing will need to be excellent too, a draft horse on a diet has scant regard for fencing. The advert also clearly states not a novice ride. There are many variables in the meaning of that !

She was bought as a 3yr old by and has been ridden by a novice husband, so I wouldnt be too worried about that ;)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I have had 2 Clydesdales, a Shire and a Westphalian Kaltblut, they have all respected electric fencing as much as any other horse, in fact the cob is more of a pain because she knows that her mane will insulate her from it. Admittedly anything that they can rub on needs to be very sturdy, we have a special heavy duty stable. None of them needed any special feeding except the Westphalian who was obese when I bought her, I fed her on plain oat straw chaff until she reached the weight I wanted. I certainly have never paid £150 for a set of shoes and none of them was ever shod more frequently than every 6 weeks, 3 of them went barefoot, 2 of them had never worn shoes.
I agree that not novice ride can mean a lot of different things, it could just be that she is very strong but equally if something that size starts to perform airs above the ground freestyle, you would know about it.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site

My Suffolk is fine in a normal size stable and despite a grazing muzzle, still respects electric fences. He has occasionally made regular fencing a little less secure when reaching to be fussed by a small child. I'm in Cheshire so farriers are expensive, £70 for fronts every 6 to 8 weeks (8 in winter, 6 in summer). Many Suffolks are barefoot but mine is a bit sensitive. He does need more hay because he's bigger. He's also very intelligent and escapes his stable for fun by undoing all of the bolts.

The only downside is that you will need to consider putting her in foal. With less than 100 breeding females worldwide you can't ignore it.

Oh, and the amazing community of other Suffolk owners.

So sorry OP but I agree, you're right to go with your gut. I'm not sure how far you can travel but there's a dealer called Right Rides which I think is North Wales. A lot of friends have bought very good horses from them, in your budget.

Last edited:

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Cng have a big shire in at the mo. You probably know already! She's advertised at £4k but worth asking if there's a deal to be done.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
This, depending on what the no novices comment means. Closer to home too.

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_062320.jpg
    IMG_20190517_062320.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 65

Orchard14

Visit site
I have no idea what your requirements are but I have fallen for that Suffolk mare she sounds and looks magnificent. Suffolks are so, so rare I imagine it would be really special to have one. But I totally agree with OrangeandLemon, I wonder what happened with her foaling and why they wouldn't sell her as a broodmare but it almost seems like a national responsibility to put Suffolk mares in foal because there are so few of them going around.

Bernster

Visit site
Sorry to read that SLH but with most of hho behind you and scouting for something, I reckon you’ll find one soon enough!

I’d def contact janetgeorge if you haven’t already - getting a horse from someone you ‘know’ would I think give you much more peace of mind.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Sorry she failed the vetting SLH and I agree you are right to walk away. Good luck with the future search, we're all here with you!! The right one is out there... 🤞

conniegirl

Visit site
I am being realistic- once upon a time you could have gone to Southall market and take a risk and get a lovely horse. Things have changed. Could you not save up and wait so you can have at least a bit more chance of finding a safe horse. Buying a horse is a lottery.
No you are not, you are being condescending and rude.

OP can get what she wants in her budget, you don't need £6k+ to buy a big safe happy hacker without neurological issues.

be positive

Visit site
No you are not, you are being condescending and rude.

OP can get what she wants in her budget, you don't need £6k+ to buy a big safe happy hacker without neurological issues.

It will probably just take a bit longer to find, require the OP to be really on the ball with looking through and weeding out the ads once you read between the lines, it may possibly mean a few vet failures along the way but it will be out there, buying any horse at any price is a lottery in my experience.

Floxie

Visit site
Horsequest ad 208932 looks like a nice horse for you SLH: http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/208932
I rather like him! I think I'd buy something like this after I win the lottery, though, then I can pay someone else to keep him white ;)

Ooooh she is lovely!