Ok, give me some of your wisdom

mikh

Visit site
Little bit of background.

I have a 9yo, cobby type. He's generally well behaved boy. Out hacking he'll quite happily go at the back, at the front he will but walks at a snails pace - very suspicious!

I've never been hunting, only started riding 3 years ago, I'm a bit of a wary rider, but am trying to better my boy day by day (in other words I do things that I don't necessarily want to do lol) he's an irish cob so possibly has but I don't know for sure.

So anyway, there is a local meet with Southdown and Eridge about 0.5 miles away from my yard...

Would it be good to take him to the meet??? Just to soak up the atmosphere, stand around have a drink and a nibble?

Or would that be unfair and teasing him? (I didn't know how to word it :p) I would be going with another girl on the yard, so when we turned away from the meet which I would do before they set off, he'd have company to hack back to the yard. We'd prob have someone on foot in case horses got silly.

Is this a good idea? Would obv seek approval from hunt sec and be willing to make a contribution. But with it so near, I think it may be a good opportunity to let him suss the hunt and me potentially suss his behaviour?

Yey's or Neigh's welcome. Especially if there are some Southdown and Eridge people out there. Honest opinions welcome.

camilla4

Visit site
Sounds very sensible to me, Totup - especially as you won't be hacking him back alone. It's always a good idea to see how any individual horse will react to hounds - not always easy to predict. Take him along, see how he is, and then you can start thinking about cubbing next season.

humph

Visit site
I think it sounds a great idea, can't see anything wrong with it. Also, if he's good and you enjoy it, i see no reason to wait until next season to come out hunting. Obviously don't push your nerve too much because that's how to lose it but you could ask the sec when a nice quiet day is likely to be and take him out then without needing to wait for autumn hunting next season.

Have fun

mikh

Visit site
You know, I think I will, what's the worst that can happen? I end up walking him back.... ah well!!!

Thanks guys, any other tips, should I email hunt sec or would it be more courteous to phone?

rangerover

Visit site
Ring her, introduce yourself, explain what you would like to go and check which way they are leaving from the meet so that you don't inadvertently get caught up with them on their way out. Some packs will let you do this for nothing or at a reduced cap if you are onlyh going to the meet. Good luck.

camilla4

Visit site
Exactly as above and it would be courteous to ensure you seek out the Secretary at the meet to introduce yourself.

Have fun!!

mikh

Visit site
Ok, thanks everyone. Off to read all the sticks and have a browse through this forum. I'm sure there will be lots of beneficial advice.