Ok, I think I must be totally mad!

sammys ma

Visit site
Because...

I have decided to enter a mini One Day Event!!!!
blush.gif
ooo.gif

And....it's in 2 weeks time!!!!

I was having a glass of wine( or 3
wink.gif
) with friend from the yard the other night, and she is entering it, and persuaded me to enter too!!!!

I know it may seem like a silly, easypeasy, teenyweeny, simple thing to some of you pro's out there
wink.gif
(and i don't mean that in a bad way!).....but this is a MAJOR step for me!!

so, it consists of a Prelim Dressage Test, Showjumping 1'9" - 2'. and X-country 1'6: - 1'9".

So, on one had , I am ridiculously excited, and on the other, I am TOTALLY cr*pping myself!!

I haven't competed on the Bob atall yet, as have only had him just over a year, and didn't feel ready last year apart from In-hand showing. However, over the last few months, I have been having LOADS of flat lessons, and recently more jumping lessons. We also hack out a lot, and i've done quite a lot of cantering and a couple of gallops with him. I've also been over some ditches and jumped some weeny logs/branches on the trails.

His fitness isn't a problem, though mine may be!!....Whenever i jump my adrenaline rushes, and my heart beats about a million beats a minute.
I also know that Bob is MORE than capable of doing this, as KatB is his previous owner and has hunted, X-countried him and you name it over far bigger obstacles.

I guess i am just pertified of doing really badly, making a TOTAL a*rse of myself, and obviously of doing myself an injury!

I'm not doing it for competitive reasons, but to get out there and have fun!
I really want to enjoy it, and not scare myself silly and end up on the floor!

I am going to Ely Eventing Centre with my instructor next Friday, so will tackle some of the smaller jumps. Also aim to practice the dressage test in preparation.

so any advice/tips etc or anything else atall you have would be FAB!!!!!!

ooo.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

harvgj19

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not doing it for competitive reasons, but to get out there and have fun!
I really want to enjoy it, and not scare myself silly and end up on the floor!

[/ QUOTE ]

You just need to remember this! You are going to have fun, and from the sounds of things you are both totally capable of it! I think getting out and doing some practice XC jumps sounds like a great idea as well.

Just enjoy yourself!!!
grin.gif

LouHardwick

Visit site
I have a lot of respect for you! I too hope that I will do a ODE. just the nerves have stopped me with other horses.Silly really I teamchased regulaury as a teenager but lost the bottle to do it as I got a bit older (im only 24) However I will try next year when my baby is 5.
Good luck and i hope you are proud of pushing yourself to go and do it!!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
Oh the things you agree to after a few glasses of wine
blush.gif

Can't offer any advice but all I can say is good luck and enjoy yourself! I am hoping to get the confidence to just go to a local show this summer. I've only had two lessons in the last two years so really need to sort that out - and will probably show in-hand the first few times..

But go for it! Sounds like you could do it easy peasy - perhaps a swig from the flask before you start - certainly helped me first time hunting
smirk.gif

lennysmith

Visit site
Wow! Weldone you. I know what it's like having that mental thing of 'can I? Cant I?' when you know deep down you'll be great!

Have a fab time and ENJOY!!! I'll be waiting for the 'I had the amazing day' post
grin.gif
xxxx

4whitesocks

Visit site
wooo hoooo

brilliant to hear - I did my first 'proper' comp ever on Sid two weeks ago (Advanced primary riding club - 80cms SJ) and we won - have to say for a complete chicken sh*t it was a huge high!!

Now doing a hunter trials next weekend and am totally pooing my pants!! (if you'll pardon my crudeness!)

You will totally enjoy it - even if it is really scarey but just think how proud you'll be of both of you when you finish!!! And to be honest - who cares if you make an *rse of yourself...it's not like anyone, really, is going to say 'oh my they weren't very good were they' - at the heights you are doing you'll find that there are a lot of people in exactly the same boat who are actually really supportive (well that's what I find with Riding Club anyway)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Clodagh

Visit site
Good luck! Enjoy! I hope to get brave enough to do something this summer too!
cool.gif
I hunt but thats different, no-one is looking at you then, have a great time!
smile.gif

M_G

Visit site
WOW well done you Bob will look after you and you will have a great time gosh I am a bit nervous for you though you are doing what I would like to try but dont have the balls for it

Go Girl
xxx

sammys ma

Visit site
thanks everyone for your kind comments and support...I REALLY appreciate it!

I will keep you posted and have a full report afterwards, if i'm still alive!
grin.gif

( touching everything wooden in my vicinity!)

I'll try and nominate a photographer too...should make "interesting viewing "
blush.gif
grin.gif

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Go for it - I did my first ODE aged 44 on my daughter's nutty 13.3 Welsh Cob. We both loved it even though our combined ages were well over 60!

Daughter is competing at EEC on Sunday. I was there last Friday for my 45th birthday treat, have hardly jumped since May last year and thought I'd nick my horse back for the afternoon and have a quick blast round the jumps! Excellent fun but did highlight just how out of practice I am.