Ok, it’s got to be done! The nickname thread (including cats!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Brig was Briglamo, Brig pants, the big dog.

Zak was the naughty one, Zakamo, the dragon (hoarding tendencies) mostly puss cat due to his hilarious pouncing on toys.

Bear is Bear cub, I am Groot, you big lump, puppy, mummy’s boy (gets off the OH is my lap becomes available, doesn’t bother to get up if the OH goes downstairs and he’s having cuddles with me) Also now the big dog, of course.

Mitch has surpringly few nicknames, as yet. Mitchy-moo, the squeaker, the naughty one.

Goose is the Flea (he pings up onto your knee), Punk (unruly quiff going on currently) and Squidgepot. The latter is when he’s being super cuddly or being a boneless heap on the floor because omg, we’re leaving the house, but is perfectly fine once over the threshold.

I would love to hear the nicknames you have for your dogs!

Last edited:

fiwen30

Visit site
Dog gets sweetie, honey, darling, sugar, big lad, Roland, Roganiel, Roganathan - guess which are my names for him, and which are partner’s!

Young cat gets baby boy, babba, little one, monster, monstergue, monster goose, goose, monster glue, glue bag, moo, Monty moo, moose.

Older cat gets baby girl, miss miss, mish mish, sweet cat, loaf, loafer.

Remarkable that any of them actually know their names, given that they’re rarely called by them!

P3LH

Visit site
The tank is never called that as a call name, but Sherman tank is a point of reference about her and always has been since she marched in at ten weeks as if she owned the place. Her name is actually Ginny, which she never goes by and is exclusively always Gin. Embarrassingly she is called and answers to, ‘Pig’, equal to gin too. When she was small she was rather guinea-pig like, or Ginny pig like that should be. I am often guilty of forgetting where we are and bellowing ‘Oi Pig’ at the top of my voice to some mixed responses.

Hunter has always been H. It graduated to dear old H when he outgrew his youth.

Young Gus can’t really be called anything else. Which is a first as come to think of it all our dogs have seldom ever gone by the name given but some sort of variation, or completely unrelated and ambiguous alter ego. Maybe we’re just a weird family. One of the terriers years ago was Florrie who was never called that but flo, which was generally substituted for Dodo in her youth (due to the fact she was determined to make herself extinct), snd grey face as an elderly lady for obvious reasons.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Dog: Lexi (real name), Beak, Beaker, Dog, Boom, Leximer, LexisNexis, Labradoré.

The Beak/Beaker came from her being "beaky" because she's a piggy little Lab. The Boom cannot be explained ?

Cat: Adopted name Boots otherwise referred to as Mustard or Senf (Mustard in German).

Petalpoos

Visit site
Diva (curly coat retriever) was always called Spoodle as she looked like a cross between a spaniel and a poodle when she was a puppy, long before cross breeds were a thing. The next CCR ended up being called Mini, for Mini Div, like MiniMe.

The next one, who overlapped with Mini, was called Spoodle. The collective noun for the pair of them became the BBTs, for ‘big black things’ as that is what they looked like in photos.

My current CCR is called BB, short for BBT. AKA ‘Weasel’, so I guess that’s the next one’s name sorted out.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Diva (curly coat retriever) was always called Spoodle as she looked like a cross between a spaniel and a poodle when she was a puppy, long before cross breeds were a thing. The next CCR ended up being called Mini, for Mini Div, like MiniMe.

The next one, who overlapped with Mini, was called Spoodle. The collective noun for the pair of them became the BBTs, for ‘big black things’ as that is what they looked like in photos.

My current CCR is called BB, short for BBT. AKA ‘Weasel’, so I guess that’s the next one’s name sorted out.

Don’t think we have seen photos? I haven’t ever seen a curly coated retriever in real life.

Karran

Visit site
The spaniel is - Mrs Spaniel, Spanieldog, SpanielFace, Idiot and Furry Fool, Bestest Spaniel.

Mrs Collie gets- Colliedog, delinquent yob. Brat. Feral idiot. Knobhead. Both occasionally get called puppydog. ?‍♀️

My tortoise is called Geronimo and regularly gets referred to as "G" or "The Big G"

Last edited:

Petalpoos

Visit site
Don’t think we have seen photos? I haven’t ever seen a curly coated retriever in real life.
You haven’t lived! They are very rare though, so I am not surprised. I always get told she’s a labradoodle. It’s a pity as CCRs are lovely dogs, but everyone seems to want a dog with a cute name. Their coat stays that length, so no costly trimming!74B5E9A7-DDEF-4C72-9D96-1F8A2C301B4B.jpegEF9B00DE-FDEC-4370-8B3A-FC188AF3292D.jpeg

P3LH

Visit site
You haven’t lived! They are very rare though, so I am not surprised. I always get told she’s a labradoodle. It’s a pity as CCRs are lovely dogs, but everyone seems to want a dog with a cute name. Their coat stays that length, so no costly trimming!View attachment 90608View attachment 90606
Always think they’re one of the most noble looking of the gun dogs.

Nasicus

Visit site
You haven’t lived! They are very rare though, so I am not surprised. I always get told she’s a labradoodle. It’s a pity as CCRs are lovely dogs, but everyone seems to want a dog with a cute name. Their coat stays that length, so no costly trimming!View attachment 90608View attachment 90606
Oooh, see I like that! Curly coat but smooth, visible face!

EventingMum

Visit site
Blair the cat ( he was named after the horse trials as was his sister Burgie) is always called Bear or Bearbear.

Hector the terrier is Heckbeck, Heccy or Heccybear.
Herbie the JRT is Herbs or Herbals.
Hobson the JRT puppy is usually Hobby but does get called Hobnob, Nobbynoo, or Nobnob.
All pretty ridiculous when you right them down!