Ok, young pony, backed in the summer............

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
.........ridden after 3 wk layoff due to the weather, acts the arse and broncs after 5 mins of ridden 'work' (term used loosely as was just being walked round). Rider sat the broncing very well and carried on in walk for another 5 mins(albeit on the lunge as rider(my daughter) didn't trust pony not to react so violently again). Rider dismounts, I lunge pony to gauge it's reaction without a rider and the same happens....as soon as asked to go forwards we got broncing, squealing, kicking out.

Facts:-

Pony has got fat after doing virtually nothing since beginning of December.(my fault, not his)
Saddle WAS a good fit and pony was happily working well before the layoff(see below)
Pony did not look lame....not unlevel....just resistant.
I didn't push the issue, should I have done?

4273908000_a2c517f6e9.jpg

As his past behaviour has been virtually without reproach(was hacking out well and working well when 'schooled'(again we're talking concentrating on getting him going forwards off the leg etc, not marathon schooling sessions) I'm assuming that he's probably hurt himself in the field during the bad weather(lives out 24/7).

Thoughts?
smile.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Sometimes they are just naughty you know !!

I think he's just growing up & pushing the boundries........just to see how far he can push things.

Go back to the baby treatment for a while. Lunge him in well, then you get on before daughter.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Lots of them have been behaving like this after the enforced layoff, Lluna, normally a saint, was exactly the same, I just lunged her till the beans were gone (well almost gone) and then got on, she was still a little hot and spooky but minus the broncs.

So I would have done exactly the same as you, it's just him being a fresh baby imho.

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
I agree with Sirena. I posted on here after my first ride saying I felt a re-backing was on the cards, however he's now back to being a saint. Just full of beans after the time off, and being ridden is SO exciting, don't ya know?
wink.gif

I'd get him back on the lunge/under saddle again asap so that he knows his behaviour has been ignored.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Lol, thanks guys, he just took me by surprise!
blush.gif
Wasn't expecting him to be such a plonker and ofcourse thought my baby had hurt himself
blush.gif
blush.gif

I'll go back a few steps and stop being such a pushover!!

cindydog

Visit site
my horse not been ridden for while and will be lunging first and I know to expect this and just hope I can hold on until she settles as all I ask for is a walk and she does the rodeo bit first..she is a lot better if saddle and side reins on.
grin.gif

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
You say he's got fat due to the lay off and his saddle WAS a good fit.

Do you think the saddle may be a bit too snug and maybe pinching him? Once he's back in work properly he will slim down again and saddle will fit properly again

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if resistant, check for wolf teeth just cutting or blind wolf teeth.
how old? could also still be cutting adult teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's rising 4
smile.gif
He's due the dentist end of feb.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Do you think the saddle may be a bit too snug and maybe pinching him? Once he's back in work properly he will slim down again and saddle will fit properly again

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only other thing I could come up with
smile.gif

annret

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only other thing I could come up with
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to do a bit of longreining?

Also, think you handled it perfectly - rider sat the broncs, you achieved what you wanted & ended the session!

He'll hopefully be back to normal soon.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Thanks guys for your thoughts, they're much appreciated
smile.gif

I'll be bringing him back into work slowly I think, probably expected too much of him and should have expected some sort of explosion(and boy did we get that!)
I'll probably lunge/longrein for a couple of weeks before getting back onboard myself. Daughter is a good little rider, but doesn't like to 'have it out' with her mount, so maybe he picked up on her reluctance?

Anyway, again, thanks for your opinions
smile.gif