Okay, so who's hoovered a horse?

FionaM12

Visit site
When I saw Martin Clunes vacuuming that Clydesdale the other night, it made me smile. I once did just the same with my lovely old lad Bamber, some 40 years ago. :eek:

It was spring, his coat was shedding in handfuls, clogging the rubber curry and playing havoc with my asthma. So I had a bright idea. I connected up the cylinder Electrolux and set to work. :D Typical of Bamber, he didn't bat an eyelid and acted like it was all in a normal day. :D

Sadly I have to report the 1970's Electrolux was not very effective and didn't shift much loose coat. :( Perhaps it didn't have enough suction but I was disappointed.

I hate to imagine what Mollie's reaction would be if I tried anything like this with her. :rolleyes:

So, anyone else ever done this or tried other eccentric grooming methods? The mud being as it is this year, going through a car wash might be appropriate? :D

Amaranta

Visit site
Me! Not for ages though, I have a little handheld thing which is a proper horse vacuum apparently, was next to useless but good for getting them used to clippers etc. They actually really love being 'hoovered', I really wanted a Flextol because they are brilliant for getting moulting hair off.

Korwa

Visit site
done it with cats and dogs. they even have items on the market with kind of a vacuum attatched specifically for that. i guess if you can do it with a horse without gettin kicked, same theory! lol, i'd give it a go on an easy going horse.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
They were around in the late '70s & were a 'big thing' as I recall.
I know a local top-notch livery yard did have a horse groomer (mechanical hoover) as it was the talk of Pony Club then :D

Never done it myself at the yard as its too much of a faff to get the generator out (we dont have electric there)

JillA

Visit site
I have a small Dandyvac type that I bought off ebay to get him used to noise before I clipped him. It couldn't suck its way out of a paper bag but it does remove some dust. A good one is really good for the skin, it kind of gives it a massage as it sucks and releases, I knew someone who used it on show ponies and their coats gleamed.
The proper ones are best because they do have the fitted brush, a good long hose and are carried on a strap on your shoulder - I am paranoid about horses treading on electrical stuff

pizzi

Visit site
I've used two different horse groomer things. The first was donkeys years ago - the attachment brush spun round at the end of a short pole, great until you caught hold of the mane and tail , and it spun them around the brush! :D Also you got covered in hair and dust but it was really effective.
The other was a suction horse groomer, was great for nervous horses - getting them used to noise etc. Would love one now. Have used the Dyson on the dog.Wonder if Harry horse would stand for it.....?:rolleyes:

Ladyinred

Visit site
I've used two different horse groomer things. The first was donkeys years ago - the attachment brush spun round at the end of a short pole, great until you caught hold of the mane and tail , and it spun them around the brush! :D Also you got covered in hair and dust but it was really effective.
The other was a suction horse groomer, was great for nervous horses - getting them used to noise etc. Would love one now. Have used the Dyson on the dog.Wonder if Harry horse would stand for it.....?:rolleyes:

I used the revolving brush type years ago, on a stallion the week before the annual Stonleeigh stallion parade. And I caught his tail! It took me literally hours to free it without losing hair.. boss kept coming by and making worse and worse threats as to what he would do to me :rolleyes:

I stuck to the suction ones after that!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No, but I have blow dried a horse (good for warming a cold back too.) Not sure that my hoover would like handfuls of hair in its filter but like others, hoover cats and dogs who love it.

For getting a young horse prepared for clipping, using a £10 hand held electric massager is quite useful. They soon realise that the vibration and noise means something very relaxing.

pizzi

Visit site
I used the revolving brush type years ago, on a stallion the week before the annual Stonleeigh stallion parade. And I caught his tail! It took me literally hours to free it without losing hair.. boss kept coming by and making worse and worse threats as to what he would do to me :rolleyes:

Yep, wasn't so labour saving when this happened:D

Janah

Visit site
Often vaced (is that a real word) my labradors, they love it. It is either that or have them chasing said vac round room. Makes cleaning the house fun.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
There is a sweet video on YouTube called "Foal getting vacuumed for the first time." He just stands there, untied, without a care in the world.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Erm, I have :eek: used to do dares on my old lad - photo is from many years ago in my reckless phase where I didn't think a hat was important...

29334_512914061737_2036609_n.jpg

dafthoss

Visit site
^^ J is just a legend!!!

I havnt hoovered YP, he's clipped out completly so not much to moult when the time comes :cool:D:. Do remember a few years ago seeing a company advertising them cant remember who now though.

caseycat

Visit site
I've used one of those whirly round giant hairbrush things too, it was back in the 80's at an evening yard. It was an awful thing to use absolutely covered you in dust and hair, and yes i also managed to get it tangled in tails and spend ages trying to remove it. Horses didn't seem to mind the noise and it must have done a good massage.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Lol, I only did that once! After that it was quicker to bung a tail bandage on and off when I'd finished. Fantastic Flextol but it did make you a bit lazy; it was a bit of a shock to have to strap manually after that. :D

GeorgieRoo

Visit site
Yes, I've hoovered a horse, literally with a henry the Hoover! It was when I helped at a vets & they used it after clipping an area before operating to get rid of all loose hairs. The horse was already knocked out I should add, wouldn't fancy attempting it on an awake horse!

Tilda

Visit site
I have always hoovered my german shepherds as they moult practically year round! I also Hoover my saddle cloths before they go in the washing machine and the washing machine after! Max is terrified of the clippers so I can't see him being too fond of the Hoover sadly.