Old dog need advice if to pts - long post not sure what to do

lilly1

Visit site
I’m struggling to make a decision about my dog and need some advice. He’s started to urinate in the house and his blood test today is showing high glucose levels. Vet thinks may be stressed related (caused by pain ) but most likely he is diabetic. They want to run another blood test to confirm the diabetes and start insulin shots x 2 daily. His bloods showed up a couple of other abnormalities (not sure what) so they have recommended an ultrasound as well.

The thing is he is 14ish, has a stage 3 heart murmur, poor sight and has pretty severe arthritis in his limbs. He takes two separate types of medication for his legs which helps but not greatly.

Gnasher seems to have been ‘old’ forever and if he was human he would have bought a mobility scooter and moved to Spain years ago. The last 12 months however I have saw a decline and the last 6 months more so. He’s been to the vets several times this year with a skin infection which would just not go although we seem to have won the battle on that one for now.

He sleeps a lot and sometimes only a Jaffa Cake will tempt him up. Most of his enjoyment comes from eating, sniffing and peeing. He still enjoys his walks although his idea of a walk these days is going out in the car with the window down. He can still get on the sofa (just) and always gets up to great me wagging his tail but he looks tired to me in body and spirit.

What to do? My heart tells me it is time to let him go while he still has some quality of life. Equally I do not want to end it prematurely. The vet said if he was her dog she would go with the insulin but this will mean frequent trips to the vet and possibly several months to get the right dose. In all honesty I don’t think he has many months left although in fairness he probably could go on for a while as he is one tough cookie but is it fair? It will also cost £’s on top of the £££ already paid out to date.

If only he could talk. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I can only advise you what I would do under these circumstances, if he was my dog given his age I would call it a day, further tests is only going to stress him further and so I would choose a day, book the vet to come to the house and would spoil him rotten prior to this. As far as Im concerned quality of life is everything and it is one of the hardest decision we have to make, we owe it to them as owners to do the right thing. Hugs to you through this difficult time.

Cas1979

Visit site
I asked the same question around May time when my GSD was getting worse with CDRM, only difference is that he was only 8 years old, whilst your boy is 14 and based on your post he's had a happy life.

Luckily Joey told me 1 day when getting back from a stroll in the park, collapsed on the floor and struggled to get up, his face when trying to stand up was telling me that he'd had enough.... He was having wees in the house and wouldn't do much apart from sleep.

I'm sure you'll take the right decision, you sound a good kind pet owner and we will think of you xx

Jesstickle

Visit site
I can only tell you what we did. When my old boy started messing in the house we called it quits. He had been scrupulously clean since a puppy, was getting extremely stiff, he was deaf and going bind with cataracts. It just didn't seem right to keep taking him back and forth to the vet even though he still enjoyed food and walks, but that is what he needed to see what was going on so the vet came and PTS in front of the fire for us.

He is greatly missed but I think we all take comfort from the fact he didn't face an undignified, painful end. That was what we did.

I'm so sorry you are faing this decision. It is so heart breaking.

Bedlam

Visit site
It's all very well for anyone else to say what they think and what they did with their dog, but thi is you with your dog. Only you really know.

I let my beloved 16yr old pointer go earlier this year. I had made the appointment for the vet to come to the house 3 months previously but cancelled the morning he was due to come because she rallied and was actually really bright and happy that morning and it didn't seem right. 3 months later and the time was right and I just knew it was right - no questions on forums necessary.

If you're asking the question of strangers on a forum I suspect it's not quite time........but it nearly is and you will know. x

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't have an answer for you but ATM I a in bed with my old pal beside me I ask my self the question every morning is today I have let him go am I keeping going for me not him it's so so hard no answers only empathy for you .

Moomin1

Visit site
It is your choice. Though I must say that if he was mine, I would be considering pts at this point.

Can I just say, I don't mean this to sound harsh, though it will, please don't give any dog's jaffa cakes. Chocolate is highly poisonous to them.

I really hope that you are comfortable in whatever decision you make, and that you are able to spend your last bit of time together knowing that you are doing the right thing. By the sounds of it, I think you WILL know in your heart of hearts that you are.

lilly1

Visit site
It’s so hard as he is happy, relatively but I’ve noticed subtle changes which break my heart. He’s always followed me everywhere but these days he’s clingier then ever. He’s taken to standing between my legs even when I’m bushing my teeth!

Some weeks ago I was at the vets with him for a different matter and another dog wanted to come over to say hello to him. I said that was fine but when she came up to him he peed himself. I can only assume he was scared because he can’t see very well and felt vulnerable. Of course I felt awful for putting him in that position but at one time he would have loved the friendly advances of a young female.

He’s not really interested in toys anymore but can be spurred into half-hearted playing provided he can do this from wherever he is lying.

I think he is in pain with his legs. When he gets down he sort of collapses and will groan sometimes when doing this. He can still get upstairs though. He’s stubborn and will find a way to get to where he wants to go. He is so lovely natured. He never ever grumbles and puts up with his lot much better then my other dog who screams her head off at the slightest thing!

My other dog snaps at him if he bumps into her which makes him cry.

Gnasher doesn’t show anxiety outwardly instead he seems to retreat into himself and I think that’s what is happening now.....yet he lights up at the prospect of a walk or biscuit

Alec Swan

Visit site
lilly1,

having read your last post, I strongly suspect that you know, or should know the answer. This isn't a lecture, but the time is now for you to face up to putting the dog's well being, before your own sadness.

I always work on the basis that I put my dogs down whilst I have the choice, and before I have no choice, and I'd suggest that for you, the tip over point has now arrived.

It isn't easy, we know that, and often the right responses aren't. It's afterwards that we realise that we've done the right thing.

Alec.

Cas1979

Visit site
Lilly I totally agree with Alec.

I kept telling people pretty similar stuff about my dog, I'd say 1 of the so many things that was wrong with him followed by ...but he is eating and enjoy a game with his toys.... Other bad thing followed by a good thing, it got to a point when bad things outnumbered good things.
He was losing his dignity cos his weeing in the house which he never did and soon would have been poo cos he struggled to get up. The huge difference is that with CDRM dogs aren't in pain cos the nerves are dying so makes it even harder cos my dog wasn't in any discomfort.

I think you will know, and by reading your last post, you know, just scared to make the decision. Perhaps your vet can help and guide you??

But you need to put your feelings to a side and think what is best for your boy, is he really enjoying life with the problems he has??

lilly1

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I do know what is right for him and have brought this up with the vets however they do not support by decision which has made it all the more harder.

Anyway I have taken him to see a different vet today and he agrees with me which I think is what I needed. He said he is blind in one eye and has the beginnings of a cataract in the other. Even if we manage to stabilise his insulin levels he is likely to lose his remaining vision. This could be in two weeks or months away. He feels he is not suffering as such at the moment but it is inevitable that he will continue to go down hill. His heart and mind are strong but his body is failing him. He is not ketotic at the moment but will be in days without insulin. I've brought him home and have taken the rest of the day of work. I'm going to spoil him rotten and have him pts in the car tomorrow as he still likes going out.

The balance is tipping and I would rather he goes with some dignity and a spark in his eye as sad as this will be.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
havent postd before but just wanted to sayit sounds like the right decision for your boy(although only you will know) and for what its worth i would do the same. its nevereasy but you are thinking of his quality of life...lots of hugs and hope all goes well

lilly1

Visit site
Just to clarify, the previous vets are not refusing to put him down but feel he still has some quality of life and with insulin should go on for quite a bit longer. It's what constitutes quality of life that is difficult to call as we all have our own take on it.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's your dog, he lives with you, you see him every day, and the vets should be acting on your decision.

If her were mine I would let him go but that is purely my own opinion. Thinking of you at this time.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's really hard. We went through this recently with our 12 year old Jack Russell. She had been in declining health for a couple of years and it can be difficult to say when The Day has come. She had a 'stonking'' heart murmur, arthritis, liver enzymes all kaput, cataracts etc etc.
It was a whole family decision in the end when she could no longer get to her feet when on the Lino in our kitchen. She went peacefully outside in the sunshine, having just found and carried round with delight a morsel of dead small furry animal. 'A true terrier to the end!' said the vet.
Better a week early than a day late, imho.

EmzT

Visit site
Sorry you are going through this but unfortunately the more we love them, the harder it is to let them go.
I have made the difficult decision with two of my dogs in the past year.
I agree with the other posters in saying I think you already know what the right decision is. It is an agonizing time but I always feel that the few weeks leading up to the decision are actually harder than after the deed is done. Yes, it is a very sad time afterwards and you will miss your boy more than words can say, but the relief I felt when it was over was enormous. Knowing that they were no longer suffering and had gone peacefully in my arms.
Thinking of you at this hard time x