Old dog, new pup?

jokadoka

Visit site
She's good health wise, just 'old' if you know what I mean. Sleeps a lot. She has her safe space so that's not a problem. We have always had two dogs but when the other one died 4 years ago she became very clingy and it didn't seem right to introduce a new pup then, I'm not even sure why we think now might be right to be honest. She might really like it, but what if she doesn't? We'd hate to think her final months/year would be unhappy ones for her, but then again, she might love it....
I know it all seems a bit random, perhaps we're overthinking it, I don't know.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This isn't what a lot of people would recommend but I would get 2 pups, so that they can keep each other entertained and the older bitch can interact with them, as she pleases. When our Rottweilers were 6 yrs old we had to have one of them pts. Her sister also became very clingy. Fortunately we had visitors with dogs to stay for 2 days and on the 3rd I took the remaining Rotter for a walk, when she tried to attach herself to a passing spaniel, then moved the dog-gate to follow me to sit outside the bathroom door, when I went for a post-walk shower - most unlike her normal behaviour.
On the 4th day we collected the 2 Lab pups that we had found to keep her company. Because she is so much bigger than they were, we were very careful about close supervision of the 3 of them for the 1st few weeks, keeping them all on leads for most of the time, or crated and alternating on being loose around the house/garden. She has loved them from the moment she set eyes on them and spends most of her time cuddling them now. The Labs are now 2 yrs old and the Rotter still adores them and spoils them rotten.
None of that is any helpo really, as only you know your dog and how she is likely to behave towards a pup.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My sister is in this situation with her 12yr old bitch. Still very active and up for games but noticeably older and a bit stiffer. Also now blind in one eye. My sister doesn't want to upset her by getting another dog and spoiling the last few years of her life (she is a very important part of the family). Her OH has actually mentioned a couple of times about may be they should get another but she is dithering. I guess no point if she isn't happy about it, never mind how the dog feels. Shame as she does agility with current dog and will soon have to give up completely, possibly for several years depending on how long dog lasts, could be 4 or 5 years. Sister is 69 so not many active years left to start another dog in agility.
My sister has said she won't actively look but will wait for fate to provide the right dog. Hope it does.

conkers

Visit site
I had this dilemma earlier this year. 11 year old dog who had always been an only dog but had shared us with a cat until about 4 years ago. I was really conflicted as she was perfectly happy with us as things were and she is very special to us. But. I could see she was getting older and selfishly, I couldn't bear the thought of not having another dog around if she went so started to consider getting another.
She has always been really good with puppies but can be selective with older dogs so I put a lot of thought into whether I should take the plunge and get a puppy as I felt she would accept one easier than an older rescue.
There was a similar post to this on here at the time I was considering it and everyone was really positive around how getting a puppy actually helped rejuvinate their older dog. So I took the plunge and picked up a whippet puppy at the end of May and it has completely transformed her outlook at life. She is so much more energised than she was - she wants to go for walks, wants to play with toys and has stopped sleeping all day.
It does very much depend on your dog. I have to admit to some sleepless nights before I picked Granville up as, until I got him home and settled in the pessimistic part of me wondered if I was doing the right thing. But 5 months in and all is well and I think it is the best thing that I could have done.

Bellasophia

Visit site
What breed is your oldie?what temperament is she?
Does she prefer male or female company…?

Ive always added a pup when I’ve lost a second dog,but been guided by above considerations.

But Ive always added a second.

I give the old dog precedence,the pup is an “add on “and has to fit in with the lifestyle,the needs for the old dog to have their rest and first place.
I’ve used safety gates for safety factors for each one.

eg the oldie have some peace and for the pup to play safely.

My oldies have usually been delighted to have a new pup,even my very fragile old girl was thrilled to have a pup…he brought her toys to her,he laid alongside her at rest..when he was taken to the fields to run,she would watch him from the car..it was a beautiful transition.

Even at home,they lay side by side,she was almost at her end,but they gave each other positive strength.
08F59EC4-37F9-4175-9CF4-98DCF49C53DB.jpeg

Landcruiser

Visit site
Our young JRT certainly livened up our two old boys (who were 8 and 9 when we got her as a pup). They were set in their ways, never played together, just rubbed along with no drama. Along came Scout. She idolises both of them, but especially Joe, the older lurcher. Both the old boys play with her, although one at a time, never together. She's been a breath of fresh air, no negatives at all.

jokadoka

Visit site
Thanks everybody for your helpful replies, it's very encouraging to read so many positive experiences. Our old girl is a Beauceron, life expectancy is 12, so we are doing well at 12.5 years of age!
We have taken the plunge and have committed ourselves to a puppy. We took our dog with us and they met today in a very supervised way. Body language and general interaction was very positive so we have decided to go for it. Very exciting times ahead, thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
We got two puppies when Big Dog was 7. Because Zak was a very demanding dog and we were training two, Big Dog was very much sidelined. Now we’re down to one 11 year old but having had to avoid other dogs for most of his life, we’ve decided to hold off for now. It’s such a huge tie and we’ve discovered the joys of last minute holidays which are lots easier with just one dog.

I think I’d think long and hard about how the current dog gets on with others and why you want another now. Not judging, I can well imagine we’ll get more at some point and yes, it’ll be two.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I got Cecil and my old collie is about 16, hes now 6 months.
She did dislike him at first when he was tiny and had no idea of personal space.
I kept them separate when I wasn’t there to protect her!
I still crate him over night because he will try and sleep in her bed which she won’t tolerate and will just sit and bark at him.
We now have two puppies as my daughter moved in with hers and they play well, the old
Girl ignores them much of the time.
Walk wise it was great, she can’t go far and puppies can’t go far so that worked.
She loved the sudden influx of toys! (Never been interested in her own!)
She’s generally quite grouchy with other dogs so I knew I had to tred carefully but it’s worked out really well.,