Old dog passing blood ?

bonny

Visit site
I have an old collie who has been unwell on and off for the last couple of weeks and I'm uncertain of what to do for the best with her? She's up and down, seems to be getting better and then worse again, can dogs have bowel cancer ? She has been passing blood some days, sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much and over the last few days I'm coming down to it in the mornings. If she was just going downhill I would face the fact that it's the end of the road but it's hard when she then seems better.

Umbongo

Visit site
Yes dogs can suffer from many different types of cancer, also things like colitis, gastroenteritis etc.
Please book an appointment with your vet ASAP.

bonny

Visit site
She's been to the vets who didn't know what was wrong and who is reluctant to do any more tests, she had a high temperature but he found nothing else wrong

Moobli

Visit site
I would get a second opinion from a different vet tbh. As Umbongo has said, passing blood could be down to a number of things. Try not to worry and go to a different vet.

bonny

Visit site
She's 16, my vet didn't want to do any more tests with her and I agree with him, she had to spend a day on a trip as she was so dehyrated and I didn't think she had long to go. What I can't understand now is that she is up and down and I'm not sure what to do for the best. She's still going on walks, eating okish but is passing blood and not herself.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have a 16 year old lurcher and I completely understand your reluctance to do further prodding. If she is not herself though that is probably pain, therefore if I didn't want to put her through tests I would just bite the bullet and PTS. I don't mean it nastily but I think it should be one or the other. My old girl is pretty good but when her wobbly back legs get any worse she won't be going on more pills she will be PTS.

Chiffy

Visit site
The usual saying.... better a week too soon than a day too late. You owe it to her.
I had a 16 year old PTS in May, I was determined to get it right, keep as long as possible while she had a quality of life. I think I got it right. She was happy to go, I was bereft. That's how it is, best wishes. xx

Moobli

Visit site
Ah yes sorry, in your original post, you never said how old she was. I too would consider PTS, especially if she is having more bad days than good :( So sorry, it is never easy.