Old dog, slippy floors

oldie48

Visit site
My rather elderly border terrier (16) is very inactive and has quite severe arthritis in his hind leg following a ruptured and repaired cruciate ligament some years ago. As a result he's lost a lot of muscle and finding our stone floors rather difficult at times. I came home yesterday to find him spread eagled on the kitchen floor in a pool of wee. He still enjoys his food, will fetch his raggy for a play and enjoys a slow stroll round the garden so I really don't feel it's time to PTS. Any bright ideas for making the floor a bit more "wobbly dog" friendly. He does have a few accidents these days despite going out every half an hour or so, so he might have slipped because the floor was wet and if I know I'm out for a while I will leave a large towel by the back door but any other ideas gratefully received.

s4sugar

Visit site
splendidpets.com sell seconds of dirttrapper mats which are ideal for safe footing for oldies and if you get 5x3 or smaller can be maching washed.

kirstie

Visit site
My elderly gsd struggled with slippery floors. We laid lots of matts down for him but he wouldn't always lay on them so did have difficulties but could always get up himself within a few seconds.

The night he could no longer get up himself we decided to PTS. I'm sorry to say that if it were me and I found my dog like you did I would make the decision to pts.

My dog too was eating happily and enjoyed a pootle around and playing with my JRTx. To be laying in his own urine would indicate he'd been there for some time and it would have been distressing for him. I'm sorry but I think you need to consider what is kindest for your dog.

I'm very sorry if I am being harsh, it is a horrible decision to make.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Poor old thing, and poor you. Such a tough decision to have to make. If you honestly think he still has a decent quality of life, which you say you do and I can respect that then I'd dot any little mats or rugs you can find around the room to allow grip wherever possible. I have a little disabled dog who definitely has a great quality of life but also used to struggle when we had laminate flooring in our old house and this worked well. I also tried paw wax which didn't really seem to help much but if you'd like to try it Id be happy to post it to you x

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks I respect your honesty and opinion but he's just galloped past me having had his supper and feeling ,I'm sure, quite happy and full of beans (not literally). I'm quite confident that it's not time for PTS. For the time being, I think I need to put something on the floor to give him a bit more grip, fortunately there is usually someone here so its a rare occurance for him to be left for more than an hour, yesterday was an exceptional event.
My elderly gsd struggled with slippery floors. We laid lots of matts down for him but he wouldn't always lay on them so did have difficulties but could always get up himself within a few seconds.

The night he could no longer get up himself we decided to PTS. I'm sorry to say that if it were me and I found my dog like you did I would make the decision to pts.

My dog too was eating happily and enjoyed a pootle around and playing with my JRTx. To be laying in his own urine would indicate he'd been there for some time and it would have been distressing for him. I'm sorry but I think you need to consider what is kindest for your dog.

I'm very sorry if I am being harsh, it is a horrible decision to make.

Meems

Visit site
I've got lots of rugs in my bedroom and about three bath mats in my living room where she eats her food. Otherwise she ends up doing the splits.

It's not very dignified, this getting old business :(

flirtygerty

Visit site
What about these non slip fabric you can get, designed for dashboards in cars, but have lots of uses, cheap as chips, readily available from supermarkets/pound shops, or a caravan awning carpet, washable and not that expensive, also warm to lie on

FFAQ

Visit site
Someone was showing me some slipper socks she bought for her elderly dog with a similar problem. They are like the grippy socks you get for humans. I think she bought them on Amazon and they were surprisingly cheap.

oldie48

Visit site
thanks for your replies, I've ordered some gripper socks for hm. Perhaps I hadn't made it clear but he generally doesn't have a problem getting up and down but if he slips on the floor and does the splits, which is thankfully not that frequently, he can't get up. I would not keep a dog going that could not get up unaided from his normal sitting or lying position. I am very prepared to manage episodes of incontinence and the general vagueness that he has and when I feel it's time, then I'll do the proper thing. As a pensioner myself I just hope I have the love and care my old dog gets when my health starts deteriorating! lol Perhaps legal PTS will be an option in time!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Oldie48, how true your last 2 sentences are! We had a similar problem with our last elderly dog as we have tiled floors throughout. We bought some cheap off cuts of carpet and cut long strips which we made into a little runway for him leading from kitchen, through the hall and into the garden via the lounge. House looked a mess but he cottoned on quite quickly. He did still slip occasionally, mainly when he got too playful for his own good and stepped off the carpet at speed. We decided to PTS when he started having regular accidents in the house, he would just stand and wee, dont think he even knew he was doing it although afterwards he would slip over if he trod in it and was visibly upset by the situation. It doesnt sound as if your little dog has got to that stage yet and you are obviously more than happy and capable of doing the right thing by him x

oldie48

Visit site
Just an update. The gripper socks were brilliant and gave him so much confidence, I really recommend them. However, Jake was PTS this morning as yesterday he suddenly lost his appetite, which had been very good in deed up to that point. We are very sad to have lost him but feel very lucky to have had such a lovely dog. RIP Jake.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Just an update. The gripper socks were brilliant and gave him so much confidence, I really recommend them. However, Jake was PTS this morning as yesterday he suddenly lost his appetite, which had been very good in deed up to that point. We are very sad to have lost him but feel very lucky to have had such a lovely dog. RIP Jake.

I am so so sorry to read this. Sending hugs xxx

Gift Horse

Visit site
Sad news x I was following because I have a three legged dog who dashes about fine but slips on the kitchen tiles. Sorry to read you lost your dog x