'old fashion' things you still do ...

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
arrghh, I've thought of some more!

Stretching out on a long rein at the end of the ride (like you see dressage riders doing at the end of a test) still riding on a contact but allowing the horse to stretch its neck downwards and to relax
poo picking daily (actually I do twice a day when the clocks change for he summer while the boys are indoors eating)
cleaning tack straight after it is used (completely at odds with some people I'm acquainted with)
picking out the feet before and after a ride (see previous comment about other people)
Stretching out the front legs after doing the girth up, and checking it again once mounted
Drying off before putting tack or rugs on (thatching is a bit messy I find, so string vest and modern cooler over the top)
Brushing the saddle and girth patches out after riding to remove any dried sweat and 'pointy' hair
Rubbing the legs after removing bandages and boots

Jeez, I think I could go on for ages - mind you a lot of these aren't necessarily old fashioned just things that people tend to let slip a bit when they are in a rush as so many of us are these days.

Yes to this list too I think we were in the same PC branch:D Especially tack and riding boot / chaps cleaning straight away.

r0450111

Visit site
I use a body brush and metal curry comb, I also spend 10 minutes at the start of schooling walking on a long rein. At the end we walk on a long rein for 5 minutes, then walk in hand for a further 10. Get some seriously odd looks!! I bandage as well using pads.

TandD

Visit site
i learnt these two off an old race horse trainer... not sure if they are 'old fashioned'?

(i think) trot the same amount you walk, and canter 1/2 of what you trot

if you dont have a knife and need to open a bale of straw, hay or haylage get another piece of string in similar diameter to the one round the bale, and with the free piece of string tuck it under the piece round the bale, then pull it back and forth against the piece round the bale! works every time and can be very useful when youve locked away the knife!!!!

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
Agree with this! Was horrified to see someone trot around the school a couple of times, then jump and when they had finished jumping, they hopped off and put horse away :O !!!

I like warming up and down.

A girl up here came into the arena, cantered her horse round, popped it round a 1.10, pulled up, hopped off. done.
Friend asked her why she doesn't warm up...but apparently he doesn't need warming up because he's fit already...

:rolleyes:

each to their own and all that jazz..

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
if you dont have a knife and need to open a bale of straw, hay or haylage get another piece of string in similar diameter to the one round the bale, and with the free piece of string tuck it under the piece round the bale, then pull it back and forth against the piece round the bale! works every time and can be very useful when youve locked away the knife!!!!

Yes!! :D ha

At the end we walk on a long rein for 5 minutes, then walk in hand for a further 10. Get some seriously odd looks!! I bandage as well using pads.

I do the same. People have asked me if I've fallen off whilst walking off in hand before.

Oddjobs Wife

New User
Visit site
Yes, Polar Skye - mucking out! It seems on my yard that the thing to do is take out large pieces of poo only - wouldn't even walk my horse in some of the stables!
Another one for hacking out!
And at least the people on your yard trot a couple of times round the school before jumping, Nah - it's not the done thing where I am.

Drives me nuts!! And it proves how tough horses are when they stay sound and healthy coping with all of that!

CBFan

Visit site
Putting my horse in his stable to eat his breakfast and dinner..
Warming up and cooling down on a long rein...
Hot clothing after a ride.
Cleaning my tack.
Wearing appropriate attire for riding and yard duties.
Keeping my horse in the same / very similar routine throughout the week.
Mucking out daily. Properly and laying the bed square, with level banks etc.
Grooming thoroughly most days.
curry comb and body brush.
Thanking other road users for passing considerately.
Saying good morning / afternoon to people we meet out hacking.
forked up and squared off Muck heap.

sandi_84

Visit site
A girl up here came into the arena, cantered her horse round, popped it round a 1.10, pulled up, hopped off. done.
Friend asked her why she doesn't warm up...but apparently he doesn't need warming up because he's fit already...

:rolleyes:

each to their own and all that jazz..

I know people who are "eperienced" who go into the arena start off in canter, do various dressage moves etc and then get off and put the horse away and I could never understand why they wouldn't warm up and warm down afterwards :confused: I once had a conversation with someone about it and said it's a bit like asking an athelete to not warm up or stretch before doing serious physical work, it's just asking for pulled muscles etc so why would you do it to a horse?

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
I know people who are "eperienced" who go into the arena start off in canter, do various dressage moves etc and then get off and put the horse away and I could never understand why they wouldn't warm up and warm down afterwards :confused: I once had a conversation with someone about it and said it's a bit like asking an athelete to not warm up or stretch before doing serious physical work, it's just asking for pulled muscles etc so why would you do it to a horse?

My thoughts exactly! Very strange

brigit

Visit site
Hot clothing and thatching:) also greeting other riders I meet and also checking my horse for lumps and bumps and picking his hooves out everyday- currently horseless for the minute but this was how I did it when I had merlin

Luci07

Visit site
Walking home after a hack. I always always walk the last mile home as it was drilled into me to never bring a horse home hot or encourage a running off situation on the way home!

Sprocket123

Visit site
Love this thread :)

Apologies as some of this has been said!

Strapping
Bandages
Warming up/cooling down
Common sense ;)
I turn my horses out naked
Enough bedding and banks - I dont like the whole if you have rubber matting you only need a sprinkle of shavings for the horse

3OldPonies

Visit site
Twinkley Lights - I love that you think we might have been in the same PC Branch :) I've never been to PC in my life :D:D:D:D:D:D I'm almost entirely self taught and have just 'picked up' all my experience from the time spent begging and borrowing rides and stable time in my youth! I must have had some very good teachers!

The first stables I rode at would be considered extremely naff these days, but they did drum into us that the horse came first and us second, oh and we got a right telling off if any of us didn't thank drivers when we were out for a group hack.

Actually, come to think of the lessons were probably way out of step with today too - we'd do half an hour in the school and then half an hour hacking. Gave us a pretty good all round grounded approach I think - wet lessons (no indoor school in those days) were spent in the tack room, feed room or hayloft being taught about caring for tack, feeding or other aspects of horsecare. No need to book in for these as an 'extra' they came as standard!

Gracie21

Visit site
Great thread, amazing how many things I do which are considered 'old fashioned'! I always take off saddle pad, girth and stirrups from the saddle. Bridle is tied up and martingale/breastplate taken off. CANNOT STAND everything staying together in a big mess of messiness!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
All my horses, including the 2 two year olds, take a few steps backwards as soon as the stable door is opened.

Basic manners, nothing old fashioned about it, but having viewed, tried and looked after a lot of different horses in the past year there was not one of them that were polite enough to step back. WHY !!!

Shantara

Visit site
All my horses, including the 2 two year olds, take a few steps backwards as soon as the stable door is opened.

Basic manners, nothing old fashioned about it, but having viewed, tried and looked after a lot of different horses in the past year there was not one of them that were polite enough to step back. WHY !!!

Taught Neddy this one a few months ago :D
He doesn't like being in a stable and used to try and leave as soon as the door was opened. Now he's much better and more polite :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Taught Neddy this one a few months ago :D
He doesn't like being in a stable and used to try and leave as soon as the door was opened. Now he's much better and more polite :)

Good for you and one day his good manners will save you or someone else having a nasty accident.

I had two horses visit the yard earlier this year. I watched with total astonishment as their owners fought to get into the stables, it took one owner holding the door whilst the other one tried to squeeze through a tiny opening. Sadly they only came for the day, had I had them for a week they would have been re-educated.

indie999

Visit site
Walking home after a hack. I always always walk the last mile home as it was drilled into me to never bring a horse home hot or encourage a running off situation on the way home!

I get off too and if it was cold straw coat(a layer on to help retain heat if turned out).

Using a piece of twine to open up another bale.

Batgirl

Visit site
To me it comes down to the power of 'Why' which is what I live my life by.

I started riding when I was 20 so about 9 years ago and everything someone has taught me I have asked why? Why is it don with that (particular instrument)? Why is it done then? Why is it done at all? etc etc

This allows me to progress when modern technology allows me to and to stick to the 'old fashioned' (or as I like to call the tried and tested) where it is sensible to.
I use a string vest as this seemed the best cooler for my horse.
I use a metal curry comb with a body brush because it keeps the brush clean.
I don't clean my tack every time I use it as it IMO damages the leather.
I don't change my horses rug at night (I do take it off and check under it)

Could someone enlighten me to the meaning of 'tying up ribbons'?? No clue!

mirage

Visit site
My daughters are now using my rubber curry comb and metal mane comb that I had for my 1st pony back in 1978.Eldest wears a traditional velvet cap with ribbons out as she is a farmer's daughter,both ponies have plain tack.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Batgirl the ribbons thing is the bow on the back of velvet riding hats. Only certain people are traditionally supposed to have the ribbons down, everyone else is supposed to stitch the ends up (or something like that -I've never actually seen it or known anyone who has done it).

babymare

Visit site
Something that seems popular on my yard is unclipping strap of haed collar that goes round behind chheks and slipping headcollar over ears. does that make sense. sorry me i put headcollar over nose and strap then behind ears etc . plus i put rope round neck first. was how i was trained so so many years ago and how i will stay. many of ways was trained in "old" days i keep. thatching, good old salt water and changing day rugs and night rugs. and i wont change lol :)

babymare

Visit site
Omg 3oldponies not tanking drivers was a disciplinrry and not hacking out smartly attired was another. and as for riding in a strapped t shirt and not proper sleeves it just wasnt done. isnt it funny how stuff stays with you. always wear gloves when riding . no hat and improper footwear was unthinkable. lol all i still do now sub conciously and which my daughter now does :) keep the old ways going lol

Batgirl

Visit site
Batgirl the ribbons thing is the bow on the back of velvet riding hats. Only certain people are traditionally supposed to have the ribbons down, everyone else is supposed to stitch the ends up (or something like that -I've never actually seen it or known anyone who has done it).

Thank you :)

MoonRiver

Visit site
Great thread, am really surprised at how many people still thatch though. thought thermatex were a staple for every horse owner now. :D

Remember at riding school having the string sweat rug and having to put a jute rug on inside out then folding back corners and using a surcingle to secure it all (oh the pleasure of a thermatex).

Warming up and down an absolute must. String to open bales, stepped muck heap, simply grooming a horse . . . .

Marydoll

Visit site
Good for you and one day his good manners will save you or someone else having a nasty accident.

I had two horses visit the yard earlier this year. I watched with total astonishment as their owners fought to get into the stables, it took one owner holding the door whilst the other one tried to squeeze through a tiny opening. Sadly they only came for the day, had I had them for a week they would have been re-educated.

How frustrating, having to watch this would drive me nuts, an accident waiting to happen, all of mine move back when im going into stables, and all i needed to do was say "step back" every time i went in, initially with a wiggle of a finger on the chest, now they step back when the bolt slides across, even at feed times :)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site

I remember I always used to tuck my ribbons underneath so they didn't dangle. I can't remember why except that it wasn't the "done thing" to have them hanging.

I haven't got a hat with a ribbon on it now... hadn't occurred to me but I miss having the ribbon!

cob&onion

Visit site
I still use a metal curry comb and body brush, never see anyone do that?

Really? i always use a body brush and metal curry comb :confused:

Oh and only walk the last half mile of a fast ride. Can't stand people who gallop home same reason as above really I like to turn out a dry horse

Walk for the first 10 mins of the ride til he is warm, walk the last mile home to cool off.

arrghh, I've thought of some more!
Stretching out on a long rein at the end of the ride (like you see dressage riders doing at the end of a test) still riding on a contact but allowing the horse to stretch its neck downwards and to relax

Is warming up and cooling down not the done thing anymore?? :confused:
I thought it was just common sense to warm up correctly then cool down and stretch on a long rein?? i always make sure my horse's breathing has returned to normal after exercising , a good walk on a long rein for 10 mins or so and she stops puffing....

Visit site
I still use the old fashioned 'bar' saddle soap. :)
Walk for first 10-15 mins of ride and cool down correctly at end
Hot cloth when necessary
Groom a fully clipped horse using a body brush and metal curry comb

:)

CBFan

Visit site
Something that seems popular on my yard is unclipping strap of haed collar that goes round behind chheks and slipping headcollar over ears. does that make sense. sorry me i put headcollar over nose and strap then behind ears etc . plus i put rope round neck first. )

Yes, I know what you mean... I don't get how the 'new way' is any easier than the original way... if anything the old way generally means you stand half a chance of holding onto a 'runner' as you can whip the headpiece over their ears much quicker....