Old H&H collection (70s/80s) - some advice please?

Tulstar

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone :)

Please be gentle with me - I'm a newbie to the forum and I wasn't sure where to post this (please feel free to redirect me to the correct place if needed!).

I have just been clearing out the loft at my grandparents' farm, and have come across a huge collection of old Horse & Hound magazines dating back to the late 70s/ early 80s. I've been informed by my grandparents that they have pretty much every single issue release during this time. They are all bundled together, and haven't seen the light of day for decades. As such, they're very dusty but look to be in excellent condition overall.

Having had a quick flick through them, there appear to be a number of commemorative issues (the Charles/Diana wedding issue being one of them, as well as a series of "hunting special" issues). I wondered whether these magazines would be of any interest to anybody, and whether anybody could give me any indication as to how much they might be worth (I realise that they may not be worth much, but certain issues might be worth something to a collector).

As I mentioned before, the collection contains virtually every issue between the late 70s and early 80s. If somebody would be kind enough to give me some advice, or to point me in the direction of someone who may be able to help, I'd be very grateful. They were on their way to the tip this morning before I decided to hold them back until I'd found out a bit more about them.

Thank you.
Mark

camilla4

Visit site
Mark, these may well be of considerable interest to someone and it is certainly worth advertising them - try ebay? I would love them as my collection was lost in a flood some time ago but I doubt my current budget would stretch to the delivery!

Tulstar

New User
Visit site
Hi Camilla, thank you for replying. I have had a look on eBay, and the prices seem to vary. I think I will need to have a good sort through them and spend a day getting them all listed.

Ideally (if there was any interest) I would prefer to sell them all together. Postage would not be a problem for me as I can get a good price for a courier - I'd just need to find a box big enough to put them in!

Thanks
Mark

camilla4

Visit site
Mark - if you give me details of quantity/condition etc, and a price range I am happy to ask around for you if I don't grab them myself! PM me if you prefer.

Tulstar

New User
Visit site
I'd have to have a good sort out first so that I can get a better idea of condition. I have had a quick look at them and all of the ones I've seen appear to be in excellent condition. There is some yellowing to the page edges, but they seem intact other than that. Some of them even have the original leaflets/flyers etc. which came inside them..!

camilla4

Visit site
Yes, do take a good look through them as, if they are in excellent condition, you can obviously ask more for them. Sounds like a great acquisition for someone. I was gutted when my father's basement was flooded and all mine were lost :(. They were also 70s/80s and I used to love looking back through them.