Old horse needs training again. Possible ?

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
To keep a long story short. I inherited a 23 yr old mare from my dad. Fit as. Good condition. (the horse)
She has been in a paddock with a companion and not ridden for years. I'd like to ride her. She's a bit "wild" and "headstrong" at the moment. Bad mannered you could say.
Can a horse like this be schooled do you think ? I know it depends on many factors. What do people think. She will walk with you ok but gets really excited around other horses. Maybe because she was always a dominant mare.
Thoughts ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My thoughts are that I not sure I think it is fair to take a horse that old who has been out of work for years and start riding it.

Are there reasons why you feel she needs to be ridden at an age where she is unlikely to have more than a couple of years work left in her?

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
My thoughts are that I not sure I think it is fair to take a horse that old who has been out of work for years and start riding it.

Are there reasons why you feel she needs to be ridden at an age where she is unlikely to have more than a couple of years work left in her?
Well my definition of riding may be different from yours. I'm talking about walking her really. I just want her to be happy.

stangs

Visit site
From the sounds of it, you're not experienced enough to be bringing back an older horse into ridden work. What does "headstrong" mean in this context: difficult to lead, fresh..? Why do you think you riding her will make her happier? Not to mention - an older horse who's been out in a field for a while is unlikely to be 'fit as'.

If you think taking her for in hand walks will be good for her mentally, and you don't think you can currently handle her when doing so, get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well my definition of riding may be different from yours. I'm talking about walking her really. I just want her to be happy.

She will be happiest left with her companion in her usual field to get on with life as she knows it.

Eta, it is highly unlikely that her tack will fit now, she really won't be 'fit as', unless you meant fit as a horse that has been left in a field for years and an inexperienced rider won't be balanced enough to bring an unfit, elderly horse back into even walk work.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
From the sounds of it, you're not experienced enough to be bringing back an older horse into ridden work. What does "headstrong" mean in this context: difficult to lead, fresh..? Why do you think you riding her will make her happier? Not to mention - an older horse who's been out in a field for a while is unlikely to be 'fit as'.

If you think taking her for in hand walks will be good for her mentally, and you don't think you can currently handle her when doing so, get someone in who knows what they're doing.
Yes. She's in a livery with girls who can do this. I'm on the right track I think. Thanks.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Is this the same horse as in your last 2 threads?

She's on full livery
Your father has dementia.
Seen 3 generations of the family ride her.
You want to ride her
She is on her own after losing companion
Shes in good condition apart from needing a farrier.
She arrived safely after a long trip.
Flies are an issue

Same horse?

Last edited:

moosea

Visit site
I don't think it is a wise idea.
It takes a very long time to get older horses to a level of fitness where they have the back muscles to support a rider. This would need to be done very slowly over a period of months. The saddle would need to be refitted and possibly replaced as the mare will have changed shape over the years and will continue to change shape while building muscle.

You'd have to start with leading her in walk only for at least 3-6 months slowly building up from 5 minutes in walk.

If I was in your situation I might be tempted to spend some time getting her to lead properly and maybe aiming for some in hand vertran showing instead. You will still need to tone her up with in hand walking but if she has previously hunted then she should be ok to load and it's fun spending time in preparing for shows as well as attending.
I don't think I would ride her to be honest. She's done her working days and deserves a fun retirement. Also they get expensive very fast if you are not very careful with older horses.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
Is this the same horse as in your last 2 threads?

She's on full livery
Your father has dementia.
Seen 3 generations of the family ride her.
You want to ride her
She is on her own after losing companion
Shes in good condition apart from needing a farrier.
She arrived safely after a long trip.
Flies are an issue

Same horse?
Yep. There's just the one

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
She will be happiest left with her companion in her usual field to get on with life as she knows it.

Eta, it is highly unlikely that her tack will fit now, she really won't be 'fit as', unless you meant fit as a horse that has been left in a field for years and an inexperienced rider won't be balanced enough to bring an unfit, elderly horse back into even walk work.
If you saw her you wouldn't suggest she was unfit !

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
You say the horse is “fit as”.

What do you mean by this?

There’s a huge difference between being healthy/sound in the field and actually being fit for ridden work - especially at 23 years old for a horse who has never been ridden properly.
Thanks for your input. Not looking for an argument.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you saw her you wouldn't suggest she was unfit !

Any horse that hasn’t been ridden for a couple of months or more is ‘unfit’. That doesn’t mean they’re not healthy. More importantly the longer a horse has been out of work the longer the fitness process takes (just like us).

Obviously with a horse that’s 23 years old, and out of work for several years, the whole process will take even longer (it’s a bit like a 70 year old person deciding to start exercising after years of not having done so. It will be a long, slow process).

Apart from your dad, I guess the people who know her best is the Yard Owner. What’s their opinion?

planete

Visit site
Horses get stressed when asked to do things they do not normally do, like being ridden after years of not being ridden, or being made to walk a strange route, particularly on their own as you are proposing to do if going from the field to your house. If she is jumpy already she will become even more so. You do not want to hear it but it is not fair without a long preparation done very slowly and carefully, starting with a lot of in hand work to build up the horse's weight carrying muscles plus getting her fit to venture out to a strange place. She would need to be conditioned both physically and mentally which could take a year of regular training and would need expert help. Please be careful for your own sake as well, she may well react very strongly to what you propose if you just try and go ahead without being able to anticipate her reactions. I can understand how you are seeing the situation but if you really want to ride, pamper your old girl and make a friend of her to make her last years happy while you go and ride at a good friendly riding establishment and enjoy safe guilt free riding.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
One very important thing, are you planning on riding bareback?
Any saddle that fitted when she might have been in work is extremely unlikely to fit now. If you did use it without a professional checking and adjusting, then you'll cause sores and damage to her back.

As mentioned above, she may be looking good in the field but all riding muscles will have atrophied, please rethink this.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
Horses get stressed when asked to do things they do not normally do, like being ridden after years of not being ridden, or being made to walk a strange route, particularly on their own as you are proposing to do if going from the field to your house. If she is jumpy already she will become even more so. You do not want to hear it but it is not fair without a long preparation done very slowly and carefully, starting with a lot of in hand work to build up the horse's weight carrying muscles plus getting her fit to venture out to a strange place. She would need to be conditioned both physically and mentally which could take a year of regular training and would need expert help. Please be careful for your own sake as well, she may well react very strongly to what you propose if you just try and go ahead without being able to anticipate her reactions. I can understand how you are seeing the situation but if you really want to ride, pamper your old girl and make a friend of her to make her last years happy while you go and ride at a good friendly riding establishment and enjoy safe guilt free riding.
So it is possible. That's all I was asking. Thanks.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
One very important thing, are you planning on riding bareback?
Any saddle that fitted when she might have been in work is extremely unlikely to fit now. If you did use it without a professional checking and adjusting, then you'll cause sores and damage to her back.

As mentioned above, she may be looking good in the field but all riding muscles will have atrophied, please rethink this.

Until she is used to me and exercised gently and built up I won't be riding her. When I do it will be with a saddle that fits well enough for a gentle ride. Checked by experienced livery staff.