Old horse, not happy

liannexsx

Visit site
I keep my horses at livery. My old girl is 27 welsh x 15hh. She's currently out 24/7 with my youngster, and my riding horse. She's got about 50% vision, bone spavin and gum disease. I just notice over the past couple of weeks she's just not too happy. Shes never been that into people. I'm feeding her every day to try to build her up (spillers senior conditioning mix) and she gets her teeth brushed every day. She's not rugged as I can't get to the yard morning and night to put it on/off and it's too warm to rug her 24/7. She has sensitive skin and gets mega itchy. Her teeth were last done at end of march and she gets them done six monthly.
She seemed to be spitting out a little food today and she's thin. Not ribby but trim. I'm going to get vet out to check her over if her eating style wasn't just a one off.
I guess im looking for ideas of what would put some weight on that I've not thot of. Im pretty sure that like me she is sick of our recent weather! She was a little brighter today with this sun.
Her legs are great as she is out. In winter she needs superflex as they are stabled at night and in pens during the day.
So...any suggestions?

bj666

Visit site
My 34 year old is very well , no teeth problems and is a very good doer , but she does love her shredded sugarbeet . Shredded rather than any other type , as it stays in their system longer and they get more out of it rather than it romping thru their system and missing all the vits and mins etc . And she can drink it if she wants .... I have to wear wet weather gear tho as she is the messiest eater and the noise ....OMG .... ! But she loves it ! Great for putting weight on tho , and if shes not chunky feed plenty ... you can always cut it down , but do make sure its sloppy and soaked for 24 hours .

bj666

Visit site
But mines the same she misses the sunshine , well she's from US so she doesnt do rain , mud etc !

team barney

Visit site
Some oldies do drop food if the have a couple of missing teeth, if fed easily digestible food they cope fine though and don't suffer from continued weight loss. Certain horses struggle to get fat once they reach old age. Is she maintaining her weight?

liannexsx

Visit site
I think that may be where I see the difference. Had to take her off sugar beet and anything with
molasses due to the reaction in her skin. Makes her rub herself to bits! She isn't dropping weight quickly. I think it's in all likelihood old age and will be managed with feeding as much as we can and rugs when required. (cue 4am starts for me). I've had her since I was in my teens, I just want to be doing right by her since she looked after me. Going to get vet out to check her teeth early too (vet is excellent at it and she needs sedated)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I do think it would be a good idea to rug her during the wet weather. Perhaps someone at your yard could help you out with that.

liannexsx

Visit site
Yes her food is soaked. The sloppier the better! She's always liked it that way. It's only when I'm early shift I'd have a problem for rugging her. It's trying to get the balance between being too hot and miserable!
Thank you! Who'd have horses??!!