Old horse worries

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My lovely old horse is worrying me a bit and I’m after some thoughts please.
Quick back ground.
He’s 16.2 ID type (but unknown breeding) aged 20. I’ve had him 9 years. I took him on when his old owners were pts because he went lame after intensive schooling/hunting so was no use to them.
I hacked him gently for several years (soundly with care) then he retired 3 years ago. I retired him less to lameness but more a feeling he didn’t want to be ridden anymore. He’s been fairly happily retired. Munches grass all day, yes gets a bit fat but my theory is I’d rather a happy shorter life than a life where he’s shut in or muzzled.
Last autumn out of no where he got laminitis in all 4 feet. This was after a summer on grass with no issues so was very unexpected.
He’s this winter lost his topline, and stayed very hairy.
His Cushings test has come back negative. I know I should be happy with this but I’d told myself he had it and I’d pop him on prescand and his life would be able to continue as normal.
I’m now terrified he will get laminitis again. The field he’s in is away from home and a fair uphill walk from the nearest road so I’m very concerned what happens if he gets laminitis again.
He also has other health issues, all controlled and on top of but this unexplained laminitis and muscle wastage worries me stupid.

OLDGREYMARE

Visit site
There is a more sensitive test for PPID called a TRH stim test which may prove your theory that he has cushings. It does sound like he has. Autumn laminitis is quite common.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd convinced myself F was definitely going to test positive last time (though no lami) he certainly has metabolic indicators. If he'd had lami I would probably have done the other test too.

The decision has been that we will do our best (he is lightly ridden) by keeping him on a track round the field as the best we can do (not muzzling anymore as jaw arthritis suspected /teeth issues. My intention is that if he gets lami that will likely be it for him, though I do of course wish he doesn't. I do not feel keen to put a 25 yo horse with other issues through much lami pain or extensively stable him. :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is a more sensitive test for PPID called a TRH stim test which may prove your theory that he has cushings. It does sound like he has. Autumn laminitis is quite common.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!.

We had one consistently test negative on the ACTH test, then we had the TRH stim test, the maximum level is 110, hers was 800! Sadly by then the Prascend didn't make as much difference as it could have done, if we had had that result earlier.

ETA, this did make me laugh!

I took him on when his old owners were pts

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!.

We had one consistently test negative on the ACTH test, then we had the TRH stim test, the maximum level is 110, hers was 800! Sadly by then the Prascend didn't make as much difference as it could have done, if we had had that result earlier.

ETA, this did make me laugh!

I took him on when his old owners were pts

Ohhhh yes! Whoops!! Haha! I could have put them to sleep personally the cr** they put the poor old boy through!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I have posted on here before about Mac. His passport says he’s 21. He has always been a very good dooer, but over the last 18 months or so, I have struggled to keep weight on him. Going into this winter last gone, he was very poor. I had the vet out, full bloods run including a second cushings test, which again came back negative. I have a cushings mare with no real symptoms, so just have a feeling.

Mac has been retired for 3 years due to arthritis and ring bone. Held onto his muscle until the last 6/8 months. His bloods all show a very healthy horse, but his teeth are knackered. Vet said comparing rhem, she’d age him at least 10 years older than my mare who is 25.

A lot of things make me think cushings still. He is holding onto his coat, more so than my medicated mare, drinking more, and although being fed plenty of hay, and shortfeed, still not putting on as much weight as I would like. If I can’t get a decent weight on him over this summer, he won’t be going through next winter.

I’ve never heard of the TRH stim test. Both the oldies are now due a dental, and Dolls ACTH test, so will ask about it.

meleeka

Visit site
Second the recommendation for a TRH tesf. Some vets will try a trial of Prascend. If it makes a difference they are assumed positive so it may be worth having another chat with your vet.

Suby2

Visit site
Also recommended the TRH test. My pony came back negative several times with the other test. She then had to stay at the vets for a few days and seeing her close up for a period of time convinced the vets that she had PPID. The TRH confirmed this. She is now on Prascend and doing fine in retirement. She also had other health issues.