Old leather headcollar

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m going through the boy’s stuff to sell lots I just don’t ever use and came across a headcollar I used for a show years ago then chucked in a bridle bag. It’s very stiff/dirty. I’ve used neutral nourishing shoe polish on it, maybe the wrong thing? What can I do to soften it up?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I spent most of my life following the "never use oil" mantra but I'm fairly sure the stitching these days is not affected by oil - it certainly hasn't harmed any of mine and I know other people who do it. I was reluctant but it was a bit of a revalation (thanks Damnation). Regular oiling I wouldn't bother with, but as a one off to moisturise old dry leather it is excellent.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've had several exchanges of PMs with Oz (CremedeMonthe) on the subject; he reckons that soaking in neatsfoot oil substantially alters the structure of the fibres in the leather, weakening it.

His recommendation to me was to wash leather with soap, and then to use a proper leather balm to then nourish the leather. I think (though not entirely sure) that this is with fat, rather than oil (there is a subtle but important difference).

Since then, I've researched some more, and found a few recipes based on tallow, beeswax or carnauba wax (or a mixture of the two), a very small amount of neatsfoot oil and a tiny amount of cedar or eucalyptus oil.

Floxie

Visit site
I actually really rate Absorbine Horseman's One Step for cleaning - it's a cleaner and conditioner, but even if you just use it as a soap to get the grime out it's fab - because it's not waxy like saddle soap you can then treat it with the conditioner or oil of your choice (or just stick with the one step - it's supposed to condition too hence the name, but if I have really grotty stuff I'll follow with neatsfoot or Lincoln leather balsam (lovely - smells like honey!)).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had a clearout yesterday and unearthed some leather conditioner, lovely stuff. I might do the oil soak thing too. Thanks, all!

pansymouse

Visit site
I spent most of my life following the "never use oil" mantra but I'm fairly sure the stitching these days is not affected by oil - it certainly hasn't harmed any of mine and I know other people who do it. I was reluctant but it was a bit of a revalation (thanks Damnation). Regular oiling I wouldn't bother with, but as a one off to moisturise old dry leather it is excellent.

Re stitching - modern mass produced bridles are often stitched with synthetic thread which is not impacted by old however some/most high end bridlemakers still use linen which will rot. I use synthetic thread but very good quality stuff which is considerably more expensive than linen but it's what I prefer to work with.

The main argument against oil is not the impact on stitching but the fact that it expands the fibres within the leather and weakens its structure; oiled leather is much more likely to tear.

Then I restore very dry old leather I clean it with warn water and then massage in my version of Oz's leather condition whilst it's still damp - I may have to do this everyday for a week before it gets to the suppleness I'm happy with but I have not compromised the piece with a quick fix oiling,.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
It's not the stitching that's the problem, oil can and does oxidise the leather, making it go hard and weakens it.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Moisten slightly, then use copious amounts of Ko-Cho-Line. It's marvellous stuff. I found a harness which had been put away before the war and resurrected it by this method. I had to make some repairs, but it went from brittle and stiff to useable almost immediately.

Ko-Cho-Line was designed to be used before storage, not after, but honestly, it really does raise the dead where leather's concerned.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Just bought some. I’m reluctant to dump it in oil, so this may be the solution! Thanks, ladies.

I cleaned it and put on leather softener then left it in the car. It isn’t looking brilliant yet.