Old owner asking me to do something strange

FairyLights

Visit site
how awful for you OP. This woman is a bully. Regarding the passport issue then NO definitely not. As for the foal going for meat, it will still need a passport. Its her problem please dont give in to emotional blackmail, she sounds a terrible person.

JulesRules

Visit site
Sounds highly dodgy to me I suspect one of the following:

She is trying to diddle you out of your Mare by getting the passport in her name.

or

She is trying to pass of a foal that was not out of your mare as being so for some reason (has your mare got particularly good breeding? )

I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.

Be fair and offer to confirm in writing that you purchased the mare off her on such and such a date, or allow blood for DNA to be taken from your mare at her cost if you are comfortable with that, but anything more is unreasonable.

If you are not very good at saying NO, maybe get a friend to phone her and make it clear that its not going to happen.

windand rain

Visit site
You shouldn't do that it would be fraud and anyway if she never altered the mares passport to her name the foal would have to be registered by the person on the passport the day the foal was born the first owner so it is a big no it wouldn't work anyway. The registered owner at the time of birth is the only one who can register a foal

windand rain

Visit site
not in any breed society I have belonged to to register you have to own the mare or have a legitimate loan agreement from the breed society to register any foal so for all pure breds it is true
Anyone can register anything on a pet passport so the woman in question could do so without having to transfer the mare in and out of her name

Rose Folly

Visit site
Don't touch her with a bargepole! Get proper advice from BHS or a solicitor if you are concerned. She could have thought of all this before eshe sold you the mare. what a load of cobblers....

pip6

Visit site
Don't believe her when she is trying to guilt trip you! Talking out of her backside, reckon she has another plan in mind. How would you feel if she went and rsold your mare to another person as she was the legal owner? Once you sign her back to her, you have no way of making her redo the passport to you, you will have sold her back for nothing. She ends up with your horse to sell again (probably has buyer lined up) and your money. You signed back willingly, and have no comeback. DON'T do it, no matter what she comes out with.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I too would wonder if she was trying to pass off another foal!
Don't do it, you don't want to risk losing your mare in a dodgy deal.
You could of course, phone the relevant breed society, explain the situation and give them a tip off to keep an eye out .

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Agree with all the others. Don't do it. Her problem not yours, especially as she already ripped you off.

miss_bird

Visit site
There is no way you should eb doing this, consult the Passport issuing body, as it is very common for mares to be sold on and then the foal registered after the event.

Do not give herb the passport back and let her transfer the mare back into her name then back into yours. Also your vet maybe able to advise you on teh matter

Spring Feather

Visit site
She does not need to own the mare to register herself as the breeder of the foal. They are two separate things. Many people lease broodmares to breed foals for themselves and at no time do they ever own the mare. Registries aren't interested in that. She needs DNA from both dam and sire and both dam and sire need to register the foal.

windand rain

Visit site
With every pure bred foal I have registered in most cases not only do you have to have legitimate ownership or loan status through the society but also have to be a member of that society or be charged a pretty heft charge for not being. If this foal is a pure bred then those criteria will exist if not there is no problem just get it a pet passport. Mare sold with a foal at foot need the owner of the mare to register the foal or sign all the paperwork so the new owner can at the point of sale which includes the foals stud covering slip and in some cases dna results

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. I knew it all seemed strange so thats why i wanted to check I was right about my gut instinct. She just surprised me on the phone with it and made me feel as though i was being unreasonable by not agreeing to it by saying 'well, what am I meant to do now? I have a poor foal that will have to go for meat'. Im a fairly shy and quiet person and its a huge weakness of mine to be easily bullied by people because i dont stand up for myself. Thank you for all your advice, it has really helped - once again horse and hound has come to my rescue!

Awful vile woman!! Imagine saying that to you! Horrible. Just confirms my suspicions to tell her to do one!!

_GG_

Visit site
There is no way you should eb doing this, consult the Passport issuing body, as it is very common for mares to be sold on and then the foal registered after the event.

Do not give herb the passport back and let her transfer the mare back into her name then back into yours. Also your vet maybe able to advise you on teh matter

This! It can be done, it has been done and it will continue to be done.

Don't take her work for anything. Call the passport issuing society and tell them about the request and ask them for their advice in how the previous owner can still register the foal in her name. That way, next time she asks you you can just very nicely tell her that it's ok, you don't need to because all she has to do is x, y, z and it'll get done. If she disagrees, tell her you were told that by the passport society and they told you to keep the passport (which they absolutely will).

Last time I heard of a breeder having passport back "temporarily", she used it to sell an identical looking horse, passing it off as having the same fantastic breeding, so made a heck of a lot of money on a very low value youngster.

Don't risk it. She lost the right to anything to do with you horse the day she took your money, end of!

_GG_

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. I knew it all seemed strange so thats why i wanted to check I was right about my gut instinct. She just surprised me on the phone with it and made me feel as though i was being unreasonable by not agreeing to it by saying 'well, what am I meant to do now? I have a poor foal that will have to go for meat'. Im a fairly shy and quiet person and its a huge weakness of mine to be easily bullied by people because i dont stand up for myself. Thank you for all your advice, it has really helped - once again horse and hound has come to my rescue!

Just saw this and I agree...a vile and manipulative woman!

If she calls again and moans again, remind her that her current situation is entirely of her own making and that actually, the mare does not have to be in her name. Then tell her you do not wish to hear from her again. If you do, just ignore her.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Very smart folk on here. The very first thing that came into my mind when I read the OP was that the foal is not from that dam, but the breeding is good so she could pass it off.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I cant register the foal as she said it would then belong to me and she wants to show up as the breeder in his passport. I just feel a bit pressured as she said the previous owner to me who techincally was still the registered owner of my mare when the foal was born (because this woman didnt change it) no longer lives at the address on the passport and she cant be traced. I dont really want to do it as it sounds wrong and I dont 100% trust her as she tried to rip me off before when I bought her but shes piling on the pressure :(

I haven't read the rest of the thread. So she's not willing to risk her foal belonging to someone else and being given back to her for free, but she wants you to do the same with your horse?! Don't do it! Her problems with the foal are *her* problems not yours. I would hace no further contact with this dodgy character. Its true passports are not proof of ownership but they do help with that. The form to transfer the passport to another name is the passport issuers "change of ownership" form.

misskk88

Visit site
Well this lady sounds positively charming!

I personally would have nothing to do with her and she would be ultimately ignored/blocked. If you feel you must do something, contact passport authorities for your mare, explain the situation, and see how they say to handle it. If you then decide to take action, make sure it is at her cost and your convenience, but there is NO need for her to have your mares passport, whatever she says.

she is a dodgy woman, I am sure she will find some other way of registering this foal, without your mares passport, potentially of which she has some other pretence for wanting it.

Cabaret

Visit site
Absolutely not! As everyone else is saying, I would have nothing further to do with her.

As a breeder, doesn't she have the responsibility to know how to register a foal? Why didn't she think of this prior to the sale? You have purchased the mare and the registry of the foal is not your concern.

What guarantee can you have that she'll change the passport back within a reasonable time, or at all? It seems like you purchased the mare with relaitve little trouble, and it seems best to leave it at that.

equestriansports

Visit site
No. Nope. Nada. Not a chance. I wouldn't care how desperate she would get, she made you part with more money than you intended and then said that about the foal going for meat! Positively ridiculous. It is her own responsibility, not yours. Don't get guilt tripped into doing something you don't want to. Let her find out the hard way.

gina2201

Visit site
Tell her no? Or to 'go away' politely?

Not your problem especially being blatant cheeky re price I would not be entertaining this at all. She may hold the passport and demand even more money from you.

RollOnSpring

Visit site
Thank you for all your advice. Yes, I have a receipt for the purchase of her so that's something at least.

I have since blocked her number and not responded to her email. I have phoned the passport society to ask for their advice and like you, they told me not to do what shes asking and that is it techically legal and fraud. They did say that she had been in touch to ask for the previous owners details (the one she was registered to before me) and they said that they had refused to give her the info for data protection reasons. She said that i could give her these details myself if i wanted but seen as though i have blocked her number, i wont have to. :)

Tnavas

Visit site
Say NO firmly and walk away.

The dates on your mares passport will show who owned the mare at the time of the foals birth.

You could compromise and give her a copy of the passport. Write on it that you're now the registered owner of the mare and that this is a copy of the passport. Put lines through any blank areas so that she can't write herself in to it.