Old School Unicorn- Porter Eventing Boots

Lyle

Visit site
Hello everybody,

I'm searching for an absolute old school unicorn, the Porter Eventing Boots. These are incredibly difficult to source in Australia, I've only ever briefly handled a pair. I have a short, thick legged Welsh D with an incredibly sharp front end- I feel that the porter boots on his fronts would be absolutely ideal.
Apart from either managing to find a pair, I'm considering trying to knock something together using perforated foam, but, I really don't have comprehensive sizes/foam thickness, perforations etc. of the Porter Boots.

I'm wondering if there are any wonderful people out there who may be able to send me some photos and measurements, to help me on my quest? (Or perhaps could point me in the direction of where these boots might be lurking around!!)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Having been the person who used them I won’t go back. There is no comparison with modern materials now. Tbh they wouldn’t be up to the job of protecting tendons and I would worry about the type of plastics that were used as from the 1990s so inflexible etc. They also let the legs get hot.

Can you find tendon boots which will fit as would be a good choice? I run all mine in prolite tendon boots. Alternatively companies like NEW/Ecogold will do bespoke xc boots for you. They also do boots for thicker boned horses.

ihatework

Visit site
They are pretty rare here too, worth scouring eBay they do pop up from time to time.

If it helps a few years ago I had a very neat jumping chunky mixed breed 15.2hh with short thick cannons, who wasn’t easy to find boots for. The equilibrium all sports worked well for him. He would have been a similar stamp to a sportier Welsh D