Old Style Plaited Cotton Reins

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Can you still get the old style plaited/braided cottons reins from anywhere? I think cottage craft used to do them. The closest I can find now are continental webbed reins.

paddy555

Visit site
lightrider-reins-cotton

I asked this questions a few years back
the only ones I could find in the UK had no centre buckle. I wanted a buckle for safety

I got mine from the link above. They were OK. Can't say the leather was of the highest quality but they worked OK.
The site was good to d/w. I ordered 2 pairs because of the shipping costs. I think it took about a couple of weeks delivery. Not sure if that is the case now with Ukraine and everything else going on.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm quite bemused that people still look out for these reins? In my book they belong firmly in the past along with jute rugs and canvas nz rugs.

Horrible slippy things. Not at all fondly remembered from my Pony Club days.

because they are lovely comfortable reins to hold and perfect in very wet weather as there is no slippyness just good grip. I think we have about 5 pairs of them on various bridles. :D

paddy555

Visit site
Are these them? They look right from what I remember.
View attachment 90802
I think those may be nylon, the link above are cotton (but in Aus)
your reins have no buckle in the middle of the reins. Some may be happy with that. I am not because if the horse trod on them or got loose the breaking point would be on the bit ring which may be uncomfortable in the mouth/head. I prefer then to just break the buckle in the middle.

I think the ones on Maddie Moos link are nylon.

fiwen30

Visit site
Surely they’re a safety hazard these days? Especially vintage/older ones? There’s no way to maintain cotton like there is with leather, and I’m not sure I’d trust them to be secure at the points where the 2 materials meet.

ozpoz

Visit site
My pony had these in royal blue, perfectly matched to his string girth,in the early 70’s! I don’t do matchy anymore and remember them being horrible in the wet but don’t remember them wearing or fraying.