If the saddle fits ……….. use it
If horse is sick……. Ring the vet
If horse is well…… leave it alone and don’t go looking for trouble
If horse is too cold …….. add a rug
If horse is too warm …….. take off a rug
If the horse is sweating and warm….. clip it
If horse isn’t sweating and doing little work….. don’t clip it
Horse needs to be shod…… shoe the horse
Horse doesn’t need to be shod….. leave it until it does need it.
Horses ears are forward ….. it suspects you have treats or it likes you
Horses ears are back and teeth bared……. It doesn’t like you, it’s a narky sod or its going to eat you.

New School Horsemanship
If horse is too fat…… either convince yourself that round is a shape and ignore all suggestions that horse is fat (he is just big boned!) or panic and try to starve horse in four weeks while spending a fortune on horse nutritionalist to help you do so.
If horse is too skinny ………….. Panic buy every weight gaining supplement on the planet. Put horse on expensive diet recommended by an internet randomer. Expect results in 2-3 weeks time.
If horse looks good………. fret and worry every five minutes that it might not be or stay the perfect size, buy endless supplements to keep it exactly how it is.
If the saddle doesn’t fit….. pay someone a fortune to come out and tell you that you need a custom made €3000 saddle that they will provide you with so that they can then charge you for fixing it every few months too. Constantly fret about muscle wastage and ill-fitting saddles
If the saddle fits ……….. get someone to check it just in case. Pay them a fortune to come out and tell you that you need a custom made €3000 saddle that they will provide you with so that they can then charge you for fixing it every few months too. Constantly fret about muscle wastage and ill-fitting saddles
If horse is sick……. Panic, ask advice of randomers on the internet, panic again, watch horse get worse, eventually call the vet, second guess vets opinion, ask internet randomers again, eventually follow vets advice.
If horse is well…… look endlessly for things that might be wrong and spend a fortune trying to find out what they are
If horse is too cold …….. fret and worry about how many rugs the horse should be wearing, what weights they should be and who is going to take them on and off every few hours because the temperature went up or down a degree.
If horse is too warm …….. fret and worry about how many rugs the horse should be wearing, what weights they should be and who is going to take them on and off every few hours because the temperature went up or down a degree.
If the horse is sweating and warm….. over analyse for days on what type and shape of clip to give the horse because how on earth will you make sure he is not too warm or not too cold and now after clipping how on earth will you know what rugs to put on him!?
If horse isn’t sweating and doing little work….. but he will look nice clipped won’t he?
Horse needs to be shod…… what type of shoes? How often will everyone else’s horse get shod? Ask advice of randomers on the internet
Horse doesn’t need to be shod….. panic about whether it needs to be shod
Horses ears are forward ….. the horse loves you dearly and has a deep Bella and Edward twilight-esque relationship with you that is rare and wonderful
Horses ears are back and teeth bared……. Horses aura has changed color and he is trying to convey an important message…. and he might eat you

:D :D :D :D

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Got another one for the list.

Old school, horse won't tie up. Chain horse to a telegraph pole until it realises it can't break free.

New school. Buy plastic thingies at a fiver a time that break when the horse breathes too hard on it so it learns it never needs to be tied up.

saskiahorsey

Visit site
Found this and thought how very true lolol :D
Old School Horsemanship
If horse is too fat…… feed it less
If horse is too skinny ………….. feed it more
If horse looks good………. feed it the same
If the saddle doesn’t fit….. try a different one
If the saddle fits ……….. use it
If horse is sick……. Ring the vet
If horse is well…… leave it alone and don’t go looking for trouble
If horse is too cold …….. add a rug
If horse is too warm …….. take off a rug
If the horse is sweating and warm….. clip it
If horse isn’t sweating and doing little work….. don’t clip it
Horse needs to be shod…… shoe the horse
Horse doesn’t need to be shod….. leave it until it does need it.
Horses ears are forward ….. it suspects you have treats or it likes you
Horses ears are back and teeth bared……. It doesn’t like you, it’s a narky sod or its going to eat you.

New School Horsemanship
If horse is too fat…… either convince yourself that round is a shape and ignore all suggestions that horse is fat (he is just big boned!) or panic and try to starve horse in four weeks while spending a fortune on horse nutritionalist to help you do so.
If horse is too skinny ………….. Panic buy every weight gaining supplement on the planet. Put horse on expensive diet recommended by an internet randomer. Expect results in 2-3 weeks time.
If horse looks good………. fret and worry every five minutes that it might not be or stay the perfect size, buy endless supplements to keep it exactly how it is.
If the saddle doesn’t fit….. pay someone a fortune to come out and tell you that you need a custom made €3000 saddle that they will provide you with so that they can then charge you for fixing it every few months too. Constantly fret about muscle wastage and ill-fitting saddles
If the saddle fits ……….. get someone to check it just in case. Pay them a fortune to come out and tell you that you need a custom made €3000 saddle that they will provide you with so that they can then charge you for fixing it every few months too. Constantly fret about muscle wastage and ill-fitting saddles
If horse is sick……. Panic, ask advice of randomers on the internet, panic again, watch horse get worse, eventually call the vet, second guess vets opinion, ask internet randomers again, eventually follow vets advice.
If horse is well…… look endlessly for things that might be wrong and spend a fortune trying to find out what they are
If horse is too cold …….. fret and worry about how many rugs the horse should be wearing, what weights they should be and who is going to take them on and off every few hours because the temperature went up or down a degree.
If horse is too warm …….. fret and worry about how many rugs the horse should be wearing, what weights they should be and who is going to take them on and off every few hours because the temperature went up or down a degree.
If the horse is sweating and warm….. over analyse for days on what type and shape of clip to give the horse because how on earth will you make sure he is not too warm or not too cold and now after clipping how on earth will you know what rugs to put on him!?
If horse isn’t sweating and doing little work….. but he will look nice clipped won’t he?
Horse needs to be shod…… what type of shoes? How often will everyone else’s horse get shod? Ask advice of randomers on the internet
Horse doesn’t need to be shod….. panic about whether it needs to be shod
Horses ears are forward ….. the horse loves you dearly and has a deep Bella and Edward twilight-esque relationship with you that is rare and wonderful
Horses ears are back and teeth bared……. Horses aura has changed color and he is trying to convey an important message…. and he might eat you

:D :D :D :D

old school most horses weren't insured.... new school vets love insurance so will find wonderful ways to diagnose..... old school saddle doesn't fit try another... remember the awful little pony at pc that bucked all the time.... hmmmm..... I think im middle school !!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Got another one for the list.

Old school, horse won't tie up. Chain horse to a telegraph pole until it realises it can't break free.

New school. Buy plastic thingies at a fiver a time that break when the horse breathes too hard on it so it learns it never needs to be tied up.

Oi,
I have a horse that won't tie up in unfamiliar places. She has snapped the fabric on nylon headcollars- not the clips and ripped leather headcollars.
I don't use a plastic thingy though, I just leave the rope hanging on the floor or thread it through the metal ring un secured and she's happy to stand knowing that if she needs to, if worried by something, she could move away.

Tres nouvelle ecole.

cptrayes

Visit site
Oi,
I have a horse that won't tie up in unfamiliar places. She has snapped the fabric on nylon headcollars- not the clips and ripped leather headcollars.
I don't use a plastic thingy though, I just leave the rope hanging on the floor or thread it through the metal ring un secured and she's happy to stand knowing that if she needs to, if worried by something, she could move away.

Tres nouvelle ecole.

Naaa Chain her to a telegraph pole! She'll either break her neck or be cured and either way your problem will be solved :D

nix123

Visit site
I saw this a few days ago on facebook. Love it. I know of so many new horsemanship people. Must be showing my age i'm part of the old style!:eek:

hnmisty

Visit site
Haha true. Especially the clipping! There's a lady at the yard who has given hers full clips even though she only hacks, and once or twice a week at that.

Elsbells

Visit site
Don't think it's funny sorry, IMO its just another know it all who thinks they know it all and ridicules anyone who believes differently.

I wish people would mind their own business and look after their own horses instead of watching others!!

Rant over.

Arizahn

Visit site
Don't think it's funny sorry, IMO its just another know it all who thinks they know it all and ridicules anyone who believes differently.

I wish people would mind their own business and look after their own horses instead of watching others!!

Rant over.

<watches elsbells>

Only joking btw. Bad day?

I cba watching what others do with their horses, well unless they are actually setting fire to them etc. But I still enjoyed this thread. Personally I love the bit about just ringing the vet if horse is ill - how many times have we seen that advice on here? And I'm suspicious of the price attached to saddles too. Yes, a properly fitting saddle is needed. No, it shouldn't require a second mortgage!

Luci07

Visit site
Enjoyed that although my shoeing is scheduled in every 5 weeks and I have always down that!

Saddle....rings true for me right now, but in my defence your honours...I have a horse I bought as a just backed lightly 5 year. I have had endless problems over his saddles as he seems to change on a weekly basis. I have a patient saddler and she tells me he has not finished changing yet as finally at 7, he is now in the process of developing a wither!

jofwigby

Visit site
My friend and I caused uproar with not changing outdoor rugs to indoor when bringing in every night - turn necks back and check over fair enough but why swap warm for cold and again in the morning ?!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Rugs = 1 New Zealand and 1 jute
Saddle = the one it came with, end of discussion.
Clip = only hunters and the posh kids ponies were clipped
Feed = bran, pony cubes, flaked maize, barley, oats, sugar beet and chaff.
What was insurance?
Vet did teeth if you asked nicely but normally the farrier did it.

Horses survived in the rugs they had.
They weren't fat, didn't have supplements, tanked off with us regularly, we survived.

I think I am old school

Not saying it was better and I appreciate times have moved on but why is everything so dammed complicated now.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Clip = only hunters and the posh kids ponies were clipped.

lol...I was a posh kid then but in my defence, only a trace and my pony was out jumping through the winter.

I'll admit to getting caught up in the 'must-try-every-supplement-under-the-sun / rug-it-up-to-the-eyeballs' school of keeping horses when I was on a DIY yard but after a bit I gave myself a slap and reverted to my old school pony day ways.